CL-601 down in Montrose, CO

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Montrose accident

Channel 9 here in Denver just ran a report with this information.

Dick Ebersol, president of NBC Sports, and two of his sons were on the aircraft. Mr. Ebersol and one of his sons survived. His other son is missing.

Best wishes to all who were on the aircraft and their families.

Departure. Aircraft coming out of the Colorado ski towns when its IMC sometimes depart light on gas, and go to MTJ to tanker up. News is saying it was a chartered 601 and it appears the crew was killed, and the pax were injured but survived.

"but will consider applicant with the minimum experience below who is ready and willing to pay for Initial training."

Sometimes I hate this business...

I have worked with the folks at Jet Alliance a bit over the years. I have brokerd from them and they have always been safe and professional.

I am sad to hear of the loss and extend my condolances to all those related to the victims.

Falcon Capt said:
Who oned the plane? This report now says Global Aviation of Los Angeles, other reports say Jet Alliance of NJ???

I hate the media!
The media report quoted an FAA source:
"'Kenitzer identified the plane as a CL-60 Challenger owned and operated by Global Aviation of Los Angeles, a charter service company............."

In fact, all the media reports I read specifically referenced their sources (FAA, MTJ Aviation (who said it was a Gulfstream...wrong), named eyewitness). That's the way they are supposed to do it!

My guess would be that Global Aviation is a broker, and that the actual aircraft belonged to Jet Alliance. If you check Jet Alliance's website, there is a link to a broker called "Global something or other".

I'd give you the actual name but their website must be being overwhelmed as I keep getting a "Service Unavailable" message.

I posted the weather from the morning at MTJ in the "Corporate" link on Flightinfo.

NBC Sports chief Dick Ebersol survives plane crash that killed two

MONTROSE, Colo. (AP) - NBC Sports chairman Dick Ebersol survived a charter plane crash that killed at least two people Sunday, the network said in a statement through its Denver affiliate KUSA-TV.

Montrose County sheriff's officials said three survivors, including Ebersol, were seriously injured when the jet crashed through a fence and burst into flames at Montrose Regional Airport, which serves the Telluride Ski Area.

The network said the pilot and co-pilot were killed. Rescuers were searching for a sixth person listed on the plane's manifest whose seat from the plane was missing from the wreckage.

Linda McCool, a nursing supervisor at Montrose Memorial Hospital, said three men were brought to the hospital after the crash, but had all been transferred to other hospitals by Sunday afternoon. McCool would not release where or how they were transported, or what condition they were in.

Identities of other victims were not immediately released pending notification of relatives, but KUSA said Ebersol's wife, actress Susan St. James, was not on the plane.

Authorities were searching for the missing person in rugged terrain by helicopter and on the ground.

The crash occurred in an area covered with small brush and cedar trees, sheriff's Communications Supervisor David Learned said. A large drainage ditch also is at the site.

It was snowing in the area but regional Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Allen Kenitzer said he did not know if that was a factor. The National Weather Service had forecast up to two feet of snow by afternoon in the area.

The plane was on its way to South Bend, Ind. Kenitzer identified the plane's tail number as N873G, a CL-601 Challenger registered to Jet Alliance of Millville, N.J.

An operator at Jet Alliance said she had no information about the crash.

Investigators from the FAA and National Safety Transportation Board were en route to the airport, 300 kilometres southwest of Denver.

Ebersol became president of NBC Sports in 1989 and has turned it into the Olympic network, buying the U.S. broadcast rights for every Summer and Winter Games through 2012. Ebersol also worked as an NBC entertainment executive, and in the early 1980s was executive producer of Saturday Night Live.

The plane was on its way to South Bend, Ind. The plane's tail number was N873G, identifying it as a CL-601 Challenger registered to AirJet Alliance of Millville, N.J.

I just got a call from a friend of the FO and the reports of his death are incorrect. He just got out of surgery, but is in critical condition. I don't know him personally, but am told he went to Riddle DAB.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back