• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CNBC reports US Air / United in merger talks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The answer is this: There isn't one damned thing that is "fair" about this profession. Who gets hired and where, who's company goes T/U, who gets bought, who gets furloughed, who's executives dump your retirement. This profession is one giant SUCK and pilots, as a group are greedy and stupid (and I know I am in that group).

I like that post. That is why we are our own worst enemy. Well said.

M

Actually my opinion is the opposite of yours, relative seniority only works at two similar carriers.
Define what you mean by "works".
I and my fellow pilots had nothing to do with the east weat mud slinging but could be potentially fall victim to a list that has younger pilots at the top of the list.
What does a pilot's age have to do with anything? I've flown with plenty of captains younger than me.
From the view of the "third party" the nic sucks.
Your opinion, like mine, is irrelevant.
Any pilot coming into a merger wants the olfderpilots on top and the younger ones on the bottom.
Who cares what a pilot "wants"? We all deserve to be A380 captains but that ain't gonna happen. That's why it goes to a neutral to decide.
As for WHO is bringing anomosity, does it mattter? A disfunctional pilot group is a disfunctional pilot group regardless of where it is coming from.
Of course it matters. Making everybody equally unhappy is not the criterion by which judges and arbitrators operate.
I have no idea what your DOH at AWA is but I do know you are senior to a lot of USAir pilots that were there long before you were at AWA, in fact before you were even at TWA.
So? If I'd been hired by Air Tran the same month I was hired by AWA I'd be a captain instead of barely holding on to my job. Sucks to be me but that's how it goes.

Twa dude
could you possibly explain to me how you think it is fair that 2 guys both hired June of 1986 one at us airways one at america west.
On the Nic award the west guy is 1500 numbers senior to the east guy. 1500 numbers.
Yes, I'm happy to explain. ALPA Merger Policy:

a. Preserve jobs.
b. Avoid windfalls to either group at the expense of the other.
c. Maintain or improve pre-merger pay and standard of living.
d. Maintain or improve pre-merger pilot status.
e. Minimize detrimental changes to career expectations.

What is wrong with DOH with fences and seat protection.
What's wrong is that in the case of AWA/USair a DOH integration puts a pilot who was on furlough with no hope of recall at the time of the merger senior to 2/3 of the AWA list. And fences don't protect from furlough. For a more complete explanation please read the Nicolau Award.

The answer is this: There isn't one damned thing that is "fair" about this profession. Who gets hired and where, who's company goes T/U, who gets bought, who gets furloughed, who's executives dump your retirement. This profession is one giant SUCK and pilots, as a group are greedy and stupid (and I know I am in that group).

The truth. AND it applies to this world we live in as well.

Life isn't fair, this world is one giant suck and people are greedy and stupid.

Not part of the LCC soap opera or at UAL, just an impartial observer. If this merger happens, welcome back to ALPA, and get use to the Nicolau, because its the list that would be used in constructing an integrated seniority list with the UAL pilots.

LOL. Agreed about back to ALPA. BTW, I think, merger or not, it's only a matter of time before USAPA implodes and collapses in a heap of stinking, burning rubble resulting in a mass vote to return to ALPA.

Re Nicolau; his health is deteriorating. We had a scare just a few weeks ago that he'd collapsed and was in intensive care midway through a ruling between Eagle, APA and AMR. He pulled through and issued the ruling, but I fear his years are numbered in single digits.

I think Date of Hire is the best way to go.
Normally, I'd agree with you, but when the seniority in question is so different that it puts almost one entire group on top of the other, then another method must be found out of fairness. Add that problem is that the senior group is actually the pilots of the acquired and failing airline, not the acquiring airline/pilot group.

What's wrong is that in the case of AWA/USair a DOH integration puts a pilot who was on furlough with no hope of recall at the time of the merger senior to 2/3 of the AWA list. And fences don't protect from furlough. For a more complete explanation please read the Nicolau Award.
Agreed 100%.

This is such a goat rope...I remember back in 2000 USAIR F100 guys were telling me in my 737-200 that they couldnt wait to get their hands on the 747-400s. Now we got Aer Lingus, Tilton, East vs West, RJ cancer, merger or buyout and no contract. Time to get out my popcorn this is gonna be a long horror movie.

This is such a goat rope...I remember back in 2000 USAIR F100 guys were telling me in my 737-200 that they couldnt wait to get their hands on the 747-400s. Now we got Aer Lingus, Tilton, East vs West, RJ cancer, merger or buyout and no contract. Time to get out my popcorn this is gonna be a long horror movie.

More like a 2 hour colonscopy exam... Just think close your eyes and think of a happy place.

Latest resources

Back