• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Cathy Pacific questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CX's management style is 100% reactive. When they're short of experienced crew, they'll hire DEFO's (maybe even DEC's). It's happened more than a few times in my 20+ years here.

They won't remove the reference to DEFO on the website until the day before they decide they need DEFO's...

As of right now, no DE hiring at all. We have expanded the intl cadet scheme, and expect to take between 100-150 pilots a year this way. We have significant aircraft ordered, but many don't start arriving for another 5 years. We have 18 more -300ER and 10 747-800F, but that is pretty much it until the 350s start arriving. Also, it's difficult to know how many are for replacements, as that changes every week. Good news is, 80 capts and 130 JFO upgrades next year, so at least some movement again.

box

Will the 747-800Fs essentially replace the current crop of 744Fs? Will US-based pilots be able to bid the new freighters or are most US-based pilots getting bumped to the 777? Who will likely get to bid the 747-800Fs?

The -800Fs' are replacements for the BCFs' (which will be sold off or incorporated into existing JVs')

The US based F drivers, given the option to transfer to the pax fleet after a 4 year fleet freeze, will be allowed to bid the 777 (or A350) and/or HKG domicile, but many will be refused due to lack of availability of slots on the pax fleets or HKG base slots.

The -800Fs' will be deployed system wide, not just to the US&A routes, so all F drivers will be CCQ onto the -800F.

Think, mate. Put your brain into gear before you start your PC.

I have EVERY airbus from the A310 to the A340-600 on my licence, "typed". PIC. Lots and lots of hours. I speak from experience. Why on earth would I say it was cr@p if I hadn't flown it?

If it makes you feel better...

Hyundai cars are cr@p (yes, I owned one)
HP laptops are cr@p. Ditto.
HP printers are cr@p. Ditto.
Palm pilots are cr@p. Ditto.
GPS' not made by Garmin are cr@p.
If it's not Scottish, it's cr@p.
If it's not DL, it's cr@p. (Thats for General Lee)
If it's not SW, it's cr@p. (Thats for everyone else)
McDonalds are cr@p. Anything.
KFC is cr@p.
JFK is a cr@p airport. (Thats for everyone)

I just couldn't give a cr@p to write more...

Does that make you feel better? See, Im not frog-bashing.

Last edited:
now that is entertaining. If you are ever in MInneapolis, look me up and we will have a beer and lots of laughs thats for sure.

Bump...

I've read this entire thread and have done quite a bit of reading about CX. Would Capt. U. or some other insiders mind to bring this thread back up to date? My obvious questions are if you're hiring and if so are U.S. bases open? Selection process? Thanks in advance.

US bases haven't had a bid in about 3 years.... Hiring like gangbusters for the second officer position. No direct entry first officer positions are being filled but the pool is still maintained.

Latest resources

Back