CFI renewel

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
na265 said:
Tanker, good news, it is only $99.00 now. So much for that tax deduction.

I think it was $99 before, but there is an option for electronic renewal through the FAA instead of bringing the paperwork to the FSDO to renew, which costs $20 or so extra. The nearest FSDO was about 2 hours away from me, so I just paid the $20 extra.

I'll add a bit more on this. Called the local FSDO, in Houston, they said they only do CFI renewals on the first Friday of every month. It seems they are way understaffed. I will need to call a DE, and pay a fee, to get renewed. Maybe I'll have to do the on-line deal like you did Tanker.

I guess nothing is free any more.

I just did the American Flyers one, again. I have to tell you, this pay once for life thing is ok.. Third renewal for me from them, and it is a pain until I remember I am not paying for it anymore.
I would recommend it just for that alone.

na265 said:
I'll add a bit more on this. Called the local FSDO, in Houston, they said they only do CFI renewals on the first Friday of every month. It seems they are way understaffed. I will need to call a DE, and pay a fee, to get renewed. Maybe I'll have to do the on-line deal like you did Tanker.

I guess nothing is free any more.

Hey na, if you can get it done in SAT quicker and can get up here, call me and I'll give you a ride to the FSDO.

Which is better?

Which way to renew is the best in everyone's opinion? Gleim, American Flyers, weekend course or other?

When you finish the American Flyers thing you print out a certificate, take it to any FSDO and they issue a temp right there. A/F will even do that for you for an additional $40.00 bucks or so.
And as I have said before,, pay once and it is free for life. So no reason in the world to let it expire. 16 or so hours in front of the computer once every 24 months isn't all that bad, you waste more time here reading my dribble!

You all must know that all you have to do is go to your local FSDO and show proof of the training you've provided and they will renew it for free, right? Takes all of five minutes...

Latest resources

Back