• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Chicago Express

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is the Saab (or is that Slob) 2000 as much of a dog as the 340 is?

The guys at FS said the 2000 is a mean machine, the cockpit looks pretty nice too...

B

I think the S2000 is the most advanced turboprop ever created for the airlines, it just came out head to head with the CRJ and ended up a marketing failure for Saab. It will climb at the same rate as an RJ and in some cases better, it will do 250 knots in a single engine climb, tops out at 370 knots in cruise, has slow 6 bladed props and an active noise reduction system that brings the cabin to RJ like volumes (but I heard still more "buffetting" on the ground as you taxi because of the props), APU, full glass, EICAS, FMS, Cat IIIa Heads Up Display, and the various other trimmings. Computer control leaves the conditions levers out making this the only prop I know of with only power levers just like a true jet. It also has 4 times the range of the S340 and burns much less full than a 50 seat RJ.

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=348

Last edited:
NASCAR utilizes Roger Penske's Saab 2000 (N500PR) here at KJQF. It is an impressive beast. I think it is the largest airplane based here at KJQF (until the runway is extended and Roush brings in the 727's).

Because it is so big, it looks like it is crawling on final. Anyone know what Vref is on a fully loaded airplane?

We were looking at operating the Saab2000 from GM. They had all 3 that were in the US. I know they sold one to Piedmont.....which I think is doin that NASCAR thing now. The airplane is AWESOME and the climb numbers are UNREAL.

But I still think there are only 3 in the US period. So are they making them for yall now?!

The best turboprop in the world, but they were introduced right during the start of the CRJ/ERJ wars.......bad timing...

Question - I'm curious if C8 would be able to fill the 2000 on their current routes - don't know much about the company other than I want to work for them!

Fly Chicago I love your qoute about the heavy!! We wont have problems filling 50 seast or 70 seats. We have good markets, but frequency might change, but I would expect a lot more cities to be added as well. Also we lost one of our routes to IND I beleive next month, ATA is putting another 737 on it, but I beleive that is so we can add more frequency to our current cities. Also there is suppose to be a big announcement tomorrow from ATA, its hush, hush, who knows its probably nothing. I'm in recurrent tomorrow so hopefully we can get some info out of SH. By the way fly are you done with OE?
Anthony

talk to scheduling Fly they will try to avoid starting you on that day. also unless you get one of the non-line fly OE guys like dave b. you shouldn't work the weekends 'cause none of us line holding check airman fly the weekends. :)

Fly yes your right on what I was trying to say. We'll if you got the yahoo group e-mail from Scott he did make a comment on something coming out tomorrow, again if it is what is on the employee web site its not that huge. Who knows will find out soon enough. The more reading I do on this Saab 2000, it gets me more excited, its really an awesome airplane, unfortunally passengers dont like the props, but oh well, I would love to fly it.
Well good luck up in Minny, you'll have fun, and don't stress out to much!
Anthony

CV-580

Computer control leaves the conditions levers out making this the only prop I know of with only power levers just like a true jet.

The Convair 580's with the Allison turboprops also have a single lever power control. It's just a single go lever that reads out in horsepower instead of torque. Good luck in getting the 2000's, they are from what I've heard an awesome machine. God willing I'll get the call from ChiEx and at the least get a chance to fly the 340.

With fingers crossed,
TJ

Latest resources

Back