Chicago Tribune article on Age 60...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
freeflyer14 said:
I am very curious to know the argument to this statement by those who would have the age 60 rule changed.

At what age is it ok? Even if the rule is set at 82 years of age, some 81 year old will have a case saying that he is being disciminated against by being forced to retire. So then what to do?

Keep going. With that logic, you can make the same argument. If it's arbitrarily set at 60, why not move it to 65? It will change, sooner or later. I am not in favor, but I am planning on it changing.

that is exactly what I was thinking! Alimony is expensive that is why we need to change the 60 age rule. Nice.

"The kid who replaces me on the seniority list at United will not have been born when I dropped bombs on Vietnam," the U.S. Navy veteran said.

Kid? Whats the upgrade time there?

By the time I upgrade at SWA... I will have been flying for 18 years, have over 10000 hours and be 36/37 years old. Am I the "kid" he is talking about?

10,000 hours! WTF are you guys at SWA doing!! I plan to retire with less than 10,000 hours - and I'm only 38.

You guys work waaaay too hard.

"The kid who replaces me on the seniority list at United will not have been born when I dropped bombs on Vietnam," the U.S. Navy veteran said.

That kid is going to be a required babysitter for this old dick. He better hope that the "kid" is willing to babysit him. He really is pretty full of himself. I'm sure he is the "best" and most "experienced out there". Ya right. This guy is an old, arrogant, ignorant sailor. He needs to retire.

If he can't afford to send his kid to school then he can do like the rest of us. Get student loans and the kid can pay them back after he gets a job.

Last edited:
I always ask these guys, "Didn't you know that age 60 was the cutoff when you accepted the position?" That gets 'em going. You knew the rules going in... okay, let me get this right, we start the game and it lasts for nine innings. Yet at the top of the ninth, your team is short of runs, so you ask the umpire to make a 10 or 11 inning game... oh, nevermind! Now you are 59 years old and you piss and moan about how wrong it is. If age 60 was a problem for you, then you should have flown corporate.

It's like working weekends and holidays in this business. (Seems every holiday season we get a bunch of FAs at SWA who get "sick" right around December 24th.) You know the rules going into the job.

I also love how the media plays into this whole "most experienced" pilot at the controls horse sh*t. Well, guess what? They guy replacing the retiree didn't just walk up to the ticket counter last week and say, "Hey, gimme one of them there pilot applications. I think I'll give that a try." There are plenty of well experienced younger captains who are perfectly capable of taking the retiree's place on the seniority list. Also, I know at SWA FOs now have a hell of a lot more experience when they upgrade, unlike the guys from 25-30 years ago. Some of them had a whopping 12 - 18 months in the right seat at SWA. Now they lecture us "kids" about how we need to get some good experience before accepting a Captain's bid. Blah blah blah!! :puke:

Last edited:
RightBettor said:
I always ask these guys, "Didn't you know that age 60 was the cutoff when you accepted the position?" That gets 'em going. You knew the rules going in... okay, let me get this right, we start the game and it lasts for nine innings. Yet at the top of the ninth, your team is short of runs, so you ask the umpire to make a 10 or 11 inning game... oh, nevermind! Now you are 59 years old and you piss and moan about how wrong it is. If age 60 was a problem for you, then you should have flown corporate.

Your absolutely right. The rules never change in baseball. Oh wait, what is that designated hitter thing? How many wild card teams make the playoffs? Wasn't the way it was when I started watching baseball. Damn analogies.

Okay, bad analogy, I'll agree. If people want to fight for change, then that's fine, but knock of this whole "it's discrimination" and "it's not fair" garbage.

Latest resources

Back