• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chicago Tribune article on Age 60...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I disagree with Englehardts position on age 60, but I'm not about to start bashing him and his son about the Pitts. Both of them should be proud, there is nothing wrong with that.

It’s kind of hard to have sympathy for the guy when he is living up in the high rent district of Lake Bluff and tooling around in his Pitts. His claim about not having enough carries very little weight.

AA767AV8TOR

Lake Bluff, IL = Average income is $145,000. Average house price $450,000.

I think Capt/Col. Englehardt should go up to the local diner in Lake Bluff and order some french cries and a whaaaaaaaaamburger!!! And a Whine-akin to wash it down with!!!

Is Al Englehardt the same UAL Captain that narrates the Chicago Air and Water show for ABC 7 here in Chicago?

BVT94 said:
Is Al Englehardt the same UAL Captain that narrates the Chicago Air and Water show for ABC 7 here in Chicago?

No,

That is Capt. Herb Hunter a REAL class act.

As far as Englehardt and his Pitts, its great his son flies one, that is not the issue.....The point is he is crying poor mouth, I had to sell my EXTRA 300S and quit Aerobatic Competition when the paycuts hit, someday maybe I can return but I am not going to cry about it or try to self promote myself, or DEMAND that I stay at the top of the list past age 60, when I was hired at UAL it was pretty clear that I would be out the door at age 60.

Nothing wrong with a young guy flying a Pitts, I did the same thing and enjoyed every minute of it. Of course my Pitts at the time was a homebuilt model S-1S and I could barely afford the insurance on my commuter pilot pay.

POINT IS--Englehardt is all about HIMSELF.

AA767AV8TOR said:
It’s kind of hard to have sympathy for the guy when he is living up in the high rent district of Lake Bluff and tooling around in his Pitts. His claim about not having enough carries very little weight.

AA767AV8TOR

Unless he's your dad. Then you support his plight. Funny how a thing called perception works? If you were him, you would be doing the same sh1t.

Look guys...I don't care if Al has a Pitts, is on his 2nd or third marriage, if he narrates, or has 15 million dollars. Three sentences on this guy in the article and you're all over him. Sounds like a lot of class envy out there.
Question is...is age 60 retirement an appropriate age for forced retirement or not?
Seems that mostly those below their mid-forties are against raising the age, and those mid to late forties and above are for change.
As you age past your mid-forties, Alzheimer's sets in and you gradually come on over to Age 65 (while memories of previous positions tend to fade). Simple as that! It's time you younger guys realized your destiny....

Last edited:
Flybynite said:
Ok, then stop using that crap line "they knew the rules when they hired on". Things change in every aspect of life. You sound like a bitter member of the entitlement generation.

Really? It sounds to me like a gen Xer. The "entitlement generation' was born in the 50's.

Latest resources

Back