• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Carrying food on the road

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I recommend "CLIF Bars", They're made with organic stuff. I know what you're probably thinking. (these things probably taste horrible) But I'm a pretty picky eater and they are really good. I recommend Carrot Cake, but they come in tons of flavors.

TO FLY CHICAGA:

Go to GNC and get one of there protein mixers. Same as your water bottle but has a insert in it to help break up the protien powder.

StarKist tuna (now in multiple flavors and in lunch kits)
granola bars
Wheat thins
canned fruit that has a pop top (Dole pineapple)
beef jerky
Sandwiches to eat early in the trip (mustard,whole wheat bread, etc)
Snickers Marathon bars (protein fiber minerals and vitamins) $1-$1.50 each and a healthy dessert
Kashi GoLean/Powerbar Harvest bars (protein and fiber) $1-$1.50 each, good for breakfast with orange juice

I'll have to check out the CLIF bars and these GNC drinks.

minitour said:
Stop by GNC and grab a box of MetRx "meal replacement" shakes. You mix them with water or milk....they do replace a meal...drink two of those (breakfast and lunch) and then eat a dinner of some sort and you're good to go.

-mini

You have learned well.;)

that stuff does the trick.

3 5 0

All good ideas but just what size cooler (soft sided) are people using? From the sounds of it, most people are carrying along a cooler the size of a overnight bag!

Thanks

HMM

I buy Met-RX bars online in bulk so I get them for 20 bucks cheaper then I would walking into the store. They are great cause they take care of the munchies/missed meals without putting cr@p into your body. Plus they last forever, so you can toss them in the bag and eat 'em up 20 days later. People tell me they can't stand the taste, but to me the peanut butter ones I eat taste like well peanut butter. Far better then the guys who drag food around for four days in coolers. I got enough sh!t to carry much less my kitchen...

FlyChicaga said:
Are those like Creatine though... where if you don't exercise well while taking them you'll gain lots of fat? I heard this about Creatine.

Most protein supplements don't have creatine in them. Creatine just gives you energy to complete high intensity workouts (mostly weightlifting), but it does cause you to retain some water to help your muscles. You may gain a small ammount of weight in water while taking it, but that'll dissapear again once you stop taking it. So it doesn't really cause you to gain fat, but there's probably no reason to take it if you're not lifting.
I'd recommend protein bars over the protein shakes, the liquids don't really fill you up as much as a bar does, as the bars usually have oatmeal and stuff in them. The downside is they can be expensive, so being a poor cfi I tried making a few batches of homemade protein bars, all you'd need to buy would be some protein powder from gnc or vitamin world or something. I can't cook much more than a grilled cheese, but they turned out decently, here's the recipe. http://people.smu.edu/jowillia/recipes/peanut_butter_banana_bars.htm

Other posts had some good ideas.. nuts are good (especially walnuts and almonds, low in sat. fat), dried fruit (apricots, bananas) though they won't fill you up as much as whole fruit, but they're easier to carry. Stuff to avoid: anything high in sugar or starches (white bread), unless you need some energy quick, you'll be hungry and tired a couple hours later. For long lasting energy try stuff like oatmeal, whole grains, rice, fruit, milk, yogurt etc.

I carry Myoplex carb sense bars, foil packs of tuna & chicken, and some almonds for snacks. Luckily, we get some quality crew meals on the road. The stuff I carry is mostly for the airline days when there is no time to stop and get something decent.

Back in the commuter days, I carried small cans of Chef Boy Ardee raviole, chicken & rice, and soup, etc. Those worked in a pinch or when we got in late and no place was open.

I used to make sandwiches the night before a trip, put them in the freezer, pull them out in the morning, and put them in my flight bag. By the time they were thawed, I was hungry.

Last edited:
cforst513 said:
bring along some apples. here at school, i usually buy 5-6 apples to eat for lunch during the week. they don't go bad in that short period of time, are quite filling, are good for you, and they help give you strong and healthy teeth and gums! heh heh, i sound like a dentist.

Well you sound like someone I'd never invite to a party.

convair007 said:
I recommend "CLIF Bars", They're made with organic stuff. I know what you're probably thinking. (these things probably taste horrible) But I'm a pretty picky eater and they are really good. I recommend Carrot Cake, but they come in tons of flavors.

Clif Bars are the sh!t! They don't melt, they taste great, they're small, and cheap(97 cents each at my local Target). I start each week long trip with 15-20 of 'em. They're usually all gone by the time I get home.

Latest resources

Back