• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CFII Before CFI ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A CFI - IA only can only teach instruments in a simulator. He/She cannot conduct any flight training in an aircraft.

I know it is being done - and gets blessed by DE's and the FAA, because it used to be that way. That regulation above did not exist until relatively recently, and some of those old dogs just cannot get the change.

But anybody can read the reg and see what it means.

Nosehair: With all due respect, this just can not be. I know of several CFI-IA only instructors who teach instrument students in both single and multiengine airplanes. As long as they are rated in those types of airplanes on their pilot certificate then it's OK. These instructors recommend students for their IRA tests and when they use IACRA the computer accepts this. The examiners pass these students and all the paper work goes through without a hitch. So are you saying this is all wrong? What is your reference for this if that is true?

My only point is that physicall saying everytime "Im a CFIASEL" is conversationally exhaustive.Cheers!

Look there is no such thing as a CFIASEL either. There is a CFIASE but no land or sea. And again, is a CFI-G a CFI? Of course he his. Is a CFIRH a CFI? Is a CFIRG a CFI? Is a CFIIA a CFI? All of these are CFI's. While you and your friends may all think of a CFI as a CFIASE and that everyone thinks this, that's just because they are all wrong and its a misnomer. Just like everyone calling a "Flight Review" a "Bi-Annual flight review. Of course that is a misnomer too, because it is a Biennial Flight Review. Bi-Annual means twice a year and Biennial means every two years. So just because all your friends call it a Biannual that doesn't make it correct. And just as you think a CFI is a CFIASE, that is just not correct. A CFI is a Certified Flight Instructor and that is all. And all seven CFI’s are CFI’s too.

What is your reference for this if that is true?
61.195 Flight Instructor Limitations and Qualifications.
(b) Aircraft Ratings. A flight instructor may not conduct flight training in any aircraft for which the flight instructor does not hold:
(1) A pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate with the applicable category and class rating.

As I posted in my orginal post; the FAR itself in black-and-white. Do you not see it? And did I not say that I know this reg is being broken all over the place because DE's and even FSDO's have not caught up with this change in regulation. There may be a legal opinion that contradicts this Flight Instructor Limitation, but I haven't seen it yet.

61.195 Flight Instructor Limitations and Qualifications.
(b) Aircraft Ratings. A flight instructor may not conduct flight training in any aircraft for which the flight instructor does not hold:
(1) A pilot certificate and flight instructor certificate with the applicable category and class rating.

As I posted in my orginal post; the FAR itself in black-and-white. Do you not see it? And did I not say that I know this reg is being broken all over the place because DE's and even FSDO's have not caught up with this change in regulation. There may be a legal opinion that contradicts this Flight Instructor Limitation, but I haven't seen it yet.
As you know Part 61 was re-written a few years ago and what followed were hundreds of FOQA's on this section. So many that the section is going to rewritten again, or so I hear. There has never been a section of the regulations that has ever had so much confusion that there were so many questions on it. So I blame the fact that the regulation was written wrong and it was not its intention to stop a CFI-IA from teaching instrument in an airplane. While it does appear that what you say it does say, the fact remains that no Office anywhere (that I know of) is interpreting it that way, including the Certification branch that wrote the IACRA program.

including the Certification branch that wrote the IACRA program.
Well, the certification branch won't catch it, because you can get a CFI-IA only. That doesn't stop them from certifying you that way - it is up to the CFI to comply with his/her limitations.

And, as you know, no ASI is going after this little irregularity, but it may rear up to bite someone who is doing actual in-flight instruction without a category/class rating on his/her CFI certificate, if some accident happens.

I only point this out to make the point that there are mis-interpretations to FAA regs that even the FAA mis-interprets.

Who get's the CFI-IA only anyway?

Get both. Problem solved. There are many more private students than instrument students anyhow.

Look there is no such thing as a CFIASEL either. There is a CFIASE but no land or sea. And again, is a CFI-G a CFI? Of course he his. Is a CFIRH a CFI? Is a CFIRG a CFI? Is a CFIIA a CFI? All of these are CFI's. While you and your friends may all think of a CFI as a CFIASE and that everyone thinks this, that's just because they are all wrong and its a misnomer. Just like everyone calling a "Flight Review" a "Bi-Annual flight review. Of course that is a misnomer too, because it is a Biennial Flight Review. Bi-Annual means twice a year and Biennial means every two years. So just because all your friends call it a Biannual that doesn't make it correct. And just as you think a CFI is a CFIASE, that is just not correct. A CFI is a Certified Flight Instructor and that is all. And all seven CFI’s are CFI’s too.

Ok, I was trying to make the point, for those who are so caught up on being politically correct about how you identify yourself, that saying "Hi, I'm a CFI" will, for the most part, in most cases, identify you as a flight instructor in your typical single engine land aircraft. That's all. IMHO, it's getting awfully anal to say anything beyond that.

Last edited:
Who get's the CFI-IA only anyway?

Get both. Problem solved. There are many more private students than instrument students anyhow.

Absolutely! Plus, you take your private student right to their Instrument. If everything went well between the two of you in Primary, then they'll most likely stay with you, generating more business for you as an Instuctor. The other way, your waiting for an instrument student to come along and most will stay with their initial instructor. Really limiting yourself that way.

Latest resources

Back