• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Capitol question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
face it people are bypassing jobs at ati in hopes of being recalled at abx those further up on the list don't want to commit to 2 years at ati. Spin it anyway you like but that's the reality of the subject. In the mean time i think you need to just stfu and be happy some of your fellow pilots have the ability to get off unemployment and feed their families. They are being treated pretty well here and everyone of them i've met seem sincerely happy to be flying again. Maybe you should take your drivel over to one of the german cargo forums and discuss your plight with them.....

blah, blah, blah

Geezzz, you guys are really something else. Entertaining to listen to if nothing else, but growing up a little should be posted on your ‘to do list’ for the future. Even here on FI there have been times in the past where you can have differing opinions without all the rhetoric.

While only my personal opinion, each of you has posted valid points at times. There is no doubt that ABX took a concessionary agreement, they had no where to go but down and, overall they (1224) did a decent job at limiting the amount of givebacks. It’s a new world for ABX/1224 operating solely in the ACMI market….there is a learning curve, just look at their management and staffing issues. A few years into the future and they may figure some of it out, but probably will not master ACMI’s with such a large percentage of the business with DHL (ATI’s BAX is much smaller).

Oddly, the 767 doesn’t really gain anything on the DC8 (70s) until you break about 5 hrs of flight time, which kills most of the domestic. As far as the other pro/con argument on a/c goes…767 has the cost/restrictions of ETOPS, extra crewmember (IRO..which is fairly expensive), but less engines. DC8 (DC10,74, L10, etc.) has more engines, no ETOPs, extra crewmember (typically less than IRO costs), and much larger range.

Lastly, comparing ATI to ABX is unrealistic. ATI is working from scales that are a decade old. IMO they will not match the ABX scale in the future, life just doesn’t work that way. Home-basing…it is a very nice thing, although hard to put a dollar figure on it. Nite’s figures are way off…just remember what ABX spent on tickets for Osaka. It’s individually specific to each crewmember as to the value and is difficult to put a dollar figure (in salary) to for calculations.

Good post ABV... and nitefr8, well....

BAX did get bought by Germans... that's why ATI was spun off to Mr. God and family first said the FOX...

We now have ETOPS... Slowly we are coming to part. I agree with homebasing thing about it being hard to put a $$ value.

nite you still sound pretty bitter to have a job while many are on unemployment...

Geezzz, you guys are really something else. Entertaining to listen to if nothing else, but growing up a little should be posted on your ‘to do list’ for the future. Even here on FI there have been times in the past where you can have differing opinions without all the rhetoric.

While only my personal opinion, each of you has posted valid points at times. There is no doubt that ABX took a concessionary agreement, they had no where to go but down and, overall they (1224) did a decent job at limiting the amount of givebacks. It’s a new world for ABX/1224 operating solely in the ACMI market….there is a learning curve, just look at their management and staffing issues. A few years into the future and they may figure some of it out, but probably will not master ACMI’s with such a large percentage of the business with DHL (ATI’s BAX is much smaller).

Oddly, the 767 doesn’t really gain anything on the DC8 (70s) until you break about 5 hrs of flight time, which kills most of the domestic. As far as the other pro/con argument on a/c goes…767 has the cost/restrictions of ETOPS, extra crewmember (IRO..which is fairly expensive), but less engines. DC8 (DC10,74, L10, etc.) has more engines, no ETOPs, extra crewmember (typically less than IRO costs), and much larger range.

Lastly, comparing ATI to ABX is unrealistic. ATI is working from scales that are a decade old. IMO they will not match the ABX scale in the future, life just doesn’t work that way. Home-basing…it is a very nice thing, although hard to put a dollar figure on it. Nite’s figures are way off…just remember what ABX spent on tickets for Osaka. It’s individually specific to each crewmember as to the value and is difficult to put a dollar figure (in salary) to for calculations.

