CASM and outsourcing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

145BOSS

Just to help me wrap my head around outsourcing and also avoid doing any research myself. Does anyone know the CASM for the following aircraft:

Q-400
50-Seat RJ (E-145 or CRJ-200)
70-Seat RJ (EMB or CRJ)
B737-800
B777

Appreciate the help.

CASM is one of those figures that is widely misapplied. The main thing is not to put an RJ in a 777 market and vice versa.

CASM depends on the COSTS.

History has shown that no two operators have the same costs.

Gup

in order to balance casm you have to back out labor and fuel from doc and then insert an average cost for each......without that, casm is meaningless

Too many variables. Another metric I find interesting is how many employees per aircraft. Southwest has one of the lowest, I'm pretty sure. I think around 8. The larger the number, the higher the cost. The larger legacy airlines have a higher employee headcount per aircraft, which is part of the CASM factor.

Just to help me wrap my head around outsourcing

If you do the job for $100 per hour and somebody else will do a equal or in some cases a better job for $50 per hour that is how outsourcing works.

Fundamentally the pilots flying for (pick your favorite regional) crash just as many or less airplanes as their mainline counter parts and get paid substantially less. Equal quality for less pay is what it is all about.

The quality is not even close...what stupid post

Do you really believe the public thinks about the quality when they book their tickets?

It's 2 hours of their life cramped without a "cookie", what do they care?

Just to help me wrap my head around outsourcing and also avoid doing any research myself. Does anyone know the CASM for the following aircraft:

Q-400
50-Seat RJ (E-145 or CRJ-200)
70-Seat RJ (EMB or CRJ)
B737-800
B777

Appreciate the help.

Pages 14-20 should give you a good start

http://www.oliverwyman.com/ow/pdf_files/OW_EN_AAD_PUBL_2011_Airline_Economic_Analysis.pdf

The MIT airline data project (google it) has lots of BTS data nicely organized for airline data geeks.

You have to remember too that a lot of data that you see can't be taken at face value. For example, how many times have you seen guys post here about those "high cost" RJ's and then compare a piece of 737 CASM data to a piece of RJ CASM data and then comment on why airline management would substitute a RJ for a good 'ol 737 that is "cheaper" because it has a lower CASM than the RJ? Of course, 99% of the time the CASM for the 737 is for a longer stage length than that of the RJ, which makes the comparison pretty meaningless. There are lots of examples like that where one has to apply some sort of adjustment to the data in order to make fair comparisons.

The quality is not even close...what stupid post

How do you define "quality"?

Other than the physical size of the airplane and a higher average age of the flight/cabin crew, can Joe Passenger sitting in 13A tell a quantifiable difference between the "quality" of a flight on a mainline aircraft and one on a regional aircraft?

Regional pilots fly the equipment of similar sophistication, in the same weather, into the same airports as legacy pilots.

Given that basic fact, how/why do you think a claim of "equal quality" is "stupid"?

Latest resources

Back