Chicago Tribune article on Age 60...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
glasspilot1 said:
My view is with thousands of pilots on furlough (over 2500 at AA alone) now is not the time to be upping the retirement age. If it has to happen, do it when the industry is in a hiring mode. It would be less painfull then.

So if no one was on furlough it would be ok to raise the age? Its an outdated age that will change, maybe if you whine louder and more often on these message boards someone will feel sorry for you.

If you are in your thirty's look at this as a blessing. This job keeps deteriorating every year so what will it be in 20 - 25 years. Consider the changing of the age rule a good motivator to get the hell out and find a real job.

Flybynite said:
Its an outdated age that will change,

So, what age should it change to? 65? What is the safety impact of that age change? Why not make it 105? That's still discriminatory. Let's just repeal it altogether. [sarcasm on]With our highly ethical AMEs out there, I'm sure that all of the problem cases wouldn't get a new medical.[sarcasm off]

My final question: if this is such a horrible job that no one wants to work past 50 let alone 60, why are people lined up thousands deep just hoping to get an interview. Why would people who hate it that much even get in the industry or for that matter stay?

The guy is full of shiat. All he has to do is go corporate and he can fly around all day in the United States.

Yeah, I'm going to go cry to a newspaper reporter when I have to retire after 37 years when there are thousands on furlough. Selfish prick.

FJ

Increasing the age to 65 is nothing but a scam for the guys sitting wide body left seat. It is a complete and utter windfall for them. Depending on the airline, it may mean a windfall anywhere from $800,000 - $1,000,000 plus. Guess where this money is coming from?? You guessed it, from the pockets of all those junior.

The junior pilots at the slow growth (or negative growth like AA) legacies will be especially hard hit.

If you don’t like the rule – LET YOUR CONRGRESSMAN KNOW!!!!! You can bet all these old farts are running to Capital Hill to change it in their favor. This is nothing less than abrogation of seniority. There is also another wrinkle in the bill. As Senate bill S. 65 is currently written, it will not let two pilots over the age of 60 into the same cockpit. Even Congress agrees that it is not in the best interest of safely to allow two pilots over age 60 to work the same flight. Image how that will impact operations.

AA767AV8TOR

These days there is no medical reason why the retirement age cannot be raised, it is pure industry politicking at play why it still stands at 60.

Perhaps the retirement age should be set so at least you can pull in full social security benefits as soon as you leave.

Marion Blakey, administrator or the Federal Aviation Administration, maintains the available safety data and latest medical research are insufficient for the agency to begin the steps necessary to change the age 60 rule. But Blakey said the FAA position on the issue has changed to "neutral."

So even if congress votes to change I'd suspect we're still a couple YEARS away from anything. BTW....... the congressional clock is ticking and there's only a month left.

Gup

Not raising the age is so idiotic I can't even believe people are serious about the current regulations. Other jobs far more difficult can work indefinitely.
Do you want a 39 year old brain surgeon with 44 operations or a 64 year old with 4400 operations??????????? This analogy works for almost any career.

The line about the kid replacing him on the list not even being born when he dropped bombs on Vietnam is disingenuous at best, for it implies that a newhire steps into his widebody captain seat, which as we all know is not how it works. But what the hey, if you can throw a little bs in there to pander to the unwashed masses, why not.

If he wants to change the rule thats one thing, but he should keep the pandering bs out of it.

Actually, the guy who steps into the widebody seat he vacates will be a veteran with plenty of experience. Captain Pompous thinks he's irreplacable, what a r cranium.

Since 1959, there has always been adequate experience in the cockpits of commercial airliners with the age 60 rule in place. It is the height of pomposoty for these clowns to insinuate that their experience is so direly needed now. Are those that retired before them replacable and now they are all the sudden irreplacable? You need mud boots to wade through the pomposoty of these cry babies.

Quick, someone call John Stossel, there is a crisis in the airline industry, planes are gonna fall outa the sky because captain pompous is retiring and no one of adequate experience to replace him is anywhere to be found. This is a crisis, the FAA needs to act now!

Last edited:
One other note... captain englehardt is currently #9 on the UAL seniority list, with one of the eight above him on long term LOA due to illness. captain englehardt will end up retiring #7 on the seniority list.
He was hired by UAL at age 22. I hope that they recall me for a class start date on his 60th birthday, 29 Jan 07.

Latest resources

Back