The union (1224) came up with 7K as the value of Home-basing. Remember the ticket cost that your company pays compared to joe pilot is quit a bit different. ABX paid crazy prises for tickets because of under-staffing and last minute purchases. I can buy 2 round trip domestic tickets for under 1k per month do it all the time...I would not accept 30K less pay over home-basing. Per JH when we discussed pay scales before the contract signing, the DC8 cost 2-3 times as much to operate and maintain operate. Which will be ATSG's angle why we cannot pay as much ATI. That was also 1224's reason not to match ATI's pay. IMHO

The union (1224) came up with 7K as the value of Home-basing. Remember the ticket cost that your company pays compared to joe pilot is quit a bit different. ABX paid crazy prises for tickets because of under-staffing and last minute purchases. I can buy 2 round trip domestic tickets for under 1k per month do it all the time...I would not accept 30K less pay over home-basing. Per JH when we discussed pay scales before the contract signing, the DC8 cost 2-3 times as much to operate and maintain operate. Which will be ATSG's angle why we cannot pay as much ATI. That was also 1224's reason not to match ATI's pay. IMHO

A. What a 1224 pilot values home-basing for and what an ATI pilot values it for are different...different operations by far. The 7K value...well, it's way to big a variable. No different that JM tell you that our give back is somewhere between 30-48% (big numbers, big differences).

B. It may matter what a company pays for X tickets when trying to figure out the value in reference to a CBA, but trying to pin down a number is like anyone (JH) telling you what leases/mx costs are for a particular airline or fleet type. Especially when a lot is done through AMES and CAM...makes David Copperfield jealous.

C. JH talking DC8 maint and cost. All facts and information based upon DC8 60's with JT3's. Totally different numbers when you get into 70's/CFM and a/c with different cycles. Don't get me wrong, the DC8 has a limited lifecycle (in dollars) and ATI will not have them forever, but as mentioned before, lets talk again in 5 yrs. (remember ATI ops a lot of govt./fuel paid flights).

In all, I'm glad 1224 did not match ATI's pay. No doubt, ATI needs to increase their payscales...to what, well I'm not well positioned to know just yet. Anyone with a reasonable approach to their career should know that whipsawing isn't in anyones best interest. Let's hope that each carrier continues with that in mind, but also achieves their individual airlines/unions concerns while maintaining a balanced field (I know, easier said than done).

In all, I'm glad 1224 did not match ATI's pay. No doubt, ATI needs to increase their payscales...to what, well I'm not well positioned to know just yet. Anyone with a reasonable approach to their career should know that whipsawing isn't in anyones best interest. Let's hope that each carrier continues with that in mind, but also achieves their individual airlines/unions concerns while maintaining a balanced field (I know, easier said than done).

Good post..

I'm also glad 1224 did not match ATI pay scales. We are looking for a raise and make the 767 a home-based airplane. Right now, our contract allows the company to base the 76.
We definitely need to clean up our first contract that is the one we are working under. ATI has OPS SPECS that are very hard to get nowadays. Hopefully our combi contract with the military will continue to flourish. For now, BAX is growing and their demand for the 8 has increased. Everyone thought the 8 might be going soon but so far there is no end in sight for us..

Hey, AGREENFO, have you tried calling the CP at Dusty? I hear they are assigning more aircraft to their cargo routes? # is 800FALCON1.

Last edited:
A. What a 1224 pilot values home-basing for and what an ATI pilot values it for are different...different operations by far. The 7K value...well, it's way to big a variable. No different that JM tell you that our give back is somewhere between 30-48% (big numbers, big differences).

B. It may matter what a company pays for X tickets when trying to figure out the value in reference to a CBA, but trying to pin down a number is like anyone (JH) telling you what leases/mx costs are for a particular airline or fleet type. Especially when a lot is done through AMES and CAM...makes David Copperfield jealous.

C. JH talking DC8 maint and cost. All facts and information based upon DC8 60's with JT3's. Totally different numbers when you get into 70's/CFM and a/c with different cycles. Don't get me wrong, the DC8 has a limited lifecycle (in dollars) and ATI will not have them forever, but as mentioned before, lets talk again in 5 yrs. (remember ATI ops a lot of govt./fuel paid flights).

It really does not mater what you or I think the 767 VS DC8 cost to operate is...it is what JH thinks the cost is which is my point! I am not negotiating with ATI... ATSG/JH is.... and that is where the bullet meets the bone. Which is also why the pay will be lower IMHO.

Is it true some A.T.I pilots voted for a Miami base? And if so why is it so important now.

No. ATI pilots voted the current contract in that back in 2000 it allowed the company to base any new aircraft. Nobody thought they would then. Some guys bid the Miami base when the company based 1 76 there. That is another ball of wax...

Latest resources

Back