• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cheap people and the examiner fee!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My examiner fee was $250, I had told my money people (folks) two months beforehand that it could be as much as $400 since the airport I was flying at was over an hour drive from the nearest FSDO.

So when I said hey, I need a check to so and so for $250, they were plesantly suprised.

Thats one way of going about it, make sure the folks paying know.

Immelman said:
On the other hand, for certain checkrides I do think $350 is too much... the guy who did my commercial charged that. I think the whole ordeal was 2 hours long...
Yeah...350 for my instrument...less than 2 hours oral and ride.

But, hey...350 was fine with me, given its ease.

flydrummer said:
Tell them they should be glad that they only spent $6000 on training. In my area $6000 is the base price. $8 to $10K is more realistic.
Geez...up in NJ I paid ~5k. DE was 200 or 250 I think.

I think its a mandatory $1200 in the UK for the CAA examiners, per exam. Not that I was ever foolish enough to pay for any flying there.

Fees?

DEN area is $350 for a private, instrument or commercial single. I paid $400 for the commercial multi add-on, but could have done it cheaper with a different examiner. (Well worth the extra $50 though!)

I think the thought behind the high price for the ride is that (1) you will be prepared to take the ride, i.e no half-assing the effort and attempting to take an exam multiple time, and (2) insurance for the examiner. They tend to have a high liabilty when signing off on a ticket. They have only a matter of hours and one ride to determine that individual's abilities. It all provides for maximum effort and preperation for each checkride.

I did have a FAA guy sit in on my CFI ride (pinked!) and I do believe that DEs are more forgiving, if only because they are human!

boeingaaa said:
For my private pilot checkride, it ended up costing me $600, and the checkride wasn't all that long because I did fairly well on it. At least the DE was pretty nice, he also gave me some college advice. If his advice turns out to be good, then he just saved me $80,000 by not going to ERAU, if he's wrong, he may have cost me alot of money by not getting any good jobs.

$80K to learn how to perform neurosurgery makes sense.

$80K to learn how to earn peanuts pushing knobs and pulling buttons, doesn't.

MFR

schoolio said:
I believe it's $350 here in PHX, except for initial CFI which is more like $500.
Yeap, thats how much it cost me in PHX a couple years ago.

And if you failed, it would cost you half the original price for the retake.

User997 said:
Yeap, thats how much it cost me in PHX a couple years ago.

And if you failed, it would cost you half the original price for the retake.

Buddy of mined pinked the oral..DE would not fly until oral was sat.. 350 for the initial for 1.5 hours in a room...then 250 for the recheck for the flights...

beware floridian students of DE L@rry Thomas

Latest resources

Back