Cathay Interview... Say what???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

I got an email from Cathay for an intial interview. Totally caught me off guard as I was expecting to hear from them in about a year. Anyone know where to begin, where I can download interview questions, what to expect, etc.?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I have been using a book called Preparing for your Cathy Pacific Interview: The Pilots Guide.. I have been using it to study after I read Handling the Big Jets and am heading to Hong Kong for the 2nd phase at the end of the month, so it can't be that bad of a book... Others will tell you to try pprune.com, which I did and even downloaded all the docs that you can find on it, however this book covers all of that and more...

I did interview #1 in May and Jetblue the next day: they could not have been more different... If you are at all interested in Cathay, trust me on this--- Study, study, study and start yesterday...

Other than Cathay being one of the few "big" airlines hiring, what are the advantages of working there?

I don't know much about the company, so I'm just asking out of curiosity.

Cathay is one of the last "OLD SCHOOL" airlines. They fall under Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department not the FAA.

It is extreamly professional atmosphere, but also somewhat of a squadron mentality. It pays very good, lots of benifits (cash retirement and per diem, great medical plan), good flying, new equipment, well funded, great professional people to fly with, 6 weeks paid vacation a year, and Hong Kong is an outstanding overnight.

They are very concerened with long haul rest issues. If I fly tired, it's my fault, not because I didn't have the chance to sleep long and hard.

The con's: A little anti-americanism (Mostly from Brits and Aussies, but if you don't push the US's agenda on them it's usually pretty tame), Long Haul ain't for everybody, you don't have the job protections that you have in the states (but they have NEVER furloughed), you spend alot of time in ANC as a freighter guy, and you don't bid for trips just your days off.

That's about it.

The pro's out way the cons by far. People are scared about working for an oversees company, but I live in San Diego, fly out of LAX and am home over 17 days a month. I fly with mostly US guys or Candians, don't speak a word of Chinese, and am only accross the pond 4 days a month.

Look at the careers section of www.cathaypacific.com and see for yourself.

Last edited:
Jammin, how likely is it to be LAX based to start? If not, is it possible to bid back to the US?

Very likely you will get LAX. If you get picked up for an FO position you WILL be based in either ANC, NYC, ATL, LAX. ORD I don't think is available now.

As an second officer you will be based out of HKG and can bid for another base after spending some years in HKG.

2nd what Bjammin said

I did Phase 2 at the end of April...invited to HK for an Oct 3 class date for LAX base. It appears that if you select ANC or JFK you may get an earlier class date as those in my interview group did (late Aug).

Good luck.

your_dreamguy said:
I got an email from Cathay for an intial interview. Totally caught me off guard as I was expecting to hear from them in about a year. Anyone know where to begin, where I can download interview questions, what to expect, etc.?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Good luck,

When is your interview and where? I assume by your profile it would be for a SO position? Good luck and let us know how it goes.

PPrune.org is a great site for alot of info regarding HK and CX. You will need to read the following:

Handling the Big Jets
Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators
Preparing for the Cathay Pacific Interview
Ace the technical pilot interview
whatever HR book you choose to prepare.

Again good luck.

Latest resources

Back