Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Expansion?

Maynard said:
If I worked at JetBlue, Alaska, or Airtran, I would be very nervous as to why my company is expanding while SWA is not...

I believe the reason for WN caution about the fourth quarter and beyond stems from the fact that your company has some major labor contracts up for negotiations and that will substantally increase your costs.

Aren't the FA's trying for industry leading pay along with the Mechs and rampers?

I am curious..

I thought the justification for the pilots accepting the new contract (and locking in costs for the next four years) was to provide the company with $$ to grow, faster upgrades, better schedules, etc.
At least the pilots have a new pay raise until growth starts again......

Well...
The reasons for signing vary from person to person but i think one of the biggest reasons was to prepare for a full blown section six opener in 2006.

Some folks that arnt going to be around in 2006 signed because it was money that they would otherwise not have made as most of them have topped out in pay..

Another thought was that what we get now will make it easier to get what we want later and allow time to do some union building while taking some steps in the right direction..

But..like i said..
Lots of different reasons..

Mike...
MLBWINGBORN

Im sorry..
I missed the point of your question then..

You are correct when you say that it is good for them to have everyone under contract as it allows them to forecast costs more accurately..

And yes the FAs are pushing for alot of issues as well as the rampers/mechs..The Mechs are much closer i think than they have been and i understand that their board has voted to recomend the latest offer..Its now up to the rank and file to see where it goes..Time will tell..

A SWA with a clear picture of their labor costs in the present market could be deadly to those airlines that are overlapping our routes..

Man..Am i ever glad to be here and not out there..

Mike
MLBWINGBORN

MLBWINGBORN,

I heard from a friend that the net gain for aircraft next year was to be 14 that was after the retirement of the -200's. Plus you add in the 200 plus retirements 11 x 14 + 200 = empty the pool...

My friend also had some Intel on 1 class per month starting 15 Sept and going through the end of this year and in 03 cranking up during the spring again... Like they say in Vegas double up to catch up...

"Krunch"

That would be really good news for alot of people..
But..Not whats being said right now in managment meetings...

I just dont see how they are going to take planes unless they are going to park them in the desert unless they start cranking out classes..

Mike
MLBWINGBORN

Krunch

Hey, don't get me wrong, I luved the good mojo in your last post, but please explain a few things.

1. Where did you get the info on the net gain of 14 new planes?

2. 200 pilot retirements next year? This number is about 120 higher than most estimates.

Like Mike says... "That would be really good news for alot of people.. "

Krunch, as optimistic as I would like to be, I don't believe your information is correct. Let's take the first part: Class 15 Sep 02 -- If this is true why haven't any of us poolies received a call yet? Since this information seems not to be happening, I have to believe that the rest of it is incorrect also. Seems MLB and the others have the true info. Man I wish you were right, I'm ready to be in DAL for quite a few weeks, not to mention a steady paycheck. KEEP THE RUMORS COMING THOUGH, IT GIVES US SOMETHING TO DO EACH DAY.

Bake

From the system CP. 14 aircraft next year. Retiring 9 200's = 5 net. And the usual "all things subject to change".

Latest resources

Back