• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CMR Sick Calls Xmas Day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There was no "organized sick-out" at Comair. Apparently enough people decided that the motivation to call in sick was greater than the motivation to go to work. I can't say that I blame them, Comair's Christmas bonus was a Honey Baked ham and an imposed contract. Sure the ham was good, but it wasn't worth $10,000 a year for the next five years.

Apparently its getting someones attention:

"Per Jim Murry, any pilot that calls in sick needs to speak to chief
Pilot Steve Briner.

For example:

CA Murry calls in sick, you mark him sick and then tell the pilot that
"I have been instructed to send all sick calls to the chief pilot". Then
transfer the call to Steve Briners cell phone at 859-xxx-xxxx.

If you have any questions please ask. I'll advise as soon as we can
stop this process."

I don't think this will help!!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, your opinions are so highly valued (at least egocentrically). Value and correctness are obviously two different constructs in this case; at least you tried to build a coalition--gotta give you that.

Nighttrain (FWIW): I went into the military during the drawdown in 1993, never to flight training and was non-rated ops for 7 1/2 yrs (13BX & 86PX)--no regrets (thanks for your service indeed); yup, bought 73-type and consider it an investment; lectures are for people who want to learn--obviously not aimed at nitwits like yourself.

WSurf: I suggest you reread it--you might learn something. I don't know who heard it, but as far as I can tell, it's written not oral. Those who don't want to read it, can stop. Please let me know what you think rational is...(I'd be curious to see if you have a mind of your own, or just spout off).

SKYWRJGUY: I agree with your posts. (just thought you needed someone on your side, LOL)

The problem is that seniority is the ONLY thing that is rewarded. There are ways rewarding employees for their years of service, also allowing for a decent quality of life for those in the lower ranks. I did not say that shorter lived employees were entitled to every holiday off.

ALPA has created huge disparities in compensation and work rules, making pilots their own worst enemies when it comes to negotiations. A junior pilot should have to pay their dues, but the disparity can be huge. I hear so much thrashing on new hire pilots in the industry here because they has SJS. Those guys are trying to pay their dues, so they can sit in the flight deck of a mainline aircraft someday; making better money with a better quality of life. The guys who are at the majors are pissed off because of them, yet they had to fly something smaller, at a pittance for wages, to get there as well. ALPA's system has failed airline pilots at all levels. They gave too much to the guys at the top, left hardly any scraps at the bottom, which has allowed the companies to play the groups against each other. Mass sickouts are not going to help your cause.

This is completely correct,and until ALPA becomes a true trade union, and not an every MEC for itself loose association will things improve.
Calling in sick is ok, though, when your company screws you in court, takes your pay and rules, and puts the money in their own pockets, and then denies any holidays off. Pilots have families, too, and the passengers/customers? They don't care about us, either. Yeah, they pay for salaries, but who pays for all the holidays and family events missed?
Bottom line, it is MANAGEMENTS responsibility to provide for customer service, and employee morale.
Take care of your employees, and they will take care of business.
Abuse and antagonize them, and expect the results...

SKYWRJGUY: I agree with your posts. (just thought you needed someone on your side, LOL)

I don't necessarily disagree with the uncompromising ethics crowd, but when do you ever see these guys make a post about the ever more compromising ethics on the other side of bargaining table? Never, that's when. Eventually, if the leadership constantly says unethical behavior is not just okay, but the best choice, the workforce will follow their example. That is what's happening at these outfits that are now weaseling out of the "binding contracts" that they signed. Again I say "sick"!

Lets break this down to it's simplest form. Communication.

Companies don't communicate with the English language. They speak the language called "MONEY."

SKYWRJGUY, I don't fault you for your noble intentions at integrity. However it's naive to think you can use the English language when communicating to your employer, particularly if your employer is an airline. The only language they understand is MONEY.

Verbs, nouns, adjectives may stream through the air, and managers nod their heads as if they hear. But it is all in vain and a waste of your breathe.

Now as far as integrity goes. It's a matter of integrity to provide for yourself and your family. If a company won't listen to English, it's your responsibility to communicate with them in THEIR chosen language.

Lets break this down to it's simplest form. Communication.

Companies don't communicate with the English language. They speak the language called "MONEY."

SKYWRJGUY, I don't fault you for your noble intentions at integrity. However it's naive to think you can use the English language when communicating to your employer, particularly if your employer is an airline. The only language they understand is MONEY.

Verbs, nouns, adjectives may stream through the air, and managers nod their heads as if they hear. But it is all in vain and a waste of your breathe.

Now as far as integrity goes. It's a matter of integrity to provide for yourself and your family. If a company won't listen to English, it's your responsibility to communicate with them in THEIR chosen language.

Well said! I love you... er... like a brother. Big guy!:eek: :laugh:

Pilot Steve Briner.

For example:

They tried to do this to me on New Years Eve. I hung up. I fulfilled my obligation by telling the scheduler I was sick. If Steve wants to talk to me, he can do it next time I come to work.

Apparently its getting someones attention:

Pilot Steve Briner.

For example:

If you have any questions please ask. I'll advise as soon as we can
stop this process."

I don't think this will help!!!!!!

Pretty simply way around this issue. If I still worked there and they told me this, my response is fine mark me out and transfer me. Once phone rings, HANGUP!!!! There is no requirement to talk to the CP in the contract therefore why should I put myself into harms way. My child is sick or my eye hurts is a good excuse. Remember from the days of learning to fly....FAA says you should not fly if you suffer from the following:

I - Illness
M - Medication
S - Stress
A - Anxious
F - Fatigued
E - (forgot what it is)

POINT IS, you know dam* well there is no recourse for the pilots who call in sick. I say prove I was abusing it, I'll say I suffer from ANAL GLAUCOMA.

I cannot see my A$$ COMING IN TO WORK!!!

Stand strong Comair brothers and sisters. I'm pulling for you.

Pretty simply way around this issue. If I still worked there and they told me this, my response is fine mark me out and transfer me. Once phone rings, HANGUP!!!! There is no requirement to talk to the CP in the contract therefore why should I put myself into harms way. My child is sick or my eye hurts is a good excuse. Remember from the days of learning to fly....FAA says you should not fly if you suffer from the following:

I - Illness
M - Medication
S - Stress
A - Anxious
F - Fatigued
E - (forgot what it is)

POINT IS, you know dam* well there is no recourse for the pilots who call in sick. I say prove I was abusing it, I'll say I suffer from ANAL GLAUCOMA.

I cannot see my A$$ COMING IN TO WORK!!!

Stand strong Comair brothers and sisters. I'm pulling for you.

E- Eating, (Meaning how is your diet). I know it's driving you crazy. Happy New Year!

Latest resources

Back