Cathay Interview... Say what???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Cathay Interview!

Hey thank you to all for the very informative posts regarding the information on the CK interview! I have an interview coming up next month and am in a pickle. I am going to get furloughed in about 3-4 months. I have a possible job lined up (to protect a paycheck and not lose the room over my head) in the meanwhile, which I may have to sign a training bond for. I am very interested in CK, but must do this since right now it is a guarantee.

what i am wondering is what is the time line from interview to hire? is there just 2 interviews when is the sim ride and if you pass all, then how far out are the class dates? can you postpone a class date for a bit? how would they view this?

thank you all for your help with this, because it is a kind of awkward situation, but nonetheless i want to go to cathay pacific!

B737Dvr said:
Hey thank you to all for the very informative posts regarding the information on the CK interview! I have an interview coming up next month and am in a pickle. I am going to get furloughed in about 3-4 months. I have a possible job lined up (to protect a paycheck and not lose the room over my head) in the meanwhile, which I may have to sign a training bond for. I am very interested in CK, but must do this since right now it is a guarantee.

what i am wondering is what is the time line from interview to hire? is there just 2 interviews when is the sim ride and if you pass all, then how far out are the class dates? can you postpone a class date for a bit? how would they view this?

thank you all for your help with this, because it is a kind of awkward situation, but nonetheless i want to go to cathay pacific!

B737Dvr,
The timeline is usually after you pass your first interview, six weeks later you will go to HKG for the second interview. The second involves the sim and a lot lot more. After you are informed that you were successful at phase two, you can expect a class date about six months later. I was also in a training bond, probably much higher than yours ($48,000), that was prorated over two years. I was told during phase 1 interview that delaying class was possible, but not for two years. It is a life long dream come true to work for Cathay for me, so I scrapped some money together and paid it off. Delaying a class is delaying an opportunity to upgrade and just a month or two as captain would pay the whole thing off anyway. However you go, Cathay requires a good recommendation from your former employer. So I wouldn't run away from your contract.

Good luck with your decision.
BBB

good info BBB

Yes, this is my dilemma. When i go to interview, i guess i am going to have to tell them about my new job and the training bond, will they look negatively upon this? My training bond will only be for 1 year and it will be for 20K, so now im thinking that since my first interview is in mid sept, then i would most likely go to HKG around november ish....(if i pass the 1st, and btw, do they buy you a tix to go there or is it on your own dime?) then if that is the case i should probably get a class date based on your timeline in june of next year which is not bad at all! how long do they take before they call you and let you know you were successful in the 1st and then after the 2nd?
speaking of which what was the 2nd interview process like?
thanks in advance for your help BBBB!

Negatively? I think they would look quite favorably on your situation depending how you approach the situation. You are staying current which CX requires and you are willing to pay off your bond just to be a part of Cathay. What's negative about it. They will ask you if you feel morally obligated to stay longer with your new employer, etc. Think how you would answer.

1st interview is on your own dime second interview is on them, includes per diem at phase 2. A week after the first interview you call them to get your results. Second interview is the same deal. Class date, they will contact you. Everything that you go through at the first and second interview is well documented here: http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153728

Are you sure you have a Cathay interview because you posted earlier CK which is a 737 operator in China? CX is Cathay, no 737s only heavies.

BBB

Yes Cathay!

BBB, yes I am positive that I have an Interview with Cathay Pacific Airways! Isnt their 2 letter ID (CK)?
yes, this interim job isnt set in stone yet, but if it does go there it will be this month....the only reason i am doing this is to protect a paycheck, while the CK process takes time.
Good point about showing them your commitment by paying off a training bond, but I just wonder if they would feel that i couldnt honor theirs....but ultimately i think it just depends on how the overall interview is going....

How involved is the process (phase 2 in HKG)? how many day trip is it realistically? is it a one day deal or several day deal on top of your travel days.

Another question I have is how is commuting accomplished in the US? I live in the NYC area and if i dont get it and get ANC or LAX instead, will i have to move there or can i commute?

Thank again man for taking some time to help me out with my questions....i really appreciate it!

Im curious, for you, what is the best part of CK and what is the worst part of it?

Baby Boeing dvr

Pprune......

Ok, I just got done with Pprune and damn! generally speaking pprune just reaks of all sorts of negativity! I have been on other boards as well and overall that place, no matter what company is being discussed, is just full of &^%$#@!!! there are some tidbits of good objective info, but you need a flak jacket, before going in there! Sounds like some guys got burned, sounds like some guys havent fit in (and are disgruntled) and whatever......so...

questions bbb:

1. what is the deal with the training and or checking dept? are they really old school and you better just shut up and be a good "boy"? is it always check check and how are the examiners and training pilots there?
2. how are the captains that you fly with generally speaking? are there any "skygods" there? are there issues with DEFO's? what is the mentality at cathay city? are you always "on duty" there, or is it a relaxed atmosphere?

basically, can you explain as best as you can what the guys in pprune were talking about and if they are the minority there or a growing faction?

3. what is the deal with the 49 pilots?

thanks man!

B737Dvr said:
BBB, yes I am positive that I have an Interview with Cathay Pacific Airways! Isnt their 2 letter ID (CK)?
yes, this interim job isnt set in stone yet, but if it does go there it will be this month....the only reason i am doing this is to protect a paycheck, while the CK process takes time.
Good point about showing them your commitment by paying off a training bond, but I just wonder if they would feel that i couldnt honor theirs....but ultimately i think it just depends on how the overall interview is going....

How involved is the process (phase 2 in HKG)? how many day trip is it realistically? is it a one day deal or several day deal on top of your travel days.

Another question I have is how is commuting accomplished in the US? I live in the NYC area and if i dont get it and get ANC or LAX instead, will i have to move there or can i commute?

Thank again man for taking some time to help me out with my questions....i really appreciate it!

Im curious, for you, what is the best part of CK and what is the worst part of it?

Baby Boeing dvr

Cathay Pacific's 2-letter IATA identifier is CX.

I know it says they only require 1000TT to get on as a SO, but what kind of times do the SOs usually have when they get picked up???

FYI for anyone that has a Cathay interview - I have seen interview prep books relating to Cathay on Ebay for way cheaper than I had to pay for them.

B737dvr

1. Some people in the training department are very old school. Think old time British flyer type stuff. Very picky, but lots of beer. There are 2 sim checkrides and a line check every year as well as some training sims. BE PREPARED!

2. Captains are all outstanding, better then I could have hoped. A bad apple is rare, maybe one in 50 flights. (I'm a bad apple on 1 in 50 flights.:beer:)

What do you mean issues with DEFO's? I'm a DEFO and have no issues with anybody. If someone has an issue with me I don't know about it. What can happen is SO's with alot of A/C time can be very guarded. They are always on the lookout for someone with more rank, but less time to jump there sh!t, which unfortunatly can happen. I don't fly with SO's much so really don't have much to contribute.

Cathay city during the day is like any office building, be ready to run into senior check captains, chief pilots, all the VP's, and the CEO himeself. Just today I rode up the elevator with the #3 man in the company.
During the night it's time to booze up at the bar. You will see the same people there as well, but there is a definate off the clock feeling.

3. The 49 er's is a very long complex story that continues to this day. It's pretty hard to sumerize it, but things have improved many fold between management and the workers since then, mine and others opinion.

I love it here, the comapny has always had my back personally and has given me many reasons to think this was the BEST choice for me.

Hope this helps, and it is CX! Don't get this wrong.

Latest resources

Back