• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI's: Do you use NOS or JEPP plates?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you are a CFI, you should be able to deduct the cost of the Jepps and any other supplies from your small, but still very taxable income.

and I didn't say this: Collect receipts for cash purchases for supplies by your students after they don't need them anymore (for returns, etc.) What do you do with those receipts is your business, not mine. :)

You could also buy things like a clipboard, etc., and keep them and sell them at cost to your student instead of making them visit the pilot shop. Now you'll have legit receipts for items you bought for your job.

hmmm...can you deduct time for currency reasons?

Say you've got your MEI and you're doing a lot of single instruction so your 90 days runs out on the twin...can you deduct the cost of the twin as an MEI expense?

-mini

I use the government charts because I can't afford Jepp, and if I find myself flying to an area I don't have charts for, most FBOs/pilot shops have government charts that I can get and have ready to use the day of the flight. I don't see that alot with Jepps, but others may have different experiences with that.

Screw Jepps

Until I have someone else that is paying for and revising my Jepps for me, I'm sticking to NACO. It's the same information, the new format is very similar to Jepp, there are no updates, and they cost like a thousand dollars less per year or something. I don't know why you'd fly with them just becuase that's what the airlines use- they're not THAT different that it would be impossible to learn one format after using the other. Besides, why not just get a couple outdated plates to study from while using NACO for your regular flying. That way you get steady practice with both without breaking the bank and driving yourself up the wall with updates.

-Milehigh

I like the jepps because of the blowups for LAX PSP SAN SFO you get the idea.... Other then that my FBO doesn't have much, and most of the time when I go flying I dont know where im going next. So the jepps help in that area. But most of the time I find myself using the NOS low enroute, and the jepp plates.

I'm sticking with Jepps, at least for my primary flying area. And the reason for that is not that the airlines use Jepp (although the airlines and I may be using them for the same reason.)

The essence of a good approach plate is that information can be deciphered from it at a glance, because the time spent looking at a plate is time that one is not spending looking at the guages in IMC and looking for traffic and VMC. And the less time spent looking at the guages means that the likelyhood of an unusual attitude is increased.

In my opinion, Jepps are much easier to read by just glancing at them. For example, they are printed on white paper, which provides for higher contrast between print and page. The procedure track is printed in bold, which is much easier to see than the NACO's normally wieghted lines. And finally, the missed approach icons that Jepp uses makes getting the missed approach procedure down much easier.

Now, I suppose none of this applies if you use an autopilot, but I don't have that luxury at the moment.

And like I said earlier, NACOs will do in a pinch, but Jepps increase the safety margin.

-Goose

Jepps, It's what the airlines use and question you on while at the interview, so it only makes sense. Plus they are simply much better.

Latest resources

Back