Civilian vs. Military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SeaSpray said:
Are you really a pilot? If you were you'd hear all the Reach, AerEvac, Pat and Sam callsigns flying Boeings, Douglas, Gulfstreams, Lears, Beechjets, and KingAirs in the same system you were. Even fighter guys fly under the FARs as written into military regulation when not in some Warning Area or MOA. Get a grip, dude.

My favorite is "OPEC", the callsign of the KC-10 tankers out of McGuire Air Force Base.

GV

~

Last edited:
GVFlyer,

Were you in the 89th? Great bunch of folks over there. We occasionally cross paths with them during some Boeing venues and they have been very helpful and willing to share some of their Boeing operational knowledge with us.

Everyone has an opinion

GVflyer you should continue to stand for the option you believe is correct, but only 5 of the 177 companies interviewing in the latest Air Inc hiring report make the BS/BA degree a show stopper. I am just standing for the little guy who would happy with a job at the other 172 companies.

Last edited:
Spooky 1 said:
GVFlyer,

Were you in the 89th? Great bunch of folks over there. We occasionally cross paths with them during some Boeing venues and they have been very helpful and willing to share some of their Boeing operational knowledge with us.

Yes, the 89th's a great organization. Lot of Boeing knowledge in the organizational culture - prior to exchanging the Boeing 707-320B's for B-757s, Maintenance was locally manufacturing non-available parts for the whole 707 line-up.

GV

pilotyip said:
GVflyer you should continue to stand for the option you believe is correct, but only 5 of the 177 companies interviewing in the latest Air Inc hiring report make the BS/BA degree a show stopper. I am just standing for the little guy who would happy with a job at the other 172 companies.

If Kit Darby said it, it can't be true... I think if you don't get a degree you're setting yourself up to fail.

NJA define failure?

Failure IMO is hiding in a corner because you got bitch slapped. Columbus didn't settle, our immigrants didn't settle, our armed forces do not settle, the "Lets Roll" team did not settle.

I haven't been around and even I know that you don't get squat playing it safe. Even with all the post 9-11 crap, 90% of NJ guys that were here in the 90's would still be better off if they would of bailed at their first opportunity (me included).

So failure in my opinion is closely tied to justification, and YIP pilot, it sure sounds like that is something you DO have plenty of.

If you are happy, I am happy for you...really...but taking any crapball that comes rolling down hill, and saying it is good enough is failure of human potential, and violates the core values that has made this country succeed.

If everyone in this country lived by your playbook we would look a lot like many of the 3rd world countries out there....happy to be alive and not being raped and tortured (for today anyway), because I saw my friend get raped and tortured.

If I had to do it all again when I was 18...

Work on your Bachelors degree...it's another checkbox that could mean they pick someone else in the future.

While you're working on your degree...work on as many civilian ratings as you can get. If you work hard you should be able to get your CFI by your junior year and start instructing and building time. Civilian ratings will help you stand above other military pilot candidates later to.

When you graduate college, get a job at a regional airline or fractional if they'll take you (not likely at this point). As soon as you get a job at a regional, shop for ANG pilot slots...that's right, it doesn't matter if you leave one day after regional airline ground school begins, your airline MUST give you time off to serve in the Guard even though you didn't have the position when you started the company. Go anywhere in the country, the first 2 years are the same no matter what and since you are a regional airline pilot you'll be able to jumpseat (fly for free) to wherever your guard assignment is when the time comes.

If it all works out, you will have a seniority number at a regional, and you will be off to 2 years of fligth training with the military.

At the conclusion of your active duty training you will return to your regional job as if you never left. In other words, if pilots that were hired with you are now (2 years later) eligible for captain...so will you. You will at least be making 3rd year FO pay which allows you to bypass the whole "first year pay sucks" problem

One weekend a month and two weeks a year you will now be able to go play F-16 pilot and supplement your RJ-FO pay.
When the industry tanks (like now) you can ask to be activated in your unit and the airline MUST let you go until your activation is complete; this allows you to sit out any displacements, furloughs, whatever unpleasant things may be happening at your airline. Again you can return later as though you never left.

The best part is you will belong to the only group in aviation that gets interviews at majors easier than miltary pilots...and that's military pilots with extensive civilian scheduled 121 experience.

Good luck, and I hope you'll be nice to me when you're my Captain at a major.

Later

Last edited:
Iggy,

That's about the most positive non-anti-military statement I've ever heard you make.

I was expecting something very much the opposite. ;)

Iggy has never been there, you will not maintain currency in any F-16, C-130, etc. on one weekend a month. There tons of extra drills you are expected to use, figure on a minimum of 4-5 days per month and 30 days avtive duty per year

Latest resources

Back