• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chicago Tribune article on Age 60...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's pretty simple really. You make the decision that's right for you. If you want to fly past 60, and can pass the medical, go for it. If you don't think it's right don't. That simple. Try not to impose your own personal views on others.

Simply whining about money doesn't bother me to much, I just take that as an opinion, just like I have my opinions. Its only when these guys like Captain pompous, I mean Hinnenkamp, try to suggest they are irreplacable due to the inexperience of the "kids" below them that its time to raise the bs flag, in my opinion.

Take Andy for instance, waiting to be recalled to the bottom of the list, look at his profile, can anyone call him a "kid" and keep a straight face? Well thats what Captain Pompous did, and its bs.

Why wasn't Englehardt in the newspapers 20 years ago moaning about the age 60 rule??? Oh yeah that's right it wouldn't have been for his benefit back then. Now that he's in a position where a change to the rule will result in a financial windfall for him (and a devastating blow to others including the hundreds of furloughed), he (and others) are spouting off about how experienced he is and the replacements are basically unsafe. Nice...

He was hired by UAL at age 22. I hope that they recall me for a class start date on his 60th birthday said:
How do you fly Navy (combat) and get hired by UAL all before your 23rd B'day? Doesn't pass the smell test to me.:confused:

fr8doggie said:
How do you fly Navy (combat) and get hired by UAL all before your 23rd B'day? Doesn't pass the smell test to me.:confused:

The article's a little dorked; they merged two different pilots' stories together. (I missed that until I reread it late last nite while sending an e-mail to the authors) It was Richard Hinnenkamp who made the Vietnam statement. They incorrectly list Hinnenkamp as a 37 yr United pilot; it should say 27 years. He was hired 1/29/79; #353 on the latest seniority list. captain Hinnenkamp will have his birthday this Friday, the 25th.
Englehardt was hired 5/15/69.

Andy said:
So, what age should it change to? 65? What is the safety impact of that age change?

Well...what was the safety impact of making the mandatory age 60? Age 60 wasn't determined by using any medical data.

Bottom line....people are living healthier and longer lives than they did in the 60's and 70's.

When you write your congressman, don't use any health examples, because there is not any health data available from the FAA to back it up. Tell him it will hurt your upgrade/return from furlough...and doggone it, you deserve to be in the left seat as soon as possible !!!

Tejas

freeflyer14 said:
Why wasn't Englehardt in the newspapers 20 years ago moaning about the age 60 rule???

Probably out flying a trip. Oh yeah, and 20 years ago, I'll bet there wasn't a cub reporter knocking on his door...not to mention, this wasn't even a debate 20 years ago, with a bill in each of the respective houses of congress.

Tejas

Guys..

Eanglehardt is on this board! Go check out the thread titled "My 18 year old student flying a Pitts"

You see that is his KID fliyng the Pitts S-2C. I think Englehard-headed avatar has the spac shuttle on it.

Sell the pitts ENGLEHARD-headed and get off the list and out of my seat. Maybe your SON can find employment when you RETIRE!

Last edited:
What a bunch of bs that's in that article. The same argument applies that when these guys were hired years ago, they were in diapers when the senior dudes at their company were dropping bombs in WW2, flying the hump, flying the mail, etc, etc. No one is irreplacable. GMAB.:puke:

I'm glad I don't have a subscription to the Trib, 'cuz I just would have had to cancel it today.

Latest resources

Back