Career Decision (survey pilot or ????)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
update:

The interview went really really well. They asked great questions, I provided good honest answers and they seemed to respond well. I don't think I am the most experienced/qualified applicant they are reviewing but they seemed happy and pleased with me as an individual and my commitment to them and the career. It was a very straightforward process, just seeing if they could get along with me and putting a face and a personality with my resume. I think they are still waiting to talk to a couple more individuals and then they will make a decision, hopefully sooner than later...I'll keep you posted.

Fingers crossed...

(obviously under the encouragement of the great advice posted above, I'll accept it if offered)

414Flyer said:
I saw Earthdata sometimes has a opening posted. How are they as a company?

I actually got a quick tour of one of there facilities. My company bought a spare 12" lens from them, and I flew down to pick it up. Earth Data seemed like a very professional firm. The office/lab looked brand new, with helpful people who seemed happy to be there. I've known two guys who've interviewed as pilots with them too. It seems Earth Data pays fairly, but expects pilots to be on the road for many weeks at a time. Last I heard, they were trying to implement a system of rotating crews while on assignment. Something like 4 weeks on the road, 2 week home with 1 of the weeks off.

brvopilot said:
The interview went really really well.

Good to hear! Believe it or not, I've meet some of those guys during a fuel stop. I landed at their airport ;), and while taxing in saw them prepping the camera equipment. They were doing the same project in their home state that we were doing in ND, SD, and NE. Seemed like good people.

Im a up and comer and after a year purusing flight info and seeking valued opinions from you members Ive decided that its a horrible time to be a pilot and I do NOT want to go towards any airline. I dont care about the jazz and flash I just want a good QOL, home most every night, and a decent paycheck. Pistons, turboprops, jets whatever. There is more to life than being a pilot although most of us define a big part of ourselves that way. Live life and have a good time.

RichardRambone said:
There is more to life than being a pilot although most of us define a big part of ourselves that way. Live life and have a good time.

As my two year old daughter said to me when I told her we needed to go eat breakfast, "No daddy, we need to laugh and live"

"From the mouth of babes..."

RichardRambone said:
Im a up and comer and after a year purusing flight info and seeking valued opinions from you members Ive decided that its a horrible time to be a pilot and I do NOT want to go towards any airline. I dont care about the jazz and flash I just want a good QOL, home most every night, and a decent paycheck. Pistons, turboprops, jets whatever. There is more to life than being a pilot although most of us define a big part of ourselves that way. Live life and have a good time.

Funny how this is almost never mentioned here. After 8 years in aviation, I've only hear other pilots say that a handful of times. Funny how pilots rate their value based of the size of the aircraft they fly. On top of that, how many line up to fly 50-70 people around in a jet for 25 bucks an hour. Guess they feel that a uniform and the perceived glamour from passengers is worth it. Not to mention when the major start hiring again, they'll be first in line again:rolleyes: .

Speaking of Survey companies does anyone know about the one at the PNE (northeast philly) airport?

Any info would be helpful.

Thanks

Also if you guys are talking about Earth Data with the flt dept out of Hagerstown MD I was supposed to interview with them several years ago back in late 2002 for a PA31-350 CP job. The head of the dept. I think his name was Tim or Tom was very nice the several times we spoke on the phone. At the time they had 2 PA31's, one single-eng turbine and a G2. It didn't look like I'd be sent anywhere near the G2. They were lookinig for a guy to take the PA31 on long assignments somewhere and operate independantly.

brvopilot said:
As my two year old daughter said to me when I told her we needed to go eat breakfast, "No daddy, we need to laugh and live"

"From the mouth of babes..."

By the way I'm single, no debt and no kids. Makes a difference.

pilotyip said:
$135K a year is still a good job and on top of that to get 12 days off per month is really a good deal. Where else can someone make that kind of money with that time off. I know, I know, someone has a friend who meet someone from college who was making $200K/yr at age 29 selling mortgages. My brother a nearly 30 year manager at GM, with a master's in business does not clear $100K/yr. The salary expectations are out of touch with the reality of the marketplace. I would take that job any day. BTW, the top DA-20 pay/hr at USA Jet is $120.50

Amen to this pilotyip!!

I have a hard time understanding why pilots seem to think they are underpaid, and can complain about a $135K/year salary. Most people will be lucky to make half that at some point in their career. Go up to your average person and tell them you make $135K/year and are underpaid, and see if they have any sympathy for you. They will have none! Try telling a nurse, teacher, policemen, firement, etc., that you make $135K/year and are underpaid, and see if they have any sympathy. They make 1/3 of that, and will probably never make much more.

Except for certain specialty career fields, such as doctors, lawyers, and some others, very few career fields offer you the opportunity to make that kind of money. In most career fields, salaries top off around the $70K-$80K/ year range, for some maybe a little higher. The problem is not that pilots are underpaid, its that they have too high of expectations of what they should be making. Even regional pilots make equivelent to, and in some cases more than what you would expect to make in other career fields, especially starting out. I think this "underpaid" issue is being carried a little to far. I even read a post the other day on a thread in one of these boards where someone complained about the fact that we are entering into a day and age where wide-body captains make $175/hour. Assuming a 75 hour minimum guarantee, which seems to be the average for most airlines, that is atleast $158K/year. Yeah, I have sympathy for that person! I'll take $135K/year to sit in a "cramped" cockpit 220 days a year and fly airplanes for a living anyday over making $70K/ year to sit in a cramped office or cubicle doing reports 260 days out of the year.

My buddy was complaining about making 50K a year right outta school as a software writer. Thats huge cash to me. I guess people won't be satisfied as long as someone out there is making more money.

Latest resources

Back