• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CHQ to operate CRJ-200 confirmed..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do AWAC guys care if we fly CRJs for CAL? You guys were a kick-ass company for years, had hard times and have moved on. We've sucked for like 25 years, and have done well in the last 6. Our contract can't move as fast as our mgt. Wait till this contract gets amended. We signed it with 500 pilots and 50 jets. It was a HUGE improvement over the prop contract. Hopefully, with what will be about 2000 pilots by July, we'll be able to attain an industry leading contract.

Sorry you all had to move to the east coast.....

BlueCanoe said:
Why do AWAC guys care if we fly CRJs for CAL? You guys were a kick-ass company for years, had hard times and have moved on. We've sucked for like 25 years, and have done well in the last 6. Our contract can't move as fast as our mgt. Wait till this contract gets amended. We signed it with 500 pilots and 50 jets. It was a HUGE improvement over the prop contract. Hopefully, with what will be about 2000 pilots by July, we'll be able to attain an industry leading contract.

Sorry you all had to move to the east coast.....

Because their MEC and their pilot group have allot of class. We hold them in high regard...they are thoroughbred professionals who do not delight in harming others.

imacdog said:
Bad answer, Sizzle. You are taking a chance by going to work for a company and they should be taking a chance by hiring you. A good company does not need to require its employees to stay for any length of time in exchange for the costs it puts into training them. CHQ employees may not feel a need to leave in less than two years right now, but there's always a chance that something might happen in the future. Look what happened to some of the Mesaba guys who were still under contract when the furlough notices came out. It's not a situation that aviation professionals need to be in.

As far as your statement about nowhere else to go, I'm not following you there. Many of my coworkers left for better opportunities well before having even a year with my current company. They didn't have to pay Comair for exercising their right to leave.

You can't say a "good company" since MANY companies don't spend much on you when you walk in qualified like a lawyer or something. At an airline you are FAA required to go to pricey training. It would only seem natural to protect your investment. Your mortgage company protects its investment by requiring insurance..... or the lienholder on your car. CHQ protects for the future with a 2 year duration. If you are furloughed you should be released, no problem. Nobody "needs" top be in a situation. You know there is a contract when you sign up to interview and you accept the position.... don't talk smack when nobody held a gun to your head. Don't come here and fly a CRJ, hold out for some "other" regional without a contract and you will have no problem..... except that the problem is there is not so much to choose from. As far as your friends, what other AIRLINES did your buddies go to? If you got a cool corporate gig than you were lucky but otherwise you need PIC time to go to other airlines without moving laterally. What it boild down to is that if you don't like it then don't do it. It is not so far out of line to require a contract. :)

Gofish said:
...they are thoroughbred professionals who do not delight in harming others.
Are you saying ours do? We improve our house as best we can. Trust me...so some searching and learn how many concessions we've taken in any contract. I'll even help. NONE

(note to regular readers: I know it's all circular logic and I've done all this before, but I'm tired of our company being smeared.)

ASH said:
Sorry bro, you got the wrong guy, I never paid TAB Express a dime to fly a 1900. Although I do know they had a program in place that did this, I unfortunately was not party to it.

You missed out on a golden oppurtunity to gain twin turbine command experience.

SizzleChest said:
You can't say a "good company" since MANY companies don't spend much on you when you walk in qualified like a lawyer or something. At an airline you are FAA required to go to pricey training. It would only seem natural to protect your investment. Your mortgage company protects its investment by requiring insurance..... or the lienholder on your car. CHQ protects for the future with a 2 year duration. If you are furloughed you should be released, no problem. Nobody "needs" top be in a situation. You know there is a contract when you sign up to interview and you accept the position.... don't talk smack when nobody held a gun to your head. Don't come here and fly a CRJ, hold out for some "other" regional without a contract and you will have no problem..... except that the problem is there is not so much to choose from. As far as your friends, what other AIRLINES did your buddies go to? If you got a cool corporate gig than you were lucky but otherwise you need PIC time to go to other airlines without moving laterally. What it boild down to is that if you don't like it then don't do it. It is not so far out of line to require a contract. :)

That still is really no justification for having to sign an agreement as part of an employment offer. Training in specific equipment may be required, and expensive, but people need to realize that it's a cost of doing business that should be placed squarely on the employer, not the employee. We as employees have paid enough to become qualified as commercial pilots. Specific training is something the employer can pick up. To me it's just saddening that pilots are so willing to accept stuff like this when signing up to work for a large, multi-million dollar company that can afford to lose a pilot or two before getting several years out of them.

As far as my friends, where they went does not matter as much as the fact that they had the option to pursue other opportunities without owing their current employer a large sum of money. Off the top of my head though, my friends went to other regionals, cargo companies, charter operators, and fractional outfits. Their reasons for doing so are their own, but they decided they would be better off somewhere else.

Have another look at the Mesaba case. Pilots were given furlough notices, found other work, and left before their furloughs started. The company came after them for their training contract. Fortunately their union stepped up for them but it was still an ugly time for people who were just trying to keep a steady income. Personally, I'm done with any idea of signing some insurance policy for my employer. If the company is decent they will have no reason to ask me to sign any agreement to stay or pay.

79%N1 said:
How long until RAH/CHQ/REP/SA has taken over everyones flying?? Soon enough, they will be the only regional carrier there is.

Last edited:
ballsdeep123 said:
Crappy contract? Show me the difference between CHQ and AirWhisky, and dont quote me your Bae 146 pay rate. At least we didn't BUY our flying.

didn't you guys take jobs and buy mid alantic?[/quote]

Re-read my previous post

Are people motivated or threatened by CHQ/Republic

Are other pilot groups generally threatened, motivated to compete, or unimpressed by the morale, team unity, and attitude of the Republic Trio?

Being part of CHQ I think that adding CRJs weakens our simplicity and morale. I believe that enough of our pilot group doubts the decision to add CRJs that it weakens our confidence. Time will tell how the performance of our new hires and new captains on this side of the company will perform.

In my small amount of experience I would say that this statement is truth...You get what you pay for....we'll see what Continental gets for their money.

If our management wants better performance then they should give us better reward...it would be illogical not too. However it would also be illogical action by the pilot group not to try harder to attain better reward (how each individual pilot group goes about that in our industry determines the health of the company).

We are all teams competing and it certainly helps to understand what set of rules your CEO will follow. I feel as if I know what set of rules Bryan Bedford follows (as for others below him...I'm not so sure).

Your CR2 fleet will be flying the CO flying you just won. The contract only runs for 2 years so don't bid it unless you understand what may happen in 2 years.

The 2 year deal is why Skywest backed out at the last minute.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back