CAPT Grounded - Karma Prevails!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Salukipilot4590,

Thanks for the props. Just spread the word that CAPT isn't the place to do your flight training. That's the only message I hope people take away with. Everything else, including my past, is secondary.

No prob man.

Life is nothing but a game...sometimes you win, sometimes you lose...sometimes you get herpes.

Dude, none of this means that you're still not a complete tool for what has happened to you. You spent all that money yet you still take no responsibility for where your career has gone. Here's the deal junior..........you tried a shortcut. You tried to spend your way into a job/career you weren't qualified for. You tried to spend your way around hard work, accountability and genuine experience and knowledge.

Now the aviation industry is reminding you that you were never qualified in the first place. Now the industry is rewarding your attempt at a career shortcut. Now the rest of us are laughing at your immaturity. Here's the best career advice your gonna get. Go out and learn something about flying. Beg, borrow, steal...........whatever, get your CFI and start working. Otherwise you can go back to your cubicle and stare out the window and talk about flying while those who have made the effort live your dreams. Seriously, get a clue new guy.

Dude, none of this means that you're still not a complete tool for what has happened to you. You spent all that money yet you still take no responsibility for where your career has gone. Here's the deal junior..........you tried a shortcut. You tried to spend your way into a job/career you weren't qualified for. You tried to spend your way around hard work, accountability and genuine experience and knowledge.

Now the aviation industry is reminding you that you were never qualified in the first place. Now the industry is rewarding your attempt at a career shortcut. Now the rest of us are laughing at your immaturity. Here's the best career advice your gonna get. Go out and learn something about flying. Beg, borrow, steal...........whatever, get your CFI and start working. Otherwise you can go back to your cubicle and stare out the window and talk about flying while those who have made the effort live your dreams. Seriously, get a clue new guy.

Whatever man...like I said, it's not about me anymore. It's about telling people that CAPT isn't the place to do your flight training. And with your sentiment toward me, I hope everyone else can take away the same message: Avoid CAPT.

Comments like yours only strengthen my message. I thank you for it, sir.

Coopervane,

They were absolutely not hiring when I got out. ASA was my primary objective when I was nearing graduation. And they were not hiring. Their HR told our program that they were not taking anyone.

ASA wasn't hiring in 05-06? Your "program" lied to you or they were just plain lazy. You should have asked ASA yourself. I know this is your point that CAPT is worthless, but surely somebody in this world advised you to do it on your own.

I've probably had 100+ conversations with people who want to fly and ask my opinion on the best way to do it. About 1/2 way into my speech I see their eyes glaze over and thats when I know they really don't want to do this job. Some will say "nevermind it's not worth all that!". I don't feel sorry for them. I would bet many here have experienced the same question, it seems to happen everyday. It definitely isn't for everybody.

I got my first jet job flying a Lear and was kinda surprised when I got it. They had hundreds of resumes on file. I rented a 172 and flew 1100 miles to deliver mine in person. The owner interviewed me and hired me on the spot. I later learned that my captain had done the same thing by car a year earlier and thats what got us both hired. When I sent in my app to ASA, I sent it via FedEx, mailed it, faxed it , and E-mailed it. I updated it every 100 hours and bugged them until they called. I did this with several carriers and got several interviews. This was different than simply sending out a single resume, much less depending on a school to do it. That is what most of us did, thats why there's not a lot of sympathy on this board.

I am who you are competing with. This is what must be done for this career.

I do feel your pain, but again it seems like it was easier for you to throw money at the process instead of doing whatever it took. CAPT is a scumbag operation that lied to you and told you not to waste your time like the rest of us did. They were unfortunately wrong.

Good luck in whatever you do

Last edited:
Coopervane,

Then you just confirmed another lie from CAPT for me. Seems to me like I have a collection of lies and empty promises from them that knows no end. Anyway...

The program told us that the only way to get us cadets hired on is if they handled all the paperwork. Don't forget, we had very low time compared to our competition (read: you and your colleagues). And the program effectively held our future hostage when we gave them all the money up front. We did what they told us to do. Straying from this is like asking to be shot. Believe me, I wanted the career.

I understand where you are coming from about being aggressive and vigilant and keep on chasing the dream. But you have to understand that I had no more money left. And no one was going to give me 100 hours for free because I want this career. I had no money to fly anymore. Now if you would have told me that I should have updated my resume and submitted it to ASA every month to change my total time by 2 hours a month and that would have gotten me hired, then you're right, I screwed up big time.

This whole experience have left a very bad taste in my mouth on aviation. I still love flying and love to share this incredible experience with anyone. The game's over for me. I'm just trying to make sure the guy behind me don't fall into the same hole I did.

I appreciate your comments and thank you. Best of luck to you as well.

Whatever man...like I said, it's not about me anymore. It's about telling people that CAPT isn't the place to do your flight training. And with your sentiment toward me, I hope everyone else can take away the same message: Avoid CAPT.

Comments like yours only strengthen my message. I thank you for it, sir.

CAPT is shut down right? So what are you on here to tell people?? "Don't go to a school that has closed it's doors?" What's the point? That's like coming on here and telling people not to fly on PanAm. You're really on here to launch a smear campaign and make excuses for why your career hasn't progressed the way you would have liked. I can't tell you how many times I have been promised things in aviation that have not come true. Upgrades, jobs etc......

