• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Champion Air

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There's been quite a bit written on here about working at Champion. Do a search and you'll find bunch...

But in a nut shell:

If you are a senior captain or FO in MSP, yeah, life really isn't too bad at all. Once you get to an outstation and your junior, life is really not good at all. We have a management team that still thinks we are a mom-and-pop operation and it is run in that fashion. There is blatant disregard for violating our lawful contract and they choose not to follow the grievance process that both parties agreed to.

That aside, they perpetually understaff the company. We get rescheduled more than any other company I've ever seen. The language in the current contract provides holes large enough that a semi could drive through them. For instance, the company has up to 24 hours to get you home at the completion of your trip. They don't have to pay you any more than scheduled or actual value for that particular trip, even though you effectively lost a day off. This is just one small example.

Some other details of our contract really are not too stellar.

1/2 pay for DH's (We typically dead-head all over the country)
No minimum day (This is especially important when you are out 3-5 day NBA trip and you only credit 8 hours)
No defined rest, per Part 121 supplemental rules
24 hour, 6 day a week reserve periods
65 hour guarantee
Minimum 10 days off
No company match 401k contributions
Almost 6 months of every year are blocked so that you cannot bid vacation during those times (Mostly during the summer)
Expensive health care coverage - I guess like any company nowadays
Per diem only during training (Training is defined from the point you begin ground school until you finish OE - Some newer pilots took up to 2 1/2 months to finish OE)

This isn't a "train-to-proficiency" company. Most pilots refer to proficiency checks as "PC by firing squad". The chief pilot acts in a dual capacity as chief pilot and check airman around here. (Personally, I feel that it's a conflict of interest, but that's just me).

We are attempting to get a new contract in place. There is speculation that we may be released for possible strike around May, but who knows... :rolleyes:

If you have a choice, go somewhere else, I would highly recommend you explore those options. If you want to upgrade, it's sitting anywhere from a year up to 7 years depending on base.

If you want some other opinions, I think thedude worked there also... You might be able to PM him for some more info...

The biggest thing is "BUYER BEWARE"....

Hope this helps.

There's been quite a bit written on here about working at Champion. Do a search and you'll find bunch...

But in a nut shell:

If you are a senior captain or FO in MSP, yeah, life really isn't too bad at all. Once you get to an outstation and your junior, life is really not good at all. We have a management team that still thinks we are a mom-and-pop operation and it is run in that fashion. There is blatant disregard for violating our lawful contract and they choose not to follow the grievance process that both parties agreed to.

That aside, they perpetually understaff the company. We get rescheduled more than any other company I've ever seen. The language in the current contract provides holes large enough that a semi could drive through them. For instance, the company has up to 24 hours to get you home at the completion of your trip. They don't have to pay you any more than scheduled or actual value for that particular trip, even though you effectively lost a day off. This is just one small example.

Some other details of our contract really are not too stellar.

1/2 pay for DH's (We typically dead-head all over the country)
No minimum day (This is especially important when you are out 3-5 day NBA trip and you only credit 8 hours)
No defined rest, per Part 121 supplemental rules
24 hour, 6 day a week reserve periods
65 hour guarantee
Minimum 10 days off
No company match 401k contributions
Almost 6 months of every year are blocked so that you cannot bid vacation during those times (Mostly during the summer)
Expensive health care coverage - I guess like any company nowadays
Per diem only during training (Training is defined from the point you begin ground school until you finish OE - Some newer pilots took up to 2 1/2 months to finish OE)

This isn't a "train-to-proficiency" company. Most pilots refer to proficiency checks as "PC by firing squad". The chief pilot acts in a dual capacity as chief pilot and check airman around here. (Personally, I feel that it's a conflict of interest, but that's just me).

We are attempting to get a new contract in place. There is speculation that we may be released for possible strike around May, but who knows... :rolleyes:

If you have a choice, go somewhere else, I would highly recommend you explore those options. If you want to upgrade, it's sitting anywhere from a year up to 7 years depending on base.

If you want some other opinions, I think thedude worked there also... You might be able to PM him for some more info...

The biggest thing is "BUYER BEWARE"....

Hope this helps.

Who negotiated your contract, Dean? If so, he must want a new boat. Guess you need to be an ex-laker to get that one. Just kiddin Dean. ;)

the 1st one was negotiated in '02,while the industry was collapsing around us, ALPA national said that was probably the best deal we were going to get in that environment, things are a bit rosier now, so hope springs eternal this time around.

This guy is telling you how it is at Champion and to tell the truth he sugar coated it. Champion sucks plain and simple..........Ex Champion Pilot

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back