CFI renewel

na265

Total Time
Just finished it with Gleim. Not to bad, it was easier than American Flyers. Can't believe this is the 8th time I've renewed.

BLing

Total Time
I cant wait until I dont have to be a CFI anymore! I take that back, I cant wait until I dont have use my CFI as a stepping stone!

JAFI

Total Time
8000+
BLing said:
I cant wait until I dont have to be a CFI anymore! I take that back, I cant wait until I dont have use my CFI as a stepping stone!

And people say no one has a professional attitude any more. BLing, you are a credit to........ well something other than teaching.

JAFI

na265

Total Time
Ya know BLing, I was there at one time too. Enjoy the time you CFI. The guys, or girls, that you work with will be friends and contacts for life. Do I miss instructing? some times. I enjoyed having a student who may have never flown in their life, and take them through to getting a PPL. That was cool.

check6

Total Time
--
na265 said:
Can't believe this is the 8th time I've renewed.

Kudos to renewing. I have an FO friend who needs to renew in January, but he says he won't because he doesn't want to. Why would anyone not want to renew their certificate, even if they don't teach actively? It shows status and I've heard the CFI practical is the hardest test to pass these days.

Once again, goojob.

check6

kaj837

Total Time
lots
If you have a CFI don't ever be foolish enough to let it expire. I did when I retired and thought I would never instruct again. Big mistake!! Moved to a new location, a neighborhood flying club was formed, and needed a CFI. Reinstatement is a pain, and expensive. BTW, I have renewd now a couple of times with American Flyers, and prefer them to Gleim.

na265

Total Time
Thanks Check6, It was a tough check ride, I don't want to do it again. All you have to do these days to renew is a course on the net. It is time consuming, but, not that bad.

I did American Flyers course last time. I started with them this time and just could not stand sitting in front of the computer checking my time till the next stage test. My opinon, for what that is worth, the Gleim was easier. The T/F questions got me ready for the test, and I printed off the study material for refrence.

TankerDriver

Total Time
I'm not sure why anyone would let theirs expire either. It was the hardest checkride I've gone through, Air Force UPT included. I had a 4 1/2 hour oral and 3 hours in the airplane, all in one day. I've done the Gleim thing once and for $120, it's well worth it. I'll be doing it next Fall again. You never know when you'll need it again. CFI'ing is not the greatest flying job in the world, but it's flying and keeps you current ( and pays the bills, somewhat ).

na265

Total Time
Tanker, good news, it is only $99.00 now. So much for that tax deduction.

TankerDriver

Total Time
na265 said:
Tanker, good news, it is only $99.00 now. So much for that tax deduction.

I think it was $99 before, but there is an option for electronic renewal through the FAA instead of bringing the paperwork to the FSDO to renew, which costs $20 or so extra. The nearest FSDO was about 2 hours away from me, so I just paid the $20 extra.

na265

Total Time
I'll add a bit more on this. Called the local FSDO, in Houston, they said they only do CFI renewals on the first Friday of every month. It seems they are way understaffed. I will need to call a DE, and pay a fee, to get renewed. Maybe I'll have to do the on-line deal like you did Tanker.

I guess nothing is free any more.

Hung Start

Just the cleanup guy
Total Time
enough
I just did the American Flyers one, again. I have to tell you, this pay once for life thing is ok.. Third renewal for me from them, and it is a pain until I remember I am not paying for it anymore.
I would recommend it just for that alone.

lowlycfi

Total Time
-
na265 said:
I'll add a bit more on this. Called the local FSDO, in Houston, they said they only do CFI renewals on the first Friday of every month. It seems they are way understaffed. I will need to call a DE, and pay a fee, to get renewed. Maybe I'll have to do the on-line deal like you did Tanker.

I guess nothing is free any more.

Hey na, if you can get it done in SAT quicker and can get up here, call me and I'll give you a ride to the FSDO.

WillFlyFoCookie

On Wisconsin
Total Time
Which is better?

Which way to renew is the best in everyone's opinion? Gleim, American Flyers, weekend course or other?

Hung Start

Just the cleanup guy
Total Time
enough
When you finish the American Flyers thing you print out a certificate, take it to any FSDO and they issue a temp right there. A/F will even do that for you for an additional $40.00 bucks or so.
And as I have said before,, pay once and it is free for life. So no reason in the world to let it expire. 16 or so hours in front of the computer once every 24 months isn't all that bad, you waste more time here reading my dribble!

CFIPilot

Total Time
You all must know that all you have to do is go to your local FSDO and show proof of the training you've provided and they will renew it for free, right? Takes all of five minutes...