• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Civilian perspective on USN carrier ops

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not trying to start a flame war. Just stating what I have heard. I have also heard the EA-6B is one of the hardest as well. I am sure nights suck.

They are both quite different though. I will say this. I initially CQ'd in the T-45A and that was definitely a challenge. Once I finished, I was feeling pretty dam good about myself... then I got to fly the COD... my confidence dwindled fast. I couldn't fly that bird worth cr@p. Many don't realize the huge amount of yaw instability due to the close proximity of the engines to the fuselage. Also throw in the pitchfeel system which causes the nose to be very pitch sensitive. To give you an example... everytime you add power(on the ball-in most cases), you must trim/push nose down to counter pitchfeel to keep onspeed AND add just enough right rudder to counter the tendancy of nose to yaw to the left. Its the equivalent of driving a big dump truck.

QOL is great. Can't complain. The only real downfall is the lack of opportunity for progression above making command. For example... a COD guy has never made CAG, Admiral, etc.

COD bubbas are rock stars. 100 dollar a day per diem and swanky hotels in Bahrain hanging with the Gulf Air and Looftansy flight attendants -- what was I thinking back then?

COD bubbas are rock stars. 100 dollar a day per diem and swanky hotels in Bahrain hanging with the Gulf Air and Looftansy flight attendants -- what was I thinking back then?

The COD guys are great. They are always happy to rig for jumpers and always know the best bars on liberty.

Prowler didn't seem that bad. Back side of the power curve actually made it easier to fly the ball then the Goshawk, in my opinion.

Prowler didn't seem that bad. Back side of the power curve actually made it easier to fly the ball then the Goshawk, in my opinion.

I think that's just because on-speed on the chickenhawk is so far forward on the power curve, probably one of the few jets where back stick on-speed gives you more lift.

No Maam we're COD Pilots

-RAWHIDE CHARLIE

-RAWHIDE!
Internal cockpit conversation ("ya know a cut pass is a small price for a $hithot break at the bow")

-RAWHIDE CALL THE BALL

-RAWHIDE CLARA!

-UR high keep it comin!

Charter member AANA

(Ass of AVG Naval Aviators), The Duck Inn, NGU 1990

-RAWHIDE CHARLIE

-RAWHIDE!
Internal cockpit conversation ("ya know a cut pass is a small price for a $hithot break at the bow")

-RAWHIDE CALL THE BALL

-RAWHIDE CLARA!

-UR high keep it comin!

Charter member AANA

(Ass of AVG Naval Aviators), The Duck Inn, NGU 1990

I don't know that Paddles even bothered to stop by the Rawhides ready room. The only guys that seemed to care less than them, were the Marines.

Chef, found this and thought of you.

http://www.treasurer.state.ne.us/

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back