Clip-on ties vs. hand-tied ties

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Clip on all the way......

I've worn both types over long periods of time.

You never have to undo the normal tie if you do it right, but in order for it to look nice, you have to tighten it up around your neck.

With the clip on, if you put it on correctly, you can't really notice that it is a clip on (unless you wear a shirt size that is 1/2" too big in the neck b/c you're used to wearing a normal tie). The neck of your shirt isn't tight, either.

Unless I'm wearing a personal suit, never again a tie tie.
:D

The best Captain I ever flew with (retired Naval Commander and MP) taught me about the best tie style. Take your uniform tie, tie it, put it on and adust it. Then take it off, cut it in two at the place where it goes behind your neck. Then sew a velcro patch on the recently cut ends. Now you have a "real" tie that acts like a clip on. I was told that he did his ties that way because his police training taught him to avoid wearing things that people/perps could grab ahold of.

regards,
enigma

I'm still not going back to a tie tie. I can see some of the fashion points mentioned above but my clip on still looks better than the stupid hat I wear all the time to stay in compliance with company policy.

I admit it, I wear a clip-on. The minute I walk through the cockpit door, I take it off. I fly comfortable, and don't spill any food or drink on it. Just before I leave the cockpit, I button my shirt, put on the clip-on, adjust it in the mirror and head out. Been doing this for eight years now.

Tie ties are a safety hazard and should be banned.

Zipper ties have one more vote!

We only spend a small fraction of our day in the public eye anyway. The rest is in the cockpit, lounging in the crew room, driving home, etc. The zipper loosens and tightens quick, and is self straightening for all these transitions between comfortable times and PR times. Go zipper!

The real kicker is that the zipper tie is completely non-metallic for the benefit of the white shirts.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back