• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CitationAir

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That's awesome, I didn't even have to go find your post! Thanks for helping me prove my point, B. :)

The only thing that you proved was that you don't understand your responsibilities as a pilot.

Go ahead, write an airplane up on something... anything... you don't go anyplace until it's signed off by a mechanic.

They have the power to detirmine if it's broken, you only have the power to guess whether or not it's working the way you think it's supposed to. :smash:

The only thing that you proved was that you don't understand your responsibilities as a pilot.

Go ahead, write an airplane up on something... anything... you don't go anyplace until it's signed off by a mechanic.

That's kind of my point, wasn't it? Pilots get to determine when the plane is broken. Keep the comedy rolling while I thank God that I don't work for someone as deranged as you are.

But you still haven’t answered the original question. How would you quantify a pilot’s value and what criterion would you use to identify their merit?

Pilot x reportedly makes good landings so we keep him? How is this quantifiable since there are only two grades recorded on the 8710 “S” or “U”.

Oh, but pilot x called in sick three times last year so he’s out?

Pilot y will do anything to get the job done so we keep him? Is that what you’re advocating? Sounds like a recipe for smoking holes.

Pilot merit is impossible to quantify and this is why even non-union companies ultimately end up with a seniority based system. We don’t make the schedule and we are required to ground airplanes when they are broken and call in sick when ill, so at the end of the day that leaves only subjective criteria, like who kisses the most a$$. I’ve noticed over the years that the “A-Teamers” often end up getting fired by guys like you because they take it a little too far.

Hey BTW, you do have a seniority list at Avantair right?

Read my other post too... it is absolutely quantifiable on what seperates good pilots from bad. It has nothing to do with stick and rudder, it's all about character and intergrity and doing the job right. I can list of dozens of things that separate good pilots from bad..

To add to the previous post... being ready for training, keeping your manuals updated, getting proper rest, wearing clean uniforms, abiding by the dress code, keeping a neat haircut, not acting like an idiot in a hotel on a layover, getting their medical on time, treating passengers with respect, being careful about talking about company business in front of customers.. etc. etc. etc.

All of which I've seen over the years.

I can go on and on about what separates a good pilot from bad, and it has nothing to do with stick and rudder, a seniority list or if a pilot is willing to do something that is illegal or not. It has nothing to do with a legit grounding of an airplane or a legit write-up.

Seniority lists protect those pilots that are substandard in every way possible except for their ability to fly the airplane. In case you aren't aware, being a pilot encompasses a lot more than just flying an airplane.

When any company hires you, regardless of pay, no matter if you are flipping burgers or flying airplanes, you need to do the job right.

That's kind of my point, wasn't it? Pilots get to determine when the plane is broken. Keep the comedy rolling while I thank God that I don't work for someone as deranged as you are.

No, they don't. Pilots only get to detirmine if there is something that they THINK may be not work as advertised.

When you see that little "could not duplicate" written and signed off by the mechanic in the logbook?

That means the pilot was wrong, the airplane wasn't broken, and he just wasted a whole lot of time.

Wow. I'm speechless after that underlined statement. I guess initial type ratings and recurrent are pointless. Apparently nothing will qualify us as pilots to troubleshoot when things don't work.

When you see that little "could not duplicate" written and signed off by the mechanic in the logbook?

That means the pilot was wrong, the airplane wasn't broken, and he just wasted a whole lot of time.

Or it could just mean that the issue really didn't duplicate.

So do you reprimand your pilots that write up something and maintenance comes back with "could not duplicate"?

That is NOT what "could not duplicate" means. To say otherwise is irresponsible. I truly hope that you do not think that way as a manager.

There have been numerous times when I have picked up and airplane that was just signed off in that manner. It either is written up again, or at the first destination because the plane did EXACTLY what the previous pilot said it did. The mechanic simply was not able to duplicate it.

Pilots are NOT qualifed to detirmine if an airplane is broken or not.

If a pilot writes up an item and the mechanic signs it off as airworthy, it's not broken no matter how much the pilot wants to slow the operation down.

Pilots are also not qualified to diagnose the problem or fix the problem.

My GAWD, you are being offensive! :puke: Who pissed in your Cheerios today!?! Do you SERIOUSLY have such a low opinion of pilots? How do you ever get off the ground?

Sooo, if the engine doesn't light off because of bad ignitors, am I not qualified to determine that the engine isn't running? If I go outside and don't hear the ignitors firing, should I not put that in the write up to help the company diagnose what is wrong? What if that helps the mechanic who is driving several hours to get to the plane bring the correct equipment to get the plane airborne faster?

Or should I just write it up as "The left engine doesn't work" since I am "NOT qualified" to determine that the airplane is broken? :angryfire

Use the spell check. It will help your credibility.

Latest resources

Back