Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Yankee301

Boss
Has anyone looked at the Airline Pilot Careers Magazine August issue yet? Check out the back where it lists flight times of new hires.
ASA and Comair are listed, two companies who say they are pretty firm with 12 and 2 minimums.

Total time hire for ASA new hire: 300 hours!!!! Multi:60, c'mon I am happy for the guy but that is a bit low

Total time hire for Comair new hire: 700 hours!!!!
Well it must be nice to have friends in high places.
Sorry about the bitterness of the post, but thought I would bring this to everyone's attention.

low new hire times

it should be a blast watching the guy's face when they fly one down to mins with gust to 35 in a level 4 echo.. throw in a little lightning flash for effect. make it the last leg of an eight day...make it his leg

It makes me feel so warm and safe knowing that my family may one day end up on a plane that you're flying.

Do me a favor and make sure you include your little 'lesson' in every interview you do from now on. Thanks.

low time hires

hey EO pilot... must have rubbed you the wrong way.. but sir the truth is unless you've flown the line and had to take the airplane from somebody that got pencil whipped through training and should have never been signed off of IOE, then you don't understand my perspective... further, ask any line pilot who has had to do the same even in VFR, they should have never made it that far...

Re: low new hire times

climbhappy said:
it should be a blast watching the guy's face when they fly one down to mins with gust to 35 in a level 4 echo.. throw in a little lightning flash for effect. make it the last leg of an eight day...make it his leg

Man, you are barney bad-a$$!!

"Pu$$ies" like me usually just hold for a while till the level 4 is off the field. Maybe if I am lucky I will get to fly with a stud like you and pick up a few pointers.:rolleyes:

uhhh.....bet you are wrong.

When you check in with Michael today, ask him about MetroSheriff, have him tell you the Vidalia, GA., story.

Last edited:
metrosherriff, the vidalia stud!

let me try to put this in a language that doesn't make you curse.
The guy started this thing with a point about low timers at 121.
i have seen it first hand..it doesn't work. they actually compromise air safety when they can't handle the aircraft when flying in high density environments, ( i.e. pitch, power, trim) and controlling it during weather and imc. some can be taught, some improve, others get sent to the chief pilot's office. also, with regard to your remark about weather, I have a humble respect for mother nature, but after I upgraded and was staring at the radar monitor in the crew room, the old grey haired fart looked at me and said ...don't worry you're going...you've got a release. remember, at this level they expect us to be pros and deal with all of it. I never said fly through the dang thing.. man ,i go around it.

Stud?....Hardly. Just a funny story about the glamorous world of box hauling. I am sure everyone has one just like it. As for the cursing, I was just ribbing you as I am SURE you were using the art of exageration to make your point. Sorry if it was taken out of context.

i have seen it first hand..it doesn't work. they actually compromise air safety when they can't handle the aircraft when flying in high density environments, ( i.e. pitch, power, trim) and controlling it during weather and imc. some can be taught, some improve, others get sent to the chief pilot's office.

The same could be said for many 4,5, and 6 thousand hour pilots as well.

I was an instructor in the late 80's and left aviation in the early 90's when the regionals wouldn't touch you with 1500 hours, let alone 300. But that's job market economics more than an indicator of whether or not low time pilots are safe. Ab Initio has been succesful in Europe for MANY YEARS. Military pilots are flying much more sophisticated a/c than 1900's, EMB-120, and RJ's, with a lot less than 300 hours. It all depends on the training and the individual.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water. That's my point.

ab initio in europe is a completely different matter. As far as knowledge goes the european 300 hours pilot is light years ahead of the american 300 hour pilot in terms of knowledge. Anyone who holds an JAA ATP and an FAA ATP can speak to the difference. I do believe low-time pilots can be good pilots, so does climbhappy, I am sure, but I just wanted everyone to see that those 12 and 2 minimums that ASA and Comair promote, aren't so true.

Latest resources

Back