Check out these times

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
value of hours

Sure I see your point. However, I have seen that the guys with the hours have the experience to relax when things don't go as planned and systems, weather, or unexpected situations arrise.
Personally, my stick skills have not changed much above the 500 hour marker, but my judgement and ability to cope in stressful
situtaions has changed and continues to get better.

metro sherriff, ab initio,

you have a good point about ab initio, so let me go here, there is a tendency in some training depts to mollycoddle and show a tolerance for less than standard. if the low time does a great job then fantastic, I know such a guy, and ihelped him get on CCair with five hundred, i'd flown with him and he was a good stick...in sum, if you're a good stick, hours are irrevelent, and touchay for the guys that are getting hired

Re: value of hours

Benzene said:
However, I have seen that the guys with the hours have the experience to relax when things don't go as planned and systems, weather, or unexpected situations arrise.

Now that's for sure!!!

Personally, my stick skills have not changed much above the 500 hour marker, but my judgement and ability to cope in stressful
situtaions has changed and continues to get better.

I think my judgement may be a little better, but I still land 'em like a 14 hour student pilot...

;)

Re: metro sherriff, ab initio,

climbhappy said:
you have a good point about ab initio, so let me go here, there is a tendency in some training depts to mollycoddle and show a tolerance for less than standard. if the low time does a great job then fantastic, I know such a guy, and ihelped him get on CCair with five hundred, i'd flown with him and he was a good stick...in sum, if you're a good stick, hours are irrevelent, and touchay for the guys that are getting hired

Good point, and I agree that there are training depts that let some lowtimers slide. In that case, the blame is on the IP or the structure of the dept., not the pilot. If they can handle it, great!! If not, they should be shown the door. There are too many competent, proficient pilots, high and low time, to wet nurse a substandard new hire along thru a training program. They should be shown NO preference just because they came thru a bridge program or internship, IMHO.

Then again opinions are like....oh never mind.

Yankee301 said:
I just wanted everyone to see that those 12 and 2 minimums that ASA and Comair promote, aren't so true.

Can't speak for Comair, but the low time newhires at ASA are few and far between these days, and mostly they're still being hired to fulfill the contract ASA and FSI had. I know the bridge programs with many of the colleges have stopped. I think the advertising of super low time newhires you see are mostly just that, Advertisements, trying to sell something.

I don't have any official #'s, but of the newhires I've flown with or spoken to lately, the vast majority are coming from other 121 carriers. Lots of Eagle, Commutair, etc coming over. We've got furloughed Delta guys in class, I just flew with a newhire who has 3 type ratings. Trust me, we're not hiring very many low timers.

That being said, the low timers generally do fine, and almost always have a good attitude and work ethic. The lack of experience is an issue, but not a huge one, and most of our line Capts have no problem with them.

There must have been some really "experienced" pilots on the Korean Air flight that sqwauked 7500 for the last 90 minutes of their flight on Sept. 11 due to a "misunderstanding" of ATC instructions! Yea, ab initio works?!?!?!? RIGHT!

Pay your freakin dues!!!!!!!!!!!

gump

paying your dues

There is always someone else out there with more experience tand has supposely paid more dues than you. Get off that spot.
On the other hand, there is no short cut in aviation that will not eventually injur person or property, more than likely it will do both.

However, for the last eight months my dues have been going absolutely out the door. There is no magic number, our bussiness is not run by the FARs its run by the insurance man, with no other knowledge than averages and mean percentages.

Yea, but 500 hours and a commercial certificate should not put you anywhere near a 121 Airline!!!!

Flame away!!!!!!! I have been there......13 years in 121 ops and 20 years in aviation! And if you try to say its all about the "quality of training", thats BS!!!!! I have been actively involved in training for AOPA for the past 7 years, it's about EXPERIENCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can't teach JUDGEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh well, here it comes..................haha

gump:eek:

You **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** right it reflects on their training and inexperience!!!!!

gump

Latest resources

Back