In the end, you need to take responsibility for your choices, make new decisions and get on with it. You've been complaining for pages and in the end you're getting nowhere and you come off like a 5th grader.

Are you married? Kids? I think you said you still live with your parents? How old are you? Do you have a college degree? These are all huge factors that should sway your decision from going to the regionals anyways. This could have been the most expensive blessing in disguise you could ever imagine. I'm not guna get into the obvious reasons why the airlines are hit or miss, but consider yourself lucky you could have been like those Chinese student with 100K in debt and nothing to show for it. You've been obviously successful thus far since you worked from Pvt-Comm Multi. Do whatever job you have now work on that CFI then get the CFII and if you can your MEI. In a few years you will get that airline job if it infact really is your dream. You gotta want it with your whole heart mind body and soul if you don't let someone else who really does have that seat.

You're just full of excuses, aren't you?

There's a reason why nothing is possible behind every corner. You have a mindset that is not conducive to success. Others seem to have moved on after attending CAPT with good results.

I recall reading about a reporter who usedto interview athletes after competition. He conveyed a story of a tennis match where he intervireweed both the winner and loser. When he asked the winner how he managed to win the game and beat his opponent, he replied "I don't know... I I just do it." When thevreporter asked the loser ofthe match why he didn't win, the player acknowledged every facet and detail as to his failure and why he didn't win. He had all of the reasons figured out as to why his performance wasn't able to win him the match.

Take it as you will. But sometimes you need to just go out there and do it, instead of finding reasons why things in life wont work or find external reasons without taking any blame or responsibilty.

You came out of that program like many others who were able to move on to a career. It's the individual in life not program. I've known very smart people go to state universities, even though were accepted into Ivy League colleges. They still succeeded in life.

The game is not over. Only if you want it to be which I think you do. You've ejust made excuses to yourself and blame CAPT for your failings. You couldve done somethingto further your aspirations but instead find solace and secuirty in making CAPT seem like they caused all of this.

Tell me, whyt have so many others done well with CAPT, while you got screwed?

I'm sorry, I was getting to the question. The reason I didn't apply to:

ASA
They were not hiring anyone at the time. CAPT promised to mail my resume to them regardless. I don't know if they did or didn't. And they never gave me a firm answer on it. And I never got a call from ASA.

Pinnacle
I opted out on Pinnacle because at the time I heard a whole bunch of nightmare stories how they were right up there next to Mesa as being one of the worst airlines to fly for. I may have been misinformed, but it scared me out of applying with them.

Chautauqua and Republic
These two airlines, and the rest of the airlines you didn't metion, wanted more time than I had. I believe the lowest was 800/100. I just didn't have the total time.

I did attend an American Eagle job fair. And they flat out told me they wanted 800/100. At least I got a t-shirt for my troubles. :)

Now, I graduated CAPT in October 2005. This means my grace period ends in May 2006. It wasn't until around March 2006 did I realize that CAPT took me for a roller coaster ride. Given the application process time requirements on a good day, I knew that by the time I was in with an airline that actually paid me, I would have been well out of my grace period. I was very concerned about making that first payment. So there I was...continue chasing this career with no money to pay the bills...or get a desk job and make good with the loan payments and feel like a honorable man. I opted for the latter. It's not flying an airplane, but I have my honor intact by keeping to the promise of paying back what I borrowed.

Life goes on for me...it just goes on with warning people about CAPT. It really is just that simple for me now.

Ninja,
I started flying in 1991, when the entire industry was in a huge slump. I was told I was crazy and stupid to be pursuing a career in aviation. I honestly thought that the best I would ever do would be to become a CFI, if I was lucky. (Even that was a tough gig to get back then). It took me a long time, and I worked for many companies since then, but I now make $80k/year as a jet captain, and life is pretty good. Don't tell me it is over for you. You've still got 28 good years left in you (maybe 38 by the time we get there!) Don't ever give up.

You admitted that you will now be forever embarrassed at that DC-9 type on your certificate at future interviews. You've inadvertantly admitted to the rest of us that you screwed up. What you are missing is that those words on your certificate are the biggest opportunity you could ever receive. You face your failure, own it, and tell the interviewer with your chin held high, along with a little chuckle, that that was your biggest screw-up in your life. Tell him how it almost ruined your life, tell him how you learned so many life lessons about what it really takes to succeed, and how you then went back and earned your CFI and struggled to earn the right to sit in front of him. I GUARANTEE that you will get the job. Because he will want to fly with someone like you who can admit your mistakes and learn from them. We all want to fly with someone like that. It's the pilots who slip through the cracks, who have never made a mistake that wasn't someone else's fault, who are jerks that no one wants to fly with. And if someone like that makes it to captain, they are triple-jerks, and dangerous ones at that. You do want to be respected when you make jet captain, don't you?

One last thing. I also once tried to take a short cut. I actually got some real heavy experience on my resume (before I got my CFI), but it didn't work out. But I learned so much from that experience, that I wouldn't have traded it for the world. It really was a crappy experience but I now know what it takes to make me happy. Don't give up!!!!!!!!

Latest resources

Back