Classes/interviews for SWA..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey guys and gals..

I just got off the phone with both the union as well as the GO in DAL..

The bottom line is this..

At this point the numbers for the 3rdQ are showing making a little money..
The outlook for the 4thQ looks pretty bleak..

Having said all that the company line is no new classes for the remainder of this year as well as the possibilty of no classes until after the 1stQ 2003..

The aircraft numbers are 6 200s to be retired with 14 737-700s being picked up for a fleet increase of 8..

The return of some of the military folks are going to increase available staffing and right now the staffing for what we have is about right to a little on the fat side..

The retirements at this point are not going to have a major impact on hiring for several months..With both the stock price and the economy being what it is dont look for alot of folks calling in "rich"..

But...All of this is subject to change at a moments notice..I asked what would it take to return to running classes again and was told by both sources that the economy has to have a pretty good recovery for them to let go of their cash reserves...

I also asked about Airtran,Alaska,and Jetblue..Both Alaska and Airtran are expanding into markets based on speculation and are spending money doing it..If Jetblue cant find the cash to make the defered payments about to come due then their world may come to a very sudden end..

On the positive side of things both sources were very positive about the future and our position in the marketplace...When the flying public returns then we are in a great position to do just about anything we want in the way of expansion..

For whats its worth.. this is about as close to the horses mouth as i care to get..Any higher in the food chain and some Wild Turkey would be needed..

Mike
MLBWINGBORN

BIG thanks!

MLB -

Thanks a million for putting up your posts... NO I would rather NOT hear some of the data - (IF I were to take the head-in-the-sand approach that is...) BUT reality IS that the world is quite different than it was 364 days ago....

I'll keep my bets on SWA & SWA Management, thankyouverymuch. They have proven to me for 32 years that they understand what it takes to run an airline the "correct" way.

Call me when you can - I'll just be Tredding until you do....

Thanks again - much appreciated data MLB!!:D

Regards - Tred

Oppsahh,

Two of the military folks in the October class are dudes who already went thru the Dallas class, but did not get thru their 5 rides or so (indoc?), before 9-11. The others I have no idea.

Aplus9

Rumors

MLB et al...

The info I posted was from a close friend whom I trust. I don't know how high the source of the info was but then again I don't have a crystal ball either. I just posted what I was told. For a guy who is trying to get into the pool I am looking for information to make a few life changing decisions. I just passed on what I heard. Sorry if the info may not be 100 percent gospel truth.

"Krunch"

Mike... Thanks Man

As for all other fellow pool rats.....

Southwest has an incredible reputation for taking care of its employees that are already on the property. I think that is still the number one reason why I can't wait to go work for them. They really don't owe us poolies anything. I hope they continue to be cautious to ensure the stability, prosperity, and happiness of all the people that are currently making SWA successful. Then... when we all get to big D, I hope that they will continue to take care of all of us! I wish it was tomarrow but I can wait.

For all the people not currently flying, I really hope it happens quickly for you. For me, I am lucky to be currently flying and I'd much rather keep it that way than get on the bottom and become the first F Bomb in SWA history because they weren't being cautious. Stick with the proven plan. It has worked for a long time!! Slow and Steady is the SWA way. So hang in there!!
When we all get there I guarantee it will be well worth the wait!!!

OAK :D

Krunch..

Thats what this board is all about..The more ears on the railroad tracks the better the info..

I am always ready and willing to be wrong about any posts ive made..I would love to be wrong about my last one..Thats for sure..
If there is anything i can do to help just send me a PM and i will see how i can help..

Mike
MLBWINGBORN

Today y confirmed Mike's latest, no sign of classes this year, and the spring looks like the earliest next year. I have been offered a 1 year contract back in the military and have to seriously consider whether to take it or not. I'm sure all you guys behind me in the list are keen that I recommit! :)

If there is a glimmer, they (SWA) do seem to have their ducks in a row. If anybody can help me stay out of the military by offering me a well paid job cutting their grass, painting their house or polishing their Corvette (B747dog!) then I am available at a very cheap rate.

Mike,

I know we all hate to see the slow time, but the stock market shows that ALK may have bit off too much in a poor economy.

I wish my phone would ring for an interview, but it's a good thing SWA is holding back and playing it safe.

Some times the truth hurts.

This info is right on with what I heard from a friend who works at the training center. He said POSSIBLY one more class this year then no more until mid-next year. What ever that means. This came from a Department Head budget meeting last Thursday.

I am also glad to have a spot in the pool. I try to count my blessings. Got a job currently, got a spot in the pool. But looking back on Sept 11th today is dragging me down a bit. Almost makes me want to get back in the AF just so I can be around to bomb Iraq again. Nahh, I guess I'll just have to watch it on Fox News.

For all you interested there is a good audio from CFO of SWA at CBS MarketWatch. I got there through Yahoo Finance, LUV News. Said they are expecting 5% growth rate this year and next year also.

Bake

Latest resources

Back