Chances of getting on with a Major....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

k2774

I know I'll get the "anything is possible answers," but I have a question regaurding my future. It's been my dream since a child to become a pilot for a major airline, and I currently have about 425TT/18M at age 35. I also have a MS in Physics and have been accepted into a few PhD programs in physics.

My question is.......provided I continue to shell out thousands of dollars to work through my ratings ang forego the PhD program, do you think I will have a chance at getting a good "return on my investment" by getting on with a major......or any lucrative flying job for that matter?

Although a dream, I'm trying to rationalize of shelling out $30-40 on flight training, and the furthest I can go is to a regional or small cargo carrier.

What would you do if you were in my shoes.....I guess that's the gist of my question. Thanks in advance for the responces.

The return on your money in terms of money would definately be much better going the PhD route. I would ask yourself if flying is more important than financial security. You might find it in aviation at a major but the chances are somewhat slim at this point. The industry is cyclical though and currently we are near the bottom of the cycle. Depending on how quickly you progress through your training and subsequent hour building, you might make it during the upswing. But don't count on it. Right now the safest bet on continued employment in aviation lies with the cargo carriers. If you want to fly boxes at night, that can be rewarding. There are carriers making money now but you can't predict the future easily in this industry so what is happining now might not be what will happen later. Your masters and PhD degrees will help you be more competitive with other applicants but are not needed with line operations. Cudos to you for getting that education though and best of luck with your career whatever you decide. I hope that helps.

K2774:
I made a career change from physics to aviation. You have a tough decision to make. I'll send you a private message.

Regards

k2774 said:
I know I'll get the "anything is possible answers," but I have a question regaurding my future. It's been my dream since a child to become a pilot for a major airline, and I currently have about 425TT/18M at age 35. I also have a MS in Physics and have been accepted into a few PhD programs in physics.

My question is.......provided I continue to shell out thousands of dollars to work through my ratings ang forego the PhD program, do you think I will have a chance at getting a good "return on my investment" by getting on with a major......or any lucrative flying job for that matter?

Although a dream, I'm trying to rationalize of shelling out $30-40 on flight training, and the furthest I can go is to a regional or small cargo carrier.

What would you do if you were in my shoes.....I guess that's the gist of my question. Thanks in advance for the responces.

If you have a promising career all lined up that will not leave you on the edge of bankruptsy like the airline biz, than I would say thats the direction you need to go.

This aint the mid to late 90's, nowadays its like winning the lottory(or a $7000 737 type)to get that "airline" job.

I bet by the time most of us in this industry will retire, we will all be at the controls of a regional jet eekin out a living, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Let your college education work for you, and then go buy yourself a nice shinny airplane and let aviation be a hobby.

Last edited:
k2774 said:
I currently have about 425TT/18M at age 35. I also have a M in Physics and have been accepted into a few PhD programs in physics.

What is your earnings potential as a PhD in physics? As far as I know, good paying jobs where you would want to live for physics PhDs are about as scarce as major airline jobs are, if not more so.

do you think I will have a chance at getting a good "return on my investment" by getting on with a major......or any lucrative flying job for that matter?

Silly question. Do what you love, don't make life choices based on "return on investment", otherwise you'd be in chemical sales. Answer your own question: would you do this job for free? Either the physics or flying? Pick the job you'd do for free, then every cent you earn will be an excellent ROI. And take me seriously, working for free is pretty much what you have to do to make your way up the ladder, at least effectively working for free.

That's some of the best flying in the world. Major airline jobs include great pay, nice hotels, perfect equipment and zero autonomy. Other words: boring. Why do you suppose so many major pilots own their own airlplanes? Hint: it's not because they think it's a good investment. If that kind of flying doesn't appeal to you, then don't bother with the career.

I think you've already made your choice and you've chosen academics. When I was in my early 20s, my burning desire to fly was so evident that I used to get teased--I would go anywhere, anytime for free for an hour of multi. You apparently won't.

