• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CL30 or G200?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why would Bombardier not offer at least a single IRU as an option, especially since it seems to be a big knock against using it on a regular basis internationally?

Hell, Gulfstream offers a single IRU as an option on the G150...

That's a question that has come up several times since the start of the program. Bombardier's answer is that it was never intended to be an international airplane...remember it was originally the "Continental" intended for East Coast to West Coast operations...it wasn't until operators started taking the aircraft overseas that the IRU issue and lack of some redundancies came up...there has been some testing of IRU's in various installations...Bombardier hasn't said if they have any immediate intention of finding a solution...but I would guess that when the G-250 hits the market it won't be long before you see it as an option at the very least.

If you're primary operating area is North America, I'd go with the CL300. However if you're planning on International operations, Look at the G250 and have Gulfstream put you in a G200 while you're waiting for delivery. I believe they will buy it back from you if put in the contract/

Great time to buy a used 300. Plenty to choose from on the resale market.

And plenty of furloughed Flexjet pilots willing to fly it. Cheap!

Baggage isn't an issue. I've had 8 sets of golf clubs and overnight bags in there, with crew bags and international kit. Bring big things in through the cabin. Passengers do love it; only issue I ever had was small trash can and not enough storage for catering when you have 8 folks on a cross country.

I fly the CL30 so I am a bit partial. The G200 has a nice cabin and the owner will like that. From a pilot standpoint the CL30 is better, and a better performer. The new G250 will be awesome and I suggest if you are waiting a bit to look hard at that. I've been on board a Hawker 4000 and the cabin just feels small. The whole plane looks smaller, but that is nominal. Right now IS the time to buy a used 300. I know you will not be upset. Anything bigger than the Lear 55 will give the passengers more comfort, and you will enjoy flying any of them.

If you are not looking only at new, a company on our airport did his same drill and ended up buying a used 604. There have been several 604's sell in the 10-12 mil class. Fuel burn is more, but far less dollars. They also compared Falcon 2000 / 50EX / 900. There is a good market on the 50EX right now in my opinion. Cessna and Hawker are getting pretty aggressive right now on new as well. Our New Hawker has been a dream. We do not stretch the aircraft however. 900XP is pretty impressive.

I fly a G-200 in a dept that has a CL30. I've not flown the Challenger but I can make things pretty simple.

From the back of the cockpit seats forward the CL is superior. From the same point all the way to the APU exhaust the Galaxy is superior. The cabin in the GALX is far and away the better of the two in terms of amenities, finish, galley, everything but the pass-through baggage. And the flat floor that the challenger guys rave about to me makes the interior look even more like a trailer. It even has a bizarre smell (ours do, at least).

All that having been said there is no mistaking that in terms of runway performance the CL is again superior. The GALX does okay until you thrown in runway contamination, then you're just about d*uched.

The GALX is a little faster, burns a little more fuel and won't shoot straight up to the 40's the way that the CL will. Gulfstream support is vastly superior to the Bombardier support as has been said.

At the end of the day, the G250 will be the best of all three if you can wait. If not, there are A LOT of G-200s on the market right now. CL30s, too, I think.

Latest resources

Back