• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Central Air Southwest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, I don't know what they're doing now, but when I was there a year ago (give or take) we had a run out of KC (MKC is the company base, BTW) that went into STL at night. It was only a quick turn- drop and head to ICT. I worked many, many, MANY nights on Dispatch...it was an un-paid "priviledge" :rolleyes:...and I remember logging a few flights that went through CPS at night, but I don't recall where they came from. Things change so often in the freight world, so I wouldn't have any idea what routes thru CPS they have now. :)

The Commander based in CPS goes to Midway every night. We swap a/c with that run now and then goin' back to Grand Rapids.

I flew for them a number of years ago. Great experience. I went from flying in SoCal (little IFR) to flying in the snow, near thunderstorms and lots of icing conditions.
The anti-ice on their planes is second to none (exept jets). It will make a great instrument single pilot out of you for sure.

Nah, not BQ. :) Heard he went to OMA w/Baron- C208. I flew with him once on during my training week. Good guy...if you can survive the first couple of legs with him! :D

Oh, and I never saw an extra dime while working dispatch. Probably because it was during the first 6 months?? Either way, seems like we should've gotten paid for working it, whether on probation or not.

I did a week or 2 of BQing, thats true, he was cool after the first night, taught me a lot considering I had never flown a twin solo until my 1st night at GRR in the snow and ice.
Outbased rules at CAS, no managment to deal with at all, just pick up your check every other monday from the mailbox.

BQ, that guy was a something else. I wonder if he still has that beard going? I only flew with him once and he left a lasting impression. That was the first time I had ever seen anyone sleep in the co-pilots seat and the first time I had head "one taco to go." Man was I green! He served his purpose at Central very very well, with his tough love (to use a "Townerism") He was hired at CASW around the same time that one of my best firends was. My best firend now has 5 types, and is a captain at Net Jets. At the time BQ was still at central. I remember wondering, why is this guy not moving on? I'm glad to hear he moved on. I bet hes getting paid pretty in that Caravan.

And yes, outbases do rule as CASW, but the MX is a little less impressive at the outbases. Especially if you do not tie into the system at all. But one thing I have learned is that if you are flying a broken plane only one person can take the blame, and that is you. Central will fix anything if you nag enough about it, just like every 135 in the world. And just like anywhere else you have to know who to take your problems too. Anyone that has flown for Central knows who they could do that with and who they couldn't.

"Get your head out of you bo bo" -JT
(Still the most effective seven, or eight words I have ever heard in aviation) Its too bad not everyone is capable of doing it!

Last edited:
I worked at Central Air for about as short of period as you could possibly work there, not because it wasn't an "alright" place to work, but because as soon as I got a job there, I got called by places that would allow me to actually pay my bills. I absolutely could not live on $1500/month, plus I commuted to my base so actually was paying for 2 places, sort of.

I agree, the owner was outstanding, very personable, stand up guy. There was some other Habib that worked there that straight told me to go one night, when waiting for a line to clear was undoubtedly the best thing to do, so when people say they don't pressure you, I guess I can't agree. I was experienced at night cargo when it happened, and it was sort of the straw that broke the camels back.

Having been trained by some quality places, if you are a 1200 hour CFI wonder going there, god help you if your run is difficult and the weather is bad. Their training is short, if you don't have the skills prior to coming, you could be in trouble.

Overall, looking back, it was fun (I had dead of the winter Northern route mind you), but I still can't figure out why I didn't join the military earlier.

Latest resources

Back