There still are a lot of different types of flying jobs out there. Some people aren't in it for the security, more for the lifestyle. I think that the quality of life it provides suits some more then others. More important then money or stability is the freedom to travel and fly. It is a good time for starting out, quite a few jobs available. Just not careers.

I knew I would'nt be able to avoid the sarcasm, but "radarlove" I don't think you haven't the slightest clue as to what the career outlook for a physicist is. please explore www.aps.org, www.doe.gov, www.nsf.gov. We're all not college professors. We work at the national labs, for the government, and even for the airlines. We can even apply to the astronaut program.

YOU HAVE TO MAKE SOME LIFE CHOICES BASED ON THE "RETURN ON INVESTMENT" UNLESS YOU WANT TO GROW OLD BROKE. I WISH I DID LIVE IN A DO WHAT YOU LOVE KIND OF WORLD, BUT I DON'T. BECOMING A PHYSICIST IS NOT AS MUCH OF A GAMBLE AS TRYING TO FIND MEANINGFUL EMPLOYMENT IN AVIATION......AND I DO ENJOY BOTH. ESPECIALLY WHEN I DON'T HAVE AGE ON MY SIDE AND THE INDUSTRY IN THE SHAPE THAT IT IS.

SOMETIMES I WONDER IF SOME OF YOU LIVE IN REALITY. WOULD YOU OR COULD YOU EVEN LIVE OFF OF 40-60k A YEAR UNTIL YOU'RE SIXTY.....ALL WHILE RAISING A FAMILY, SAVING FOR RETIREMENT, TAKING CARE OF ELDERLY PARENTS. AND NOT TO MENTION ANY OTHER LIFE EMERGENCIES THAT MAY ARISE. SHOW ME WHERE THIS IS POSSIBLE, AT THE SAME TIME LIVING A COMFORTABLE LIFE, NOT LAVISH, AND I'LL SIGN THE DOTTED LINE.

I know that I have choices and I realize that it might be a risk. AND BELIVE ME, I WILL ANSWER MY OWN QUESTION. I'M JUST TRYING TO GET MORE INPUT FROM INDIVIDUALS WHO ARE IN THE INDUSTRY SO THAT I CAN MAKE A MORE INFORMED DECISION.

I guaran-dam-tee that your latest post, in which you ridicule, belittle, and shout at someone trying to provide you with a non-sarcastic post of information as he sees it is going to go FAR in getting you ANY more responses at all.

Besides, no one knows what this industry will look like by the time you are ready to compete for one of these "major" jobs. Therefore, only you can decide if it is "worth" investing time and money in the pursuit.

See ya.

Last edited:
I was just looking at my annual statement from the Social Security Administration and it wasn't pretty. I started flying at 19 and paid for it all myself. At 26 I started working as a CFI. At 28 I got my first flying job (VFR part 135), at 30 I got a job with a regional. At 31 I got on with one of the top 5 cargo airlines and at 34 started with United. I have been furloughed for 2.5 years and now have a decent, not great, job.

At each step of my career I believed I was making good decisions and thought I was always moving on to something bigger and better. I probably wouldn't have done anything different given the information I had at the time. I'll be 40 in a couple of months and have never made over $56,000/yr. In fact, I never made over $20,000/yr until I was 30.

Airline flying is a fun job...quite boring at times, but overall still fun for me. However, it is a job now and not much of a career. In the 12 years that I have flown professionally I have probably averaged about $28,000/yr. I have missed many holidays, birthdays, etc... I long for the days flying a Cherokee around on a great day for no reason. Since I'm married with a mortgage and have a few mouths to feed, I can't justify spending the money (about $85/hr) to rent a C-172. To me that type of flying is fun, airline flying is a job.

I don't know your individual story other than what you've written, but I would suggest not getting into the airline industry. Too unstable, and the salaries just keep going down.

Good luck with your decision.

GP

Latest resources

Back