• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MLBWINGBORN

Freedom Fighter
Hey guys and gals..

Just got back from a trip and i thought i would try to share with you a number of things heard on the road..

According to a number of sources, the company is some what worried about the 4thQ..They are pushing everyone to watch their expences at the dept heads level.

A total of 3 more 737-700s will be picked up in the remainder of 2002..

As for aircraft numbers in 2003...

A total of 14 new 737s with 6 being offset by 737-200 retirements for a total gain of 8..The talk right now is NOT to increase pilot staffing but rather "absorb" the aircraft into the system..Im not sure how they are going to take 8 new 737s and not man them..

The last number ive heard thats supposed to be in the pool was 275..

While there seems to be a number of Capt upgrade classes going on, there havnt been any new hire classes scheduled in the training dept for the remainder of the year..If they dont hire anyone in Oct,Nov,or Dec it would be the first time in a long time that has happened..

BWI,HOU,and MDW construction is moving along and looks like BWI will be completed no later than the second week in Oct..

I have talked to a number of Ops folks in BWI and they are talking about a 300 flight per day schedule in the near future..WOW!!

As always i hope everybody can hang in there and myself and others will try our best to keep you updated..

For those of you in the pool now i can only say that the general thoughts are that the company is gearing up for a major expansion at some point in the future..When that happens those of us here as well as those of you that are currently treading water are going to be in for a great ride..

So keep doing what you gotta do to keep the bread on the table..But keep smiling because you know you are in line for the best job out there..

Mike
MLBWINGBORN

:D

I have a buddy that always checks up with the Midway CP for myself and a few other floaters on the latest hiring news. He got the latest update about a week or so ago.

The news also suggested that there would be no hiring for the rest of the year. He told my pal that the next class looks like around April 2003. :(

We all know that it is comimg..... just a matter of time..... hang in there everybody!

:D

Oak

Not good news. I just don't know if I can keep doing what I've been doing for another year. JetBlue is looking better and better.

Good Luck All,
shootr

P.S. How can SWA not expand while JetBlue, Alaska, and Airtran all are? We can hope it's just contract games but it seems less and less likely every day.

Last edited:
I have a feeling that they will call us sooner than we think!!

LearAv8r-

Expansion?

P.S. How can SWA not expand while JetBlue, Alaska, and Airtran all are? We can hope it's just contract games but it seems less and less likely every day.
If I worked at JetBlue, Alaska, or Airtran, I would be very nervous as to why my company is expanding while SWA is not...

What I heard...

I just had a SWA pilot jumpseat the other day. We were talking about upcoming classes and he mentioned an internal memo advising no classes for the rest of the year. Kind of sounds like Mike just confirmed that.

Don't know much about these rumors, but does anyone have any idea how long SWA might hold on to us poor poolies?... hopefully until we are in class, in spite of what looks like a potentially very long wait for those of us far from the drain...

This SWA we're talkin' about...

No worries mate...SWA is not gonna yank the rug out from under ya. Especially since you went out and got a type on their behalf. With their unique employee/management reputation it's just flat out not their style.

That's my thoughts anyways.

As expected

Figured this was going to happen. BTW, is anyone going to RETIRE from this company in 2003?? Assuming no growth then wouldn't SWA have to replace retiring pilots? *sigh* Whatever!!!!

Don't fret...

Things are actually back to normal. Back in the 80's and early 90's it was quite the norm for pilots to wait 9 months to a year in the pool at SWA. It's just that with the huge growth that happened in the late 90's/early2000, the company never had a chance to develop a pool. So, I think, things are back to normal. SWA is being VERY cautious right now which is probably a good thing for all of you pool folks. BTW, congratulations to all of you, you are WAY ahead of a lot of people...(approx. 8000 furloughed airline pilots). Hope that helps...
MJK

Latest resources

Back