• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Centurion Cargo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do you want to be a professional pilot? (not weekend warriors) If you can't answer that question, or if it's for the prestige and money then I believe you are in for the world of hurt and misery, and a 9-5 cubicle would be more to their liking.

Well said.

The non-sced world is hard work, regardless of which firm ya work for.

I did non-sced for 12 years, the long hauls, the old crappy India birds, the whole nine yards.
Then I went to a Major and though I died and went to Disney Land. Then I got furloughed after 9/11 and went back to non-sced heavy freight.
Still here and reading this stuff.

I agree with Metrodriver and a few other posters: Don't talk loud, don't count yer chickens, don't ******************** on other non-sced guys and keep a low profile in this world: The more ya talk aroud here, the less ya know.

Like I said, i have been able to get past the pile of resume with the help of friends. It is friends that make my flying all the more enjoyable!

Fogrunner: I wished you would keep peoples names or initials of public boards like this. If you feel that personal, send a pm. I think you owe an apology. Hit the edit key and remove them.

Das Air lost the rights to europe because they pissed off the Ducth CAA after returning with an aircraft that was still broken after an inspection and gave the CAA some lip about it. Das Air is confident that they will get their rights back soon. I've been on a Gemini flight that has been grounded by authorities till it got fixed. So Das Air is not alone in this. Shortly after this incident the lease company that owned four of their airplanes got sold to or by D Trump and somehow the new owner broke the lease and sold the aircraft. One of them now flies for Arrow.

Only one of our planes is flying DHL, the one in Brussels. Both planes out of Oostende are purely Das Air flights. Das Air is a lot bigger player than you think. They have a lot of lucrative belly capacity to / from various parts of the world, including the US. The parent company ownes more airlines than just Das Air, and soon the Das Air fleet will be registered in Britain, just like MK Airlines and a few others that are now registered in cheaper places.

Avient: was looking for 5 DC10's last year. 24 hr duty days: don't look further than Amerijet or Centurion. Thanks to our contract we are limited to 16.
And for that I am thankful for a contract (eventhough it should be a FAR, like on the MD11), everybody's safety is at stake here, including yours and your family's. Talking about contract, I think there was a lot more possible pay wise. I just think that scare tactics, bribes and soon to be retirees who didn't want to wait any longer resulted in a 51% pass

Furloughs: I've been through two already. One called me back last summer so I could work for them the last quarter and then to be furloughed AGAIN! I know how it feels to be junior and a fleet is being parked. I really hope it won't happen to the new class, but those guys definately have to keep it in the back of their mind.

The reasons I didn't go to the 11 were personal, just awful bad timing combined with some other things.

Oh yeah: I just read: Aeroflot has signed a contract to lease 6 MD11's to supplement their DC10 cargo operation. I bet that were 6 planes Gemini was looking at........

Now mister fogrunner: hit the edit key on your post and remove those initials

Strawman

I've heard (i.e. rumor, not facts) around the western U that the owner of Cielos bought Centurion for the sole purpose of farming out their flying to Cielos; effectively circumventing cabotage laws. Same with MTA, basically just for freight going to/from brazil. Supposedly they just keep one or two -10s flying on Centurions Cert. to keep it alive.

Judging from how much cielos pays they their miami "based" Crews and how much they spend on mx (not) they'd save a bundle...

Any takes on this?

Cielos and Centurion have had the same owner for a long time. Cielos now has unrestricted access to the US as long as they are subchartered by Centurion. Same as LAN does. They own subsidiary airlines in several countries (Florida West in the US) with only one airplane each just to get unlimited access to those countries. Look around the Eastern U and look at all the 767-300's. All N-numbers end at LA

Cielos and Centurion have had the same owner for a long time. Cielos now has unrestricted access to the US as long as they are subchartered by Centurion. Same as LAN does. They own subsidiary airlines in several countries (Florida West in the US) with only one airplane each just to get unlimited access to those countries.

LAN is using a US Airline with US crews for flights requiring such.

Centurion is using a peruvian airline with peruvian crews for those flights.

I fail to see how that's the same.

Besides, Florida West operates I think two or three airplanes, MAS has two and ABSA has two as well.

FWL has one plane. There is a LAN plane that has a note on the nose gear doors "operated for Florida West Airlines". There are a host of airlines that are being chartered by LAN and operate under their own call sign or the FWL call sign. So by using a FWL call sign LAN can use foreign crews to move the cargo. There is just so much cargo that they still need outside help (and when times are weak they can dump the help and do the job with their own fleet).
Quite a few countries in S. America want to protect their own industry from LAN and put restrictions in place. To circumvent that problem LAN will set up subsidiaries with local ownership (ABSA, MAS, FWL etc)

True, I have flown hundreds of LAN flights using either the Florida West call sign, or our own.

Did the same years ago for a firm called Fast Air, they were LAN's cargo operation out of Santiago.

I ask everyone this; In those moments when you break out of an overcast or when you shove the power levers forward or when you have the plane in your hands and not the autopilot's how many of you are thinking:
- God my pay sucks,
-My company sucks
-God, i have so much money,
-I sure did look cool walking through the terminal today in my full uniform

I can tell you definitively that at Tradewinds, when you have turned off the autopilot to hand-fly the last portion of the ILS, and you lose both flight directors so you are flying a raw data approach because you can't get an FD to re-engage (YET AGAIN), and the thrust levers are more than a handle width apart to keep the same N1, and you have written up those problems and so many others MULTIPLE times and they STILL are not fixed (YET AGAIN!)....

Then I can tell from personal experience that yes, you are definitely saying "My company sucks." Actually you are usually shouting it. Been there.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back