Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cheap CA

I wish I was making this one up...

Flew on a highspeed with an 18year Capt from CLT-MYR. My guess is that he makes 100k/yr. Anyway, he told me he picked up the trip in opentime (paying him 12 hours extra). He then told me on the way to MYR that he was making just about $1,000 for the roundtrip.
Would you believe the 2 FA's and I tipped the van driver $1 each when we got to our hotel? Of course our Capt. didn't leave a penny! Same goes for the next day on the way to the airport. Our FA's monthly salary is probably what this guy made for this highspeed!

For every civilian who tips 40% (as you obviously do)

So if the old lady an I go out to dinner and spend 60 bucks (not a very high amount nowadays) I am supposed to tip the guy 24 bucks???

Thats more per hour than 78% of the guys on the regional board make!

And that's my fault as the consumer? No, it's not. Could you do me a favor and tell them I said to stop b!tching and get me my refill.

Most wait staff make 1.5-2 times as much as regional FO's. Wait staff don't have to spend 6 years and 50K (at least) getting educated for their job. The dollar doesn't go any farther for us.

The world isn't fair. Wheres my iced tea?

So just because an FO is underpaid (as I hope we all can agree), that makes it correct that waitstaff who depend on their customers to earn a living must suffer too?

You see, the problem is that we're supposed to be a society that cares... We (in the West) were once called a "Christian" society, which isn't to say, Jews and Muslims aren't kind, as they also have examples of this in their culture... but the term was applied more in a general sense to mean "kind" or "caring"... Today it's all "me" and "I"

However you in my view represent the victory of your country of origins former doctrine.. that of a Godless communist world where dog eats dog and human kindness is considered anathema..

Peace out.

So just because an FO is underpaid (as I hope we all can agree), that makes it correct that waitstaff who depend on their customers to earn a living must suffer too?

Absolutely not. Wait staff must give good service to recieve a good tip. This tip should not exceed what the consumer believes that the waiter should recieve as a salary per hour. Therefore, I would not tip 24 dollars on a 60 dollar check for 45 minutes of service. I would reduce it to around ten dollars so as not to overpay the server.

You see, the problem is that we're supposed to be a society that cares... We (in the West) were once called a "Christian" society, which isn't to say, Jews and Muslims aren't kind, as they also have examples of this in their culture... but the term was applied more in a general sense to mean "kind" or "caring"... Today it's all "me" and "I"

Its all "me and I" because it has become a dog eat dog world. I wouldn't give a server an extra 10 bucks if I needed it to pay my water bill. And I never said anything about being unkind. I simply stated that I am tired of hearing wait staff complain like it is some kind of difficult job.

However you in my view represent the victory of your country of origins former doctrine.. that of a Godless communist world where dog eats dog and human kindness is considered anathema..
It has nothing to do with kindness. It has to do with business. If the service is not good, why should I tip generously? And if I don't, you say I am not a good religious person? You are way off base here.

Peace out.
Sure buddy!

I usually tip about 15 - 20% depending on service. Just recently my family and I went out to one of those above average Pizza / Itallian joints. The waitress was extremely rude, as a matter of fact I was surprised to see a Russian in a Itallian Restaurant. She never greeted us, never smiled, would not come to the table to see how things were going etc, etc.....At one point my 4 yr old spilled his Coke and she just let another waiter clean it up.

I could not believe this was happening but I said nothing. Instead, I tipped her about $2.40 on a $45 bill. I really should not have given that much but I realized we enjoyed the food and would probably want to return.

About a week later we did return and my wife and I looked inside before entering to she if she was there. It was rather comical. I did not want anyone tampering with my food if you know what I mean...

Anyways, my point is very basic. Service people can either make or break a company. If she had been there we would have went somewhere else along with our money. So, next time you want to be cheap with the tipping think about the service you just received. If it was adequate then give the 15%, and if it was excellent then give more. If it was poor then its all fair game.

Just do us all a favor and stop living on the shoestrings of everyone else if your one of those CHEAPOS this post is about.

Another thing that irks me is the guys that are condesending and rude to the hotel staff, ground crew and others that don't treat him like the royalty he thinks he is. They are self-centered and think the world revolves around them. Do doctors, lawyers, salesmen, etc have the same percentage of people like this? Don't get me wrong, I love working with my pilot brothers and sisters, but these types give us a bad name.

This annoys me as well. I always say hello and thank you to everyone I come in contact with. Some people just walk by like they are too good.....annoying.

I think doctors, lawyers and salesmen have the same types.
For example, I worked at a hospital for years and doctors, IMO are worse than pilots. They come in and it's like the president of the universe just walked in....ridiculous.
I have run into lawyers that just do something else while you are talking to them.....RUDE!
I remember going into an Audi dealership and wasn't given the time of day because I probably looked young (at the time) and I didn't have a pot to pi$$ in. To this day, I won't buy an Audi because of those schmucks.

I remember going into an Audi dealership and wasn't given the time of day because I probably looked young (at the time) and I didn't have a pot to pi$$ in. To this day, I won't buy an Audi because of those schmucks.

Aw! I walked into a Jared jewelry store in shorts and flip flops. No one would help me! Finally the manager came out and she asked me "Are you sure you need some help?". Give me a break! It's a fargin jewelry store, not a Republican fund raiser!

WTFO??? I am never buying from them, EVER!

Aw! I walked into a Jared jewelry store in shorts and flip flops. No one would help me! Finally the manager came out and she asked me "Are you sure you need some help?". Give me a break! It's a fargin jewelry store, not a Republican fund raiser!

WTFO??? I am never buying from them, EVER!

It just goes to show how people make assumptions based on how people look which is lame. Heck, half of the time I probably look like I don't even have a job when I go grocery shopping or running errands on my days off.

Ok, maybe military guys tip big. I haven't seen it though...ever.

In fact I've had two (!) of them pick up my tip money and give part of it back because they thought I had made a mistake.

But then again, perhaps I'm living in a bubble and all of the comments from military guys that say things like, "You have to tip them?" when I talk about a vacation with porters and guides.

I don't think it's because they are bad people, I just think the culture is such that many career military are not comfortable with the whole tipping thing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back