• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Career Decision (survey pilot or ????)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The short answer to the question is: Yes taking this job would hurt your chances to get hired with a major airline.

Think about it. You will be flying piston multi-engine airplanes. Piston multiengine time is only useful for getting hired on with a regional. You are already doing that. To take this job would be a step back along the career path.

An airline recruiter would take a look at your resume and ask why you chose to take a backward step. In my opinion this would indicate to the recruiter that you don't really know what you want to do, or are not committed to you career goal. Not a good thing for a recruiter to think about you.

If the majors are your ultimate goal, then stick with the regional.

The short answer to the question is: Yes taking this job would hurt your chances to get hired with a major airline.

Think about it. You will be flying piston multi-engine airplanes. Piston multiengine time is only useful for getting hired on with a regional. You are already doing that. To take this job would be a step back along the career path.

An airline recruiter would take a look at your resume and ask why you chose to take a backward step. In my opinion this would indicate to the recruiter that you don't really know what you want to do, or are not committed to you career goal. Not a good thing for a recruiter to think about you.

If the majors are your ultimate goal, then stick with the regional.

Take the hometown job then network your way into a better corporate job if you get bored. Staying at a regional where you won't upgrade for 4 to 5 years is career suicide.

TP

hoover said:
hoover said:

An airline recruiter would take a look at your resume and ask why you chose to take a backward step.

I'd tell that airline recruiter to go screw himself. Why would a pilot looking to secure his and/or his families future financially be a "step" backwards? That is a prefect example of whats wrong with the airline career path.

Sticky said:
I'd tell that airline recruiter to go screw himself. Why would a pilot looking to secure his and/or his families future financially be a "step" backwards? That is a prefect example of whats wrong with the airline career path.

My thoughts exactly. I posted a message on here about a month ago, in another thread, that people need to live life for themselves and their familes, and not plan their life around what an airline interviewer might think.

Some people are so caught up in what is a better job, a lateral job, and what is moving backwards, that they forget about the importance of quality of life and a family.

There is a lot to be said for having a job in your hometown, that pays decent, gives you a life with your family, and where you can afford to buy at least some kind of house.

I think QOL, stability, and living where you want, are equally valid, if not more valid, reasons to take a job, besides just airplane size. So what if it is a smaller plane, or equal size. People with normal jobs do not fixate on the size of their office and desk. They think about thinks like pay, benefits, stability, location and family life. And if more people in aviation would consider these things, rather than being in some misguided race for a bigger plane, well aviation might just change.

If some airline interviewer or other pilot looked negatively at you for choosing a job that gave you more time with your family and an actual life at home, well its obvious who has priorities straight, and its not them.

No pilot on their death bed is wishing their had only flown a bigger size plane, but I am sure many thousands had wished they had spent more time with their families.

414Flyer said:
My thoughts exactly. I posted a message on here about a month ago, in another thread, that people need to live life for themselves and their familes, and not plan their life around what an airline interviewer might think.

Some people are so caught up in what is a better job, a lateral job, and what is moving backwards, that they forget about the importance of quality of life and a family.

There is a lot to be said for having a job in your hometown, that pays decent, gives you a life with your family, and where you can afford to buy at least some kind of house.

I think QOL, stability, and living where you want, are equally valid, if not more valid, reasons to take a job, besides just airplane size. So what if it is a smaller plane, or equal size. People with normal jobs do not fixate on the size of their office and desk. They think about thinks like pay, benefits, stability, location and family life. And if more people in aviation would consider these things, rather than being in some misguided race for a bigger plane, well aviation might just change.

If some airline interviewer or other pilot looked negatively at you for choosing a job that gave you more time with your family and an actual life at home, well its obvious who has priorities straight, and its not them.

No pilot on their death bed is wishing their had only flown a bigger size plane, but I am sure many thousands had wished they had spent more time with their families.

AMEN!! Finally a level headed forum member! I couldn't have said it better myself. If you ask me, your post should be a pop-up banner one must click "accept" before entering these boards. Just kidding of course. Funny how most pilots look down on career piston pilots, meanwhile it's us who complain the least, fight for QOL, have better pay then some RJ captains, and lives outside of the cockpit.

Last edited:
I left the airlines a year ago to be a survey pilot. My QOL has increased greatly. I make more money than Captains at my former airline, have holidays off, (and make enough money to buy a confirmed airline ticket home for them--no more trying to nonrev or trying to find a jumpseat home during the holidays:) ) have spent more time with my wife last month than I did in a whole year as an airline pilot, and am thinking about buying a house. It may not be a "dream" job, but it sure could be worse.

FlightTraker

I saw Earthdata sometimes has a opening posted. How are they as a company?

414Flyer said:

Great post 414. Not all airline interviewers are alike. Many of them/us have families and respect people who make good decisions for the benefit of their families. It might well be the same reason some pilot chooses to work with HR instead of flying the line regularly. They need to be home more. Some of these gung-ho pilot types with their career goals and country club lifestyle dreams can be a real turn off. It's all about them.
For the most part the days of working for one airline for 20-30 years are over. The UAL's NWA's and Delta's will either emerge from bankruptcy as a shadow of their former selves or they will be replaced by upstarts with an equally precarious future as the cycle begins again. Look at Pan AM, Eastern and TWA? Do you really want to chase that at the expense of your family?

Latest resources

Back