• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFI's: Do you use NOS or JEPP plates?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I learned on Jepps. But simply because of cost, I now use NACO charts. They all give the same information. I think it's just a matter of personal preference.

Flyin Tony said:
I like the jepps because of the blowups for LAX PSP SAN SFO you get the idea....

NACO has that too, they're called Area Charts A-1 and A-2. A-1/2 provides coverage for San Fran, LA, Denver, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Kansas City, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Atlanta, Jacksonville and Miami.

L-28 is printed on a similar scale and covers the Washington to Boston corridor.

NACOs are printed on better paper than that cheap junk that Jepp tries to sell you too.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/catalog/charts/ifr/enrt_low

-Milehigh.

I used Jepp's while instructing, mainly because that is what all the other instructors at my school were using, keeps things consistent with the students. However, when teaching instrument ground school, I would use the NOS plates since that is what the students will see on their instrument written test. After that, I didn't care what they would use. Now I use NOS provided to me by the company.

Instrument charts and plates

I used both government and Jepp, but preferred Jepp plates. For enroute, though, I liked Government better because I found them easier to read.

Most airlines use Jepps, but, several years ago, Mesa supplied its pilots with Government, probably because it was cheaper. I don't know if that has changed in the Frank O. (intentional) administration.

I use Nos because If I need toilet paper I use the leftover jepps.

You guys don't know anything about paper. NACOs are printed on newsprint, which is fairly inexpensive. Jepps are printed on vellum, which is used for technical drawings. And now that I think of it, vellum is fairly expensive, so that may explain some of the cost disparity between the two formats.

-Goose

Last edited:
Jepp is the way to go

I use Jepp one good reason, you dont have to hunt around in the plates for what your looking for such as T/O mins , and alternates. Also the airport diagrams are really good. Plus they give you LASO distance unlike the NOS plates. I think the low enroute charts are small and dont have to unfold it taking up the cockpit.

Jester119 said:
I use Jepp one good reason, you dont have to hunt around in the plates for what your looking for such as T/O mins , and alternates. Also the airport diagrams are really good. Plus they give you LASO distance unlike the NOS plates. I think the low enroute charts are small and dont have to unfold it taking up the cockpit.

I too prefer being able to flip to an airport and see the DPs, STARS, IAPs, diagram, minimums, etc. all right there.

Also, love the enroute charts. They're set up to be folded over all sorts of directions with those little tabs at the top it's easy to find where you're going next. I wish they made a "sectional" chart like that. These sectionals/TACs/NOS Low charts are HUGE. In a little plane (152/172) it makes a big difference.

If the NOS had the same format in that respect (not such gigantic charts and all of an airports relevant charts in the same spot) I'd use them without a second thought.

-mini

*edit*
I noticed the DOD (military) plate book was actually printed on white paper. Any particular reasons for that? The plates inside looked just like the regular NOS ones that I can buy. Just curious...

Q service

falcon20driver said:
Jepps suck, to many revisions. Most freightdogs use NOS, they have the same info and no yellow envelopes come in the mail every 2 weeks.
The armed forces use NOS, good enough for the Marine Corps, good enough for me.

For Jepps, there is something called "Q Service", which is an update tab received periodically that you put on a book that you carry along with Jepps. You assume your Jepps are current unless they appear on the index of the last tab and if so replace it only for the pertinent flight. After receiving 10 tabs, then you replace the whole set.

We have to carry the whole US and Latin America on the airplane. So for two pilots, we have to copy approach plates from flight to flight. It would be impossible for both to carry our own( when is EFB coming?). The NOS are just not as convinient. There was a time that my job provided only NOS so I learned both.
I would suggest that any pilots out there learn both ways. There are interesting things about each of the publications. If you are an instructor, you should learn both and teach whichever one would be more convinient or prudent for your students.

Latest resources

Back