Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I Don't Get It

According to everyone, the wing "fell off."

What I don't understand is that if the wing fell off, why didn't the aircraft spiral? It looked like she went down in a wings level attitude. Doesn't make sense to me...

Your thoughts??

Steveair said:

What I don't understand is that if the wing fell off, why didn't the aircraft spiral? It looked like she went down in a wings level attitude. Doesn't make sense to me...

Your thoughts??

Deleted by me, because of stupidity on my part.

AK

Last edited:
Steveair said:

Your thoughts??

Answer:

Because the weight of the Bahamians plus their christmas shopping bags added stability to the plane as it headed back toward Earth. Whole lotta weight on that airplane, hurricane force winds couldn't get it to spiral

avbug said:
Yes, I'd say it probably does...but it also makes for some bragging rights. And it dates you.

The airplane really was not that old and neither was I at the time thank you,

at the time ;)

Okay, how about bragging rights. I don't know too many folks these days who have comet time. It's okay to be old if you can brag about it, right?

Old pilots, bold pilots...and very few comet pilots.

I don't get to poke fun on an age-related basis, very often. Were the taxiway lights still using kerosine then? (kidding).

avbug said:
That explains a lot.

But it doesn't address the thread topic which you started. How's that blood pressure?

Blood pressure is fine. Thanks for asking, and for your concern. And what would you like to know about the thread topic I started?

As far as the masonry comment, there are those that know and those that think they know, and the gap is usually very wide. Not saying which side you are on, but that is usually the way it works.

AK:beer:

Last edited:
avbug said:
Okay, how about bragging rights. I don't know too many folks these days who have comet time. It's okay to be old if you can brag about it, right?

Old pilots, bold pilots...and very few comet pilots.

I don't get to poke fun on an age-related basis, very often. Were the taxiway lights still using kerosine then? (kidding).

No, but I do remember a lighted airway that ran from around Dagget to Las Vegas. I think they decommissioned it sometime around 1962.

Steveair said:

Your thoughts??
think about it?

You're standing with your arms sticking straight out and on each arm, you have three cooters. You're balanced and stable, life is good and you're a happy guy.

So for the sake of argument, once again, you've got three cooters on each arm and the three cooters on your right arm jump off. What are you going to do to maintian your balance? Compensate, right?

When the wing left the plane, they did just like anyone else would do, they compensated for the roll by moving the yoke. I'd also bet that they used the rudder to help keep the plane under control as well.

In your question on spiriling, you'd have to assume that the pilots were left with absolutely no control what so ever over the aircraft.

If a plane rolls right, you naturally put in inputs to keep it from happening...a natural reaction for experienced pilots. Those inputs could include using the ailerons (or what's left of your ailerons), the rudder and reducing power on the operating engine.

Latest resources

Back