Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fulcrum

stranger to the ground
capt is running late and wants to skip the checklist WWYD ?

just looking for some intelligent responses to this question some airlines are asking
thanks
fulcrum

Insist on doing the checklist! Should anything happen then there is at least a record of it on the CVR. There is no excuse for skipping the checklist. They say that there are 7 factors leading up to an incident / accident, the Captain being late and not running the checklist could well be at least the first 2.

Victor Meldrew said:
Insist on doing the checklist! Should anything happen then there is at least a record of it on the CVR. There is no excuse for skipping the checklist. They say that there are 7 factors leading up to an incident / accident, the Captain being late and not running the checklist could well be at least the first 2.

Absolutely.

An NTSB study found something like 60% of all airline accident flights were running late.

It's never worth rushing.

Do it right the first time, even if it takes longer.

i had this happen to me recently and when I insisted and he refused, I just read it aloud with me doing both the challenge and response. That way it was covered and recorded (don't want to embarrass the family if I am killed!) and embarrassed the hell out of the captain. what's he going to do, go tell the chief pilot I didn't follow his orders??? he was a bit mad though!!

Interesting thing about airplanes certified for a two-pilot crew.

They need two pilots to fly them.

If one pilot gets up, takes his (or her) flight bag, and walks up the jetway -- the airplane becomes a building with wheels.

Usually about the time you pull your bag out of the well and say, "I'll call scheduling to get you a new F/O" the Captain realizes the error in his or her ways.

But what about stirring the pot. Isn't that looked down at interviews? Don't they want to hear that you will tactfully solve it?

^^^^^^^^

yeah becuase that sets up a even better cockpit environment now that you have shown the capt how big your pen0r is

How long does it take to do a checklist? If your late you're late... just do it.

Unless of course its the go home leg... Just kidding!

You don't have to play War with a Capt who doesnt want to run a check list... If he is worried about getting a late out time there is nothing in our book (XJT) that says you have to run the check list before you block out.

I had a few guys rushed and once they get their out time (read getting paid) 99.9% of guys will take the time to do things right. Money is a great motivator. If not (they call for the through stop vs. the full receiving check list) I just run the whole thing.

B36 said:
i had this happen to me recently and when I insisted and he refused, I just read it aloud with me doing both the challenge and response.
Did the same thing a few weeks ago. Capt wanted to skip the originating checklist (takes a mere 15 seconds to complete!!) and go straight to the before start, so I just start reading the originating. He did respond to it, and after we were all finished, I think he realized how dumb it was to make such a fuss over it. It took more time to argue over doing the checklist than it took to just read it.

Latest resources

Back