Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BoDEAN

Cabo Wabo Express
I've used both in the past, and now its time to get back in to some heavy instrument flying. Wondering what a lot of the users on the board use.
For a specific state, I think JEPP wants around $120 / yr subscription.
If you spend money every year on NOS plates/charts, I think you end up paying maybe $60/yr. So NOS is basically have the price of the JEPP.

BoDEAN said:
I've used both in the past, and now its time to get back in to some heavy instrument flying. Wondering what a lot of the users on the board use.
For a specific state, I think JEPP wants around $120 / yr subscription.
If you spend money every year on NOS plates/charts, I think you end up paying maybe $60/yr. So NOS is basically have the price of the JEPP.

I have always used Jepp. I think they are easier to read. Plus most airlines that I know of use Jepp. Might as well get used to them now. Have fun with the Instrument flying. Definitly the funnest to teach i think. CYA

Revisions do suck, But it doesnt take very long to update them. To each his own i guess.

Jepps, easy call. The revisions take very little time as previously mentioned in the above post.

3 5 0

I too prefer the Jepps...don't really care for the NOS except...

When I'm only doing one freaking instrument flight for the rest of my training and I need every freaking plate to shoot an ILS, BC, and VOR-A...I'm buying the NOS plates...

$4 or $54...

If I'm doing lots of fllying though, the Jepps are my choice...

-mini

Nos are cheaper, but the airlines use Jepps. So whats a guy to do?

I have Jepps for my home state, and NOS for everywhere else. So I use both and stay proficient in using both. The only reason I use the NOS is to protect my wallet.

The only reason I use Jepps is b/c the airlines use them.

Jepps for my primary flying area, and NOS (now called NACO, I believe) for neighboring states. I greatly prefer Jepps, but NACOs do the trick in a pinch. I've got to reach some sort of cost-sensitive equilibrium somewhere anyway.

Hopefully, I'll get a job where the company buys me all Jepps.

-Goose

The Jepps are legal to use and the PTS does not say which plates you need. I suppose you could even have a textual description of the approaches.

Patmack18 said:
NOS... Jepps are a waste of your own money. Plus if a student walks into an instrument check ride, the examiner is at full liberty to make them use NOS plates.

DOD plates are the best though... there free for us and have tons of info NOS and Jepp don't!

I used Jepps all the way through civ flight training up to CFII. Since I started military training, I've used NOS/DoD and haven't noticed a big difference.

As a CFI, I don't think Jepps are worth the extra $$$, especially since you are getting paid next to zero.

Patmack - LOVE the avatar. You need to put CAFB on that map as well!

Latest resources

Back