• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CitationShares laying off another 40 pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So it's cool for an "older guy" to lose his house? Class warfare is bad enough. This age warfare is getting really old fast. I've been furloughed along with tens of thousands of our collegues. I have never wished that upon even the more senior folks, much less the bottom feeders. I don't get this new age crap I guess.

You're putting words in his mouth. He's not wishing anybody lose thier house. What he's saying is that there are more than a few guys who own multiple houses, get retirment income and/or have wives making 6 figures--with no kids at home, and they could afford to take 6-12 mo's off. I fly with guys like this regularly. I'm not saying it's anybody's job to take care of the low man on the totem pole, but again--you're putting word's in his mouth.

You're putting words in his mouth. He's not wishing anybody lose thier house. What he's saying is that there are more than a few guys who own multiple houses, get retirment income and/or have wives making 6 figures--with no kids at home, and they could afford to take 6-12 mo's off. I fly with guys like this regularly. I'm not saying it's anybody's job to take care of the low man on the totem pole, but again--you're putting word's in his mouth.

That's where you're wrong. Look around. How many threads here and on the regional and major's board bitch about the age deal? When I was at indoc at my current employer, I was in class with a 30 year Delta guy, retired with a multi million dollar pension. Guess what happened to that when the judge allowed the company to wack the pensions in bankrupcy court? Then they were further penalized when the PPGC said they retired too early at 60.

The majority of us older guys don't have multiple houses, boats, bikes, wives, etc. Most of us have been screwed many more times than any younger pilot, with little time left to earn that retirement dream. Heck, if RTS himself retired now, how many jobs would that save? Or if he simply took $1.00/year salary until the economy improves. How many jobs would that save?

Never look at another to make your life better. It's up to you. If the situation makes life untennable, change the situation. Most of us have had to do just that over the years, before many today were a gleam in their daddy's eye. No one wants to see anyone take the hits we see today, and I wish we'll come through with our dignity and jobs, but don't tell anyone they've had enough and should let others have a bigger share of the pie.

Last edited:
The point he was trying to make is, most 'older guys' don't have house payments, or have other income, so they would not lose their house if they stop working like a younger person would. I realize ALL older guys are not in this situation, but most are. I'm not saying they are responsible for someone else job, but I do understand his point. They bascially are working because they want to , not becasue they have to.

I do not wish to see one more pilot senior or junior furloughed in this industry. I have a more personal stake in the CS furloughs since I worked there at one time and many of those pilots are my friends. I want to see EVERYONE working (including myself). I dont blame any of the "old guys' for taking my job. Each person these days has to do what they can to survive. Many have seen their livelyhood and their retirements decimated by this economy. Its all about survival now....

That said enough with all the griping. One thing the old guys taught me is that pilots take care of their own. Perhaps things might be better if we starting REALLY supporting each other rather than complaining or stabbing each other in the back. You would be suprised what you can learn from these old guys I was :)

Seniority rules. Sometimes it sucks, sometimes it rocks.

Why not keep the discussion limited to the facts. If anyone hears anything today, post it here first...

That's where you're wrong. Look around. How many threads here and on the regional and major's board bitch about the age deal? When I was at indoc at my current employer, I was in class with a 30 year Delta guy, retired with a multi million dollar pension. Guess what happened to that when the judge allowed the company to wack the pensions in bankrupcy court? Then they were further penalized when the PPGC said they retired too early at 60.

The majority of us older guys don't have multiple houses, boats, bikes, wives, etc. Most of us have been screwed many more times than any younger pilot, with little time left to earn that retirement dream. Heck, if RTS himself retired now, how many jobs would that save? Or if he simply took $1.00/year salary until the economy improves. How many jobs would that save?

Never look at another to make your life better. It's up to you. If the situation makes life untennable, change the situation. Most of us have had to do just that over the years, before many today were a gleam in their daddy's eye. No one wants to see anyone take the hits we see today, and I wish we'll come through with our dignity and jobs, but don't tell anyone they've had enough and should let others have a bigger share of the pie.

Thanks for the insight pervis. Us young guys stand to benefit the most from having the "experienced" guys around during these dificult times.

Latest resources

Back