• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cigar Smokers...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe I need to make sure I peel the label off my beer before I drink it. I'm off to the closet to make sure my little Levi's labels aren't on the back of my jeans. The grinder might take care of the raised "goodyear" on my tires. And that hood ornament.... $hit, I'm going to be a busy guy trying to make sure I'm a generic consumer. I keep forgetting I'm not supposed to tell chicks (or anyone else for that matter) what I do for a living. Can't wear my uniform into the supermarket on my way home without being labeled a dork. Hmmm... Who gives a hoot what anyone thinks about whether there's a label on my cigar, my beer, my pants, or whatever? If you leave it on, fine, if it embarrasses you, then take the thing off. But for chrissakes, make sure you enjoy the smoke. I think that's the important part.

Is it Hugh's turn to be a little testy?

C'mon man. There are easy things to do (remove bands) and difficult things to do (grind off Goodyear).

Of course it's important what people think.

Why did you choose your avatar? You wanted to project a certain image.

Mine says: Old, greasy, loud and unreliable.

What are you trying to say?

I didn't mean to convey testyness (sp?). A bit of sarcasm maybe, and sure, some absurdity. (We do lose a lot in the medium here). Sure we care about appearances, but I think sometimes people take it a little far. Sometimes I forget to get all the labels off my cheapo clothes. Good thing I don't sweat it. I dig Mar's avatar. Mine's a sign of respect to a man who earned many lifetime's worth. Main thing: Enjoy the stogie however you see fit.

How about this for an analogy to the cigar band…..on or off.

In the game of golf, let’s say you hit one into the rough and are having a little difficulty locating it. One of your buddies finds it and hollers over to you, “I found it”. You reply back, “is it‘Wilson’ #3”? Your buddy replies, “Nope, it’s a Titleist #4” You now have not swiped somebody else’s ball. That’s one reason numbers are embossed into the skin of the golf ball by every maker of them.

Same for a cigar. If there are a group of stogie smoker’s and a few common ashtrays laying about, It would be easy for someone to pick up your $5.00 or $10.00 smoke and get away with it, while you’re left with his 60 cent Wm Penn Perfecto. But, leave the band on, and the chances of stogie pilfering are reduced quite a bit.

Latest resources

Back