• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Clarification of airline codes for us ignorant types

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then I know I'm not alone in the matter.

You must reread what you wrote, then I believe you may be the only one.

Let me explain briefly so you can understand. I know they are airline codes, I don't fly for said airlines, so I do not know what the specific codes stand for. Now reread what you wrote and this will make sense, hopefully. :beer:

I think there is a misconception out there that if you use an airline's actual name in a post, you will be banned for one week by clr4theapch.

(sure hope he/she has a sense of humor, otherwise I'll see you all on the otherside) :erm:

Last edited:
Let me explain briefly so you can understand. I know they are airline codes, I don't fly for said airlines, so I do not know what the specific codes stand for. Now reread what you wrote and this will make sense, hopefully. :beer:
I'm sorry, but you've lost me now. Your not flying for those airlines is completely irrelevant to not knowing the codes.

Even if you don't fly for the above airlines, doesn't mean you shouldn't know their codes. ICAO codes, okay, sure, but you'd have a hard time looking up info on a reservation system if you don't know IATA codes, as I'm sure they teach you at least BASIC res skills wherever you are, and there isn't a single res system out there that accepts ICAO airline codes.

You're kidding right....
You're either not in the industry or so out of touch you think CP flies CRJs, or ASA has EMBs.
Did you get those acronyms???

I'm sorry, but you've lost me now. Your not flying for those airlines is completely irrelevant to not knowing the codes.

Even if you don't fly for the above airlines, doesn't mean you shouldn't know their codes. ICAO codes, okay, sure, but you'd have a hard time looking up info on a reservation system if you don't know IATA codes, as I'm sure they teach you at least BASIC res skills wherever you are, and there isn't a single res system out there that accepts ICAO airline codes.
Pompous aren't you? Like playing Trivial Pursuit?

I've flown at airlines for over 12 years. I don't know all these codes and I don't care about these codes. I know my airline's code so I can give it to gate agents when jump seating. Knowing any more is just trivia.

I agree with AA73. Just use AA, SWA, DAL, HAL, AWA USAir, etc. It's easier and those of us who don't care about wearing a secret decoder ring to prove we're "in the industry" can usnderstand who is being ragged on today.

BTW, I've never been taught to use a reservation system either - not my job as a pilot.

sure would be nice if folks used actual airline names instead of these codes randomly drawn from nowhere. thx.

When I got furloughed from DH, I had interviews at OO, EV, and XE. Had I gone to EV, the same thing would have happened to me that happened at XE. FO->CA->FO. Had I gone to OO, I would be a DEN based CRJ CA.

Wish I got my ATP, I would have gone to NJ.

XJ = continental express (or express jet, whoever the hell they are now?)

XE=ExpressJet dba Continental Express, United Express, Branson Air Express, charter ops.

I believe it was RU till they finally got CASS, but I could be wrong

Read what Jim said.

As for you being lost...well, that's obvious. :laugh: I care not to explain again, don't need no smokin' heads.

Enjoy, have a beer. :beer:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back