• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cincinnati area

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for the informative post, Guppy. I can understand that and take it into account.

I grew up on a farm in the rural midwest in an area that would be considered "closed minded" by some. Personally, I consider it an area of refreshingly traditional values. A handshake still means something type of mentality.

There is a distinction between this kind of "closed mindedness" and legitimate closed mindedness (the ugly kind).....which is something for us to avoid.

Apparently it does exist in the CVG area, because enough people talk about it.

We will be aware.

Thanks again.

Also consider how your wife will feel. Mine hated it. The people there are very closed. Many established their social groups in HS and don't accept outsiders easily or willingly.

Heyas,

Wow, that sounds JUST like MSP.

The town itself is not bad, but the people will drive you out. They think that the world revolves around MSP, and the first thing they ask you is "were'd ya go to high school?"

The best thing you could do is to hook up with some other non-natives, and have a weekly bitchfest.

Nu

Good luck if you decide to go to CVG. I was born and raised there for 20 yrs. Luckily I traveled alot growing up and saw lots of other places. I hated growing up in Cinti. (and I grew up in one of the best parts of the city). So, I left. 10 years later I was hired with Comair and returned. Soon after I returned I remembered all the reasons I left the first time. So, I left again.

As a Cinti native I can attest that many of the reasons people stated on are are dead on. The racial tension and the close mindedness of the people who live there is unbelievable.

Some people on this forum tend to be very passionate about expressing their opinions but don't be too quick to dismiss what they are trying to tell you.

CVG isn't the worst place in the country, far from it. I would rather live there than DTW or PHL or ERW just to name a few. But there are serious issues to be dealt with in that city (on both sides of the river). Also consider how your wife will feel. Mine hated it. The people there are very closed. Many established their social groups in HS and don't accept outsiders easily or willingly.

Again, good luck if you choose to go there. There is alot to be said for not commuting. Then again, there is alot to be said for liking where you live and having friends and family nearby.

Good luck to us all.

Excellent post! I apologize if some people think I'm just trying to slam CVG for kicks as I'm really not. Living there truly was the worst two years of our lives. I hated it, my wife hated it, and every other transplant I met hated it. And as Guppy said, this thread does evoke some emotion. I just want to make sure people know the reality before they move. Good luck to you in your decision.

I hated it for 4 years if your a Single Guy in your late 20's the locals look at you like there's something wrong with you? They all have kids or want kids by the time there 25 and not just one I'm talking they should be on # 3 by age 25.

I did laugh about the Eastside Westside rival that and how everyone went to Ohio State was extremely Opinionated but had NEVER LEFT THE STATE OF OHIO!!!!

Liked the Brown River Comment too! I use to call it the Willy Wonka Chocolate River! Don't Forget that for some reason you'll always see some guys wearing a Stupid Bengals jersey to the the bars the mall etc year round. It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen. I'd recommend staying away from sports bars during football season don't know how many Ohio beer drinking rednecks I had to listen to screaming Go Bengals!!! Yeah !!!

I lived in Florence KY and liked it. If you are looking to rent, Florence, Burlington, Hebron, etc. are nice and close to the airport. I could be from my apartment to the crew room in 30 minutes.

If you are looking to buy, I'd go south toward Lexington or Louisville.

CVG is what it is: a conservative, semi-closed minded, Bengals loving, Skyline obsessing, Frisch's munching, Graeter's eating, Kroger shopping folks.

If you move to one of the older neighborhoods like Hyde Park, Mt. Lookout, Pleasant Ridge, Oakley, Kenwood, Indian Hill (I am an eastsider... I cannot even name a neighborhood on the West Side or in Kentucky) you are going to run into a lot of the "where did you go to high school - I've lived here all my life - what family are you from" mentality.

If you move to the newer neighborhoods, like West Chester or Lakota (even some of the places in Kentucky that are newer), you will meet more people who have transplanted into the community.

Any place you move is pretty much what you make of it. If you get out, join a group, join a church, get involved in something you will meet more people. If you sit around in your apartment/house and wait for the locals to come to you, well, you will get nothing. This is especially true if you are single.

It's hard for all of us in aviation to meet anybody given the weird hours we keep. Most professionals are not off on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday! As such, we tend to only meet folks from work and that becomes our social life. I have had people in CVG tell me that Comair/Delta people are snobs. They don't come to block parties, they never invite us over, blah, blah, blah. This was before I worked in the industry. After seven years of being in the business... I see why. We are not snobs, we are just busy and work weird hours and are not around when everybody else is.

Give CVG a chance. Call the Chamber of Commerce and get their movers guide. It will help you find where you want to go.

If I can add my 2 cents, I worked for Comair from '85 to '88 and lived in Erlanger, KY. I thought it was a fine place to live. First of all (as a long time TWA/AA commuter) being able to drive to work in 10 minutes is great.

Some of us were into cycling. In fact the Metroliner CP at the time was into bicycling and a bunch of us would meet north of the airport on the Ohio river. Ride to the west along the river; it was beautiful and nice country ride.

The fact is, if you're domiciled at CVG you can find good places to live in N. Kentucky. I don't see any reason to look north of the river; it would just add to your driving time.

Do you guys have kids? That makes a difference on where to move. I am amazed on how bitter people are. A city will be as good as you make it to be. I have lived in cincy for 9 years now, and sure I can come up with a lot of negative things, but I can also come up with tons of good things.

People do talk about "where did you go to high school" but so what. I have met so many friends here, it depends on what you like to do socially.

I live in Hyde Park/Oakley area and love it here. But I am single with no kids.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back