• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cfi renwal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
...to me driving to the FSDO is easier than scanning documents lol. I need to learn how to do that someday.

You can always renew it for free at the FSDO, just bring in the old certificate, a gov. issued photo ID, completion paperwork and an 8710 form. They will sign you a temp on the spot. I believe most FSDO's now want call prior to coming down as they are beefing up security.

Absolutely NOT true. Call your local FSDO to find out specific details on what he's saying above.

Flyers the last 4 times and Jeppesen once before that. Both were OK. Like taking cough syrup but some interesting reads and reviews.

You can always renew it for free at the FSDO, just bring in the old certificate, a gov. issued photo ID, completion paperwork and an 8710 form. They will sign you a temp on the spot. I believe most FSDO's now want call prior to coming down as they are beefing up security.

Try that in San Antonio sometime. They'll laugh you out the door.

The rules on that got tightened way up. If you work for an Air Carrier (121, 125, 135) sometimes the POI will renew it for ya....but just walking into a FSDO? Nope.

King Schools now has an online CFI renewal. Quick and painless. Better than Gleim. Used their certificate processing which works via IACRA. Got my temp certificate emailed to me within a day of completion. For those who dislike John and/or Martha, you only have to watch a short video with them in it. The course is similar to Gleim, 15-30 T/F's, read a lesson and take a short test, repeat for 8 or 10 lessons. Much easier than all the others and I'd tried them all.

Try that in San Antonio sometime. They'll laugh you out the door.

The rules on that got tightened way up. If you work for an Air Carrier (121, 125, 135) sometimes the POI will renew it for ya....but just walking into a FSDO? Nope.

Why wouldn't they?

In Denver, when you've completed the firc you bring them the paperwork and you leave with your temporary.

Maybe I misunderstood the issue. If you walk into the FSDO with the FIRC completion document that's no problem. But just walking in with an 8710 and asking for a renewal is a non-starter unless it is your POI.

I apologize if I read the situation incorrectly.

Edit in: I did read it wrong. Ncherches specifically said "completion paperwork"-- my mistake. My apologies.

Last edited:
I used Gleim and Jepp in the past. This year I went to an Aviation Seminars weekend class. All are painful...

Latest resources

Back