Chautauqua ?s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Low & Slow

How's their future look? Future and expansion or contraction with and beyond the Delta FLA deal? Number of pilots and a/c current and future? Pay 1st, 2nd & 3rd year FO & Capt.? Upgrade-How long? Based on seniority/total time/both or brown nosing?
I understand they have had new hire captains in the past. Training contract-Are you supposed pay it back regardless or just if you leave early? Where are the sims? Are they train to profiency or do they have alot of washouts? Is every training flight like a checkride or do they try to you something? CPTs and FMS preparation? How's the EMB135/145? Still flying any Saabs? I understand hotels paid and $125 a week through training. Are schedules descent? Good for commuters? How long on reserve?
Does the contract allow stand ups? Does scheduling use stand ups? Bases? How Wexford ownership and management? When does current contract expire? ALPA? Flight attendents fat, easy,...? Would you recommend working there? Please include any other info that may be useful. Thank you very much in advance.

Alright, Here goes

L&S,

Here's a few answers that represent my opinion only.

1. Future looks alright. More stability with the added codeshares.
2. Mgmnt is always looking for expansion opportunities.
3. Last count was on the high side of 500 and the low side of 600-ish. Around 60 jets with more options, Don't know the specific numbers.
4. Don't have the current figures right now, but I think it is pretty crappy as pay goes. The contract has been expired since 11/2000.
5. Upgreade at this point will probably be a couple of years and is based on total time and seniority and having a bid in for it.
6. New hire Captains? That won't be happening anytime soon.
7. The training contract is a joke. the pages aren't even numbered.
8. Pilot training is all done at FSI in St. Louis
9. Last I heard it was train to proficiency
10. CPT's and FMS training are a part of the curriculum. I think a week of FMS and a little less for the CPT.
11. Haven't flown the jet, so I can't answer that.
12. The last of the Saab pilots will go to jet class in August or September.
13. Schedules are average at best. Commuting can be done. Reserve is gonna depend on your base. No specific numbers on that.
14. Standups were done on the Saab. I don't know if they still are and I don't know if they're done on the jet, but I don't think so.
15. Bases are STL,IND, CMH, PIT, PHL, RIC, LGA and BOS. MCO should open late this year or early next year and FWA is going to closing when the Saab's leave.
16. Mangement is evil to say the least. They work very hard to be oppressive IMO.
17. See above for contract expiration.
18. ALPA would be nice to have. Instead CHQ pilots are blessed with the stooges from IBT.
19. FA's are good mix of older, younger, fat and thin. As for being easy, that depends on how good of a mack you are.
20. No, I would not recommend working there as management has continually gone out of their way to make it very clear that the labor groups are a liability and not an asset. IMO, I've been treated by management as if I am the enemy instead of as a member of the team.

Lastly, as I said above, these are merely my opinions. Others may give you information and opinions that are very similar or very different. Hopefully others will give you information as well so that you can get a good idea of the big picture and make an informed decision. Good luck with your search for information.

Aceshigh

Low & Slow what Aceshigh told you is not all correct. I am a CHQ jet Capt.

1. Pretty true, we are growing, getting new jets, and hiring new people throught the whole company.

2. VERY TRUE, always looking for more business. There is a big rumor aboult the possibility of another codeshare. I've heard by the end of summer, we might have a new codeshare.

3. we have 26 USAirways jets (maxed out), currently 14 140's and 2 145's in STL for AA (more 140's on the way), and about 10 145's in CMH for America West, which is still growing. (I'm not sure on the exact numbers in CMH, because I'm not based there). We have taken the 145's from AA and moved them to AW.
As of June 6th we have 509 pilots on the seniority list.

4. 1st year FO 19.96; 2nd 23.11; 3rd 32.??
3rd year CAPT 140 47.30
3rd year CAPT 145 55.48
Our contract expired nov 2001. We voted down a TA a year ago, and are currently in negotiations.

5. Upgrade is running just over 2 years (you need 2500 tt and the seniority). With all the new jets within 18 months you might see CAPT around a year or so.

6. You'll never see street capts in the jets..

7. You'll have to sign a contract during training, which basically says if you leave within 2 years you have to pay CHQ $10,000.00 for training.

8&9. All training is done through FSI, and it isn't train to Prof. There are washouts. The company is willing to work with people, but if you can't do it your gone.

10. New hires only get a day and a half on the FMS, you will learn the FMS during IOE. CPT is 3 days.
Upgrades are now a 2 week class. A couple days of recurrrent ground, a day or 2 of CPT, then 4 sims then a checkride.

11. It's a good bird, everything you would want, but no autothrottles. our oldest jet is just over 3 years old.

12. Saabs are sch. to end pax service around august. We still have a couple of EAS airports trying to give to someone else. We still have a spare SAAB in STL.

13. Sch are depending on base. From what I hear STL is the only base that is entirely commutable (that is where I am). how long on RSV?? who knows, with all of the growth scheduled, I would guess maybe a couple of months at the most.

14. Standups are in STL at least, only 2 lines of them for July and August. I don't know about eth other bases.

15. Aceshgh was right.

16. mang. has made a few decisions which has pissed the pilot group off. But what airline has a great relationship with the pilot union?

18. ALPA isn't the answer. A union is only has strong as the EXC. council. We voted in a almost new council, and our union is starting to become much stronger. I have no problems with the teamsters as our union right now.

19. Don't fish from the compnay pier.

20. I love working at CHQ. The pilot group is great, a fun bunch of peole. Everyone works together (sometimes). There are bad days and there are great days. There isn't the prefect airline out there. We have a lot of growth and our future looks very good.

If you have any more questions, I will do my best to answer them

SF340flyer

sf340flyer is right

I fly for Chq too and think it is a good choice. With 22 jets coming on line next year for Delta and more optioned up grade time should be quick and the FO list will really be moving so reserve time should be min. I commute to PHL and most months I stay in hotels 2-3 nights which is better than a crash pad since 4 nights is my break even point. As for the f/a's, this isn't the 70's so just let it go let it go.

Is CHQ hiring?

Is CHQ hiring? Do either of you (sf340flyer or dav8or) know what the mins are? What's competitive there? I heard it's a great place to work. lot's of great people and all. I would really like to put my resume in, so any help would be appreciated.

By the way, does anyone know "coconut?" I lost the business card he gave to me over a year ago. If so, how can I get a hold of him? (Or he can get a hold of me if someone would send me a private message, I will provide my e-mail address to give to him).

Thanks in advance!:p

Latest resources

Back