• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Civilian vs. Military

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Freakin' computer dumped my long post. Basically I was saying while a college degree is a no-brainer when it comes to wether we should get one or not(I'm currently working on mine), we are not guaranteed that "fall back on" job should we lose our medical or just quit flying.

Let's say you have a degree in microbiology. You got that degree 25 years ago. All of a sudden you lose your medical. Who the heck is going to hire someone in that field with that lack of recent experience?

Just a thought.

Seeing the world= Seeing some far off spec of land while your living on a ship.
Hmmm. Seeing as how I've been to almost every place on "Wild On" and spent 6 months touring Europe on the Govt's dime, I just wouldn't agree.
Go civilian. Unless your going to be a lifer at the military you'll be way behind the 8 ball by the time you get out.
Oh yeah I seem to remember my interviewer at FDX saying to me I was way behind the 8 ball, just before they hired me with <2000hrs total at 32. Incidently the civilian RJ guy with 5000+ (and an attitude) busted the interview, and didn't get called back.
Diesel you are a fool but everyone reading this has probably already come to that conclusion.

FDX is what about 80+ percent military? That must have been a tough one.

God now I know the kick J3 gets. :)

Let's discuss the merits of who's a better pilot. That should take the thread up a notch.

learflyer said:
Let's say you have a degree in microbiology. You got that degree 25 years ago. All of a sudden you lose your medical. Who the heck is going to hire someone in that field with that lack of recent experience?

Just a thought.

That is exactly the position I am in except the degree is Optics.

I kept all my notes and Textbooks... and I have estimated it will take me 18 months to review all of mathematics, physics, chemistry, and engineering on my 7 days off. 12 additional months for another BS degree in either physics or nuclear engineering.

If you did it once you can do it again. My aunt is an MD, stopped practicing Medicine for 20 years to raise her children. Studied and recertified in Radiology and Nuclear Medicine.

Last edited:
Be nice

Hoursguy, I see you are in the narrow-minded camp, if someone does not agree with you, immediately personally attack him or her. As posted many times before I have nothing against a college degree. I have a couple myself. But the narrow politically correct "college only" of this board needs a counter. This will allow those who do not see college as an immediate goal other options. I see too many pilots I consider successful without college degrees, it is a viable career option.

Last edited:
Let's discuss the merits of who's a better pilot. That should take the thread up a notch.

Only a fool would generalize all pilots of a various backgrounds into one skill level. If the shoe fits, open your trap. As far as hiring goes (at FDX or any other major), with the military guys, it's a safe investment for employers because they know exactly the type of training and flying each has recieved. I come from both backgrounds so I don't have a prejustice for either.
D-bag I am done responding to your ignorant statements because I don't believe in bullying on the 'challenged'.

Man 21 posts and you haven't figured out how this board works?

Military guys are a safe investment for employers because they know how much money it's going to take to train them to understand civilian flying. Of course the Civilian has allready been operating under the FAR's so long and worked with ATC that no more civilian training is required. Just send them off to aircraft training. No learning how to read a map or what airspace means.

does D-bag stand for dime bag?

pilotyip said:
Hoursguy, I see you are in the narrow-minded camp, if someone does not agree with you, immediately personally attack him or her. As posted many times before I have nothing against a college degree. I have a couple myself. But the narrow politically correct "college only" of this board needs a counter. This will allow those who do not see college as an immediate goal other options. I see too many pilots I consider successful without college degrees, it is a viable career option.

What you're saying may be true, but failing to attain a four-year degree closes many doors in aviation. I've never flown for an organization that didn't require a Baccalaureate.

GV

Diesel said:
Man 21 posts and you haven't figured out how this board works?

Military guys are a safe investment for employers because they know how much money it's going to take to train them to understand civilian flying. Of course the Civilian has allready been operating under the FAR's so long and worked with ATC that no more civilian training is required. Just send them off to aircraft training. No learning how to read a map or what airspace means.

Are you really a pilot? If you were you'd hear all the Reach, AerEvac, Pat and Sam callsigns flying Boeings, Douglas, Gulfstreams, Lears, Beechjets, and KingAirs in the same system you were. Even fighter guys fly under the FARs as written into military regulation when not in some Warning Area or MOA. Get a grip, dude.

learflyer said:
Freakin' computer dumped my long post. Basically I was saying while a college degree is a no-brainer when it comes to wether we should get one or not(I'm currently working on mine), we are not guaranteed that "fall back on" job should we lose our medical or just quit flying.

Just a thought.

Name something that is guaranteed. (Other than death and taxes). You'll notice the pilots I used as examples in my post have kept current in their fall-back jobs.

Latest resources

Back