Cheap people and the examiner fee!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingToIST

I got a call from a parent of a student that is going to go through PPL flight check. The examiner charges $350 for each check ride. The parent , who up to this point spent close to $6000 for the training, flipped when we told him that the examiner fee is $350. First he thought that it was something we charge, but we assured him that it's something that the examiner charges..

Now the guy is calling FSDO so that he can get a free examiner.

If this was a poor guy I'd understand but it is quite the opposite.

Here, got it off my chest

FlyingToIST said:

Exactly how they kept from being a poor guy--watched and understood exactly where their money is going. They probably flipped from lack of realizing the additional examiner's fee upfront. The funny thing is the $6 g's probably doesn't bother them as much because they see where the costs are going.

C'est la vie.

Isn't it going to cost him an arm and a leg to fly the plane TO the FSDO? Maybe you should point that out to them. Have you also informed him that DEs are typically more forgiving than the FAA? How many times does he want to have to fly that plane to the FSDO and pay for it? Maybe you could make him take you and pay for your time while you wait on him to do the checkride. Most FSDOs are at Class B airports. I don't know how comfortable I would feel signing off a solo student to go to a class B airport alone. Anything to keep him from going to the feds. Don't they value your opinion enough to pay the 350? Don't forget it is YOUR pass rate, not just his checkride. Sonds like the parents are a couple of tools. Oh well, good luck with him.

On the other hand, for certain checkrides I do think $350 is too much... the guy who did my commercial charged that. I think the whole ordeal was 2 hours long...

FlyingToIST said:
I got a call from a parent of a student that is going to go through PPL flight check. The examiner charges $350 for each check ride. The parent , who up to this point spent close to $6000 for the training, flipped when we told him that the examiner fee is $350. First he thought that it was something we charge, but we assured him that it's something that the examiner charges..

Now the guy is calling FSDO so that he can get a free examiner.

Here, got it off my chest

Tell them they should be glad that they only spent $6000 on training. In my area $6000 is the base price. $8 to $10K is more realistic.

RichardRambone said:
Gotta become a DE. 350 for maybe 3-4 hours of timeis great.

For my private pilot checkride, it ended up costing me $600, and the checkride wasn't all that long because I did fairly well on it. At least the DE was pretty nice, he also gave me some college advice. If his advice turns out to be good, then he just saved me $80,000 by not going to ERAU, if he's wrong, he may have cost me alot of money by not getting any good jobs.

boeingaaa said:
For my private pilot checkride, it ended up costing me $600...

I think you got ripped off. Isn't there a standard price that all DE's are supposed to charge for the various checkrides? 600 bucks sounds way to freakin' steep to me....Where are you that it cost that much? If all the DE's are charging that, it's one thing, if he's the only one charging that it's quite another.

EB

boeingaaa said:
For my private pilot checkride, it ended up costing me $600...

I think you got ripped off. Isn't there a standard price that all DE's are supposed to charge for the various checkrides? 600 bucks sounds way to freakin' steep to me....Where are you that it cost that much? If all the DE's are charging that, it's one thing, if he's the only one charging that it's quite another.

EB

$250 in the OKC area....... and I thought that was a little steep!

Latest resources